Mount smb share upon boot on Linux without storing user credetentials

• I have SMB shares configured on my OMV NAS that allow anonymous read access to any device on LAN and read/write access to a user on my Windows PC.

I've got a new Linux PC and use the same login/password on it as on my Windows PC. I want SMB shares to automatically mount upon turning my Linux PC on. All the guides I find online suggest either specifying credetentials directly in the fstab file or creating a separate file contating username and password in user's home directory. Is it possible for the auto mounting to use credetentials of a currently logged in user to mount the shares, like in Windows?

New to Linux | Trying to build a proper home server in spare time.

• Since it's Linux to Linux you might want to use NFS instead of SMB.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Since it's Linux to Linux you might want to use NFS instead of SMB.

I tinkered with this section of OMV for a while and didn't figure out if it is possible to replicate permissions i have set up for SMB with NFS (read to anyone on LAN, read/write to a specific user). Can I specify a specific user in a "Client" field? Do I need to make 2 separate shares weith different privilege for the same shared folder?

New to Linux | Trying to build a proper home server in spare time.

• Not sure how to setup what you are trying to do.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• that won't work because the system user does not automatically have "sambashare" group privileges to access the SMB World from Windows.
    Like gderf stated above, you could switch to NFS - what is recommended for linux AVAHI - or you stick to Windows and use "NetSetMan" or "NetDrive" what are commercial programs to obtain a solution.

And i have to agree again to gderf, i dont understand what should be the native advantages, seen here?

DE | EN; 81er Jahrgang Spätlese, OMV Bastler, erfahrener PC-Geek, Linux begeistert, mag alles was Strom oder Netzwerk braucht 8o

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!