Best use for a spare drive?

• Hi,

I started out using a 128GB NVMe M.2 SSD as the Root/OS drive. Over a brief period of time as I discussed my OMV use case in these forums I realized a few things, such as that RAID is really not an ideal solution for storing data around the home, instead it is better to focus on data backup solution and that best way to run OMV is on a USB drive instead of a SSD as it makes it very easy for a Linux newbie, like me, to clone the USB thumb drive on windows system and have a backup of operating system on another handy USB thumb drive. Now, I have switched over to a USB thumb drive as my OS/Boot drive, that leaves me with a Spare 128GB NVMe M.2 SSD drive that already has OMV from orginal install on it. Other then just treating it as extra OS backup what else can I use it for? I was thinking of installing another OS, Say linux mint, or even windows on it! is that a good idea? I am open to any other use suggestions for this drive. I already have a different 128GB Sata SSD dedicated to DOCKER use. (Though, I am still not comfortable with using Docker so I have not installed the plugin yet in the new USB thumb drive boot setup.) Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.

Regards,

Navi

OMV 7.4.2-2 (Sandworm) on ASROCK B560M-ITX/ac Motherboard, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel Pentium Gold 6405 CPU, Silverstone ECS06 6 Ports SATA Gen3x2 (6Gbps) Non-RAID PCI-e card, 7(2Parity+5Data) Toshiba 2.5 inch Laptop SATA HDD's 1TB each for Data, SnapRaid with MergerFS plugin, Kingston USB-3 Data Traveler Exodia DTX/32 GB Pen Drive for Root/OS, 128GB SATA SSD for use by DOCKER and spare 128 GB PCIE M.2 SSD. Motherboard has 4 native SATA ports and 1 M.2 PCIE port. SilverStone Sugo SG13 Case.

• Other then just treating it as extra OS backup what else can I use it for? I was thinking of installing another OS, Say linux mint, or even windows on it! is that a good idea? I am open to any other use suggestions for this drive.

UPDATE: Ok, so it turns out that this drive really isn't a spare drive after all! Recently I started using PhotoPrism plugin and designated the other 128GB SATA SSD as PhotoPrism database drive, I soon realized that after indexing 65K Family Photo and Video files the PhotoPrism database quickly increased in size to occupy 60%+ of 128GB SATA SSD. (Now when I am comfortable enough to mess around with Docker setup I will use the still free 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD as Docker data drive.)

OMV 7.4.2-2 (Sandworm) on ASROCK B560M-ITX/ac Motherboard, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel Pentium Gold 6405 CPU, Silverstone ECS06 6 Ports SATA Gen3x2 (6Gbps) Non-RAID PCI-e card, 7(2Parity+5Data) Toshiba 2.5 inch Laptop SATA HDD's 1TB each for Data, SnapRaid with MergerFS plugin, Kingston USB-3 Data Traveler Exodia DTX/32 GB Pen Drive for Root/OS, 128GB SATA SSD for use by DOCKER and spare 128 GB PCIE M.2 SSD. Motherboard has 4 native SATA ports and 1 M.2 PCIE port. SilverStone Sugo SG13 Case.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von NsinghP ()

• crashtest

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!