Hardware build

• Hello, I have been interested in NAS devices for the past few days.

As for work and hobbies, I constantly need access to files and I'm tired of going to the PC every now and then to move something to a mobile phone or another PC (pictures, programs, installations). I'm also tired of having my PC on all day and night just for torrents. At first I wanted to buy a Synology NAS, but I gave up because of the price.

I have an older mini laptop sitting by the side and not used at all. I would use it for NAS.

Specifications of laptop:

CPU: Intel Celeron N3350, 2C/2T, 1.10GHz, 2MB cache, 6W TDP, Codename "Apollo Lake" (Goldmont, Intel 14nm)

RAM: 4GB DDR3

SSD: 64GB Flash (eMMC), M.2 SATA (2242) (slot is empty right now)

HDD: not available

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 500 (iGPU), 12EU/96SP, 0.20-0.65GHz, Architecture "Gen 9" (Apollo Lake GT1)

Connectors: 1x Micro HDMI, 1x USB-C 3.0 with DisplayPort 1.2, 2x USB-A 3.0, 1x jack

Wireless: Wi-Fi 5 (WLAN 802.11a/b/g/n/ac), Bluetooth 4.2

Unfortunately, there is no Ethernet RJ45 port. I have a gigabit Ethernet - USB 3.0 adapter. I haven't tried it yet, but I hope it works on OMV.

Unfortunately, there is no option for HDD SATA port. It has an M2 connector, but that complicates things for me if I go to some adapters, etc., because I can't close the case. I want it to be as compact as possible. SSD is not an option for me due to the price.

-so I would connect external drives via USB ports as they do on Rpi OMV systems. I know I'm losing the option for RAID because USB isn't supported and it's not as reliable as SATA

Due to the limitation of hard disks, I am thinking.

Option 1:

-buy 2 or more external drives that connect via usb 3.0 and the problem is solved (make rsync on one external drive for backup)

-the problem is that one day if I decide to buy a NAS device or take a motherboard with SATA ports, the external removable disks will remain unused.

Option 2:

-buy a 3.5" HDD like WD Red or similar

-buy HDD Docking Station usb 3.0 like this one: Qoltec 2x HDD / SSD docking station | 2.5"/3.5" | USB 3.0

This 2nd option gives me an advantage later and I can use the same discs in other setups. I also have a better quality disc that I can change if needed.

Also mentioned Dock station has the following: "The presented model of Qoltec docking station has the function of creating copies of data between drives in offline mode by pressing the switch on the case. Cloning is done without being connected to a computer, and the progress and completion of the process is indicated by luminous diodes lights."

that means I made the backup easier as well.

-limitation of this option is that the specified Dock has only 2 slots.

I wonder if the OMV is compatible with such a Dock Station? Does anyone use a similar setup? Does it work?

Do I see both drives separately or as one drive on the Dock Station?

What are the recommendations? Option 1 and option 2 are priced somewhere around there. +/- 50€

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!