Portainer not running after reinstalling and reorganizing folders

• Problem:

I have Portainer installed, but its status is stuck as "Created". The old url for portainer doesn't work, and neither does the "Open Web" button. Even using the ip address of the server (rather than its alias) doesn't work. So portainer is definitely not running.

I don't know how to make it start running, or fix what's preventing it from running.

At one point I had Portainer working. But I messed with my server's file structure and changed some settings, and reinstalled Portainer.

Confusing Events leading to this:

Forgive the vagueness of "changed some settings". This is all the changes I can remember making.

My docker storage used to be inside var/appdata/docker. And all my directories were inside of /srv/fake-disk-path-1/PublicDir

At some point SSH may have locked me out of my files in Samba shares. So I used the Reset Permissions service, and that seems to have fix it.

I decided to remove PublicDir and move all its contents one level up, directly under fake-disk-path-1.

Following the advice of this TechnoDadLife's video, I changed my docker storage. I reinstalled portainer like the video said, and it still worked.

But then I reorganized the structure of my folders again. To do so I removed all shared folders, uninstalled portainer/docker again, and used WinSCP(SSH) to move folders around.

I also deleted the old docker configuration folder that existed before I moved it.

Current State:

But I've reinstalled docker, and my docker storage now points here: /srv/fake-disk-path-1/S/appdata/docker

Now this is the directory structure of my server:

I'm running OMV6 on my Helios4 and accessing it via chrome in windows 10.

My questions to you:

1. Is my directory structure and shared folders preventing portainer from working?

2. Is there a way to get portainer to run, or should I just reinstall OMV from scratch? If I can fix it, how?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's hard to know what needs to be fixed if you don't even know what you've done. I think you would end up reinstalling sooner.

• It's hard to know what needs to be fixed if you don't even know what you've done. I think you would end up reinstalling sooner.

That's fair. But before I reinstall open media vault, I want to know if my current directory and shared folder structure will prevent docker or portainer from working properly.

Docker is installed on this path: /srv/fake-disk-path-1/S/appdata/docker

• Offizieller Beitrag

I want to know if my current directory and shared folder structure will prevent docker or portainer from working properly.

Docker is installed on this path: /srv/fake-disk-path-1/S/appdata/docker

I don't see why docker shouldn't work in that directory.

But when you reinstall it will change the mount point. I'm guessing that's an old install, now mount points are done by UUID, something like this.

/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-384444af-f020-4487-ach1-5989e977f49f

You can use openmediavault-symlink to get around that, but don't do it in the docker installation path, sometimes it gives problems.

• I don't see why docker shouldn't work in that directory.

But when you reinstall it will change the mount point. I'm guessing that's an old install, now mount points are done by UUID, something like this.

/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-384444af-f020-4487-ach1-5989e977f49f

You can use openmediavault-symlink to get around that, but don't do it in the docker installation path, sometimes it gives problems.

As long as I don't have to reformat my drive to do that. Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As long as I don't have to reformat my drive to do that. Thanks.

No. After reinstalling you just have to mount the drives again. Don't format.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!