Need help setting up swag with duckdns

• Hey,

Just installed OMV6 on an old computer I got.

I managed to install docker and services like Jellyfin, nextcloud, etc and now I'm trying to make some of them accesible through WAN.

I followed these tutorials to set it up:

SWAG tutorial: https://docs.linuxserver.io/general/swag

duckdns tutorial: [How-To] Install DuckDNS. Automatic dynamic IP update.

the duckdns stack has no errors, and the swag stack says server is up with no errors, and the ports are forwarded in the router, but for some reason I cant access my domain through WAN.

This is my first time setting something like this up, and so I would really appreciate any help :)

Also attaching the stacks I've used:

Swag stack:

duckdns stack:

• geaves

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • I come from no place of authority on the matter but maybe SWAG does not like the port redirects? [450:443].

Also, out of curiosity, what are you trying to access? Did you add /modify the .conf file? (nextcloud.subdomain.conf) for example?

• I wonder though, doesn't the/a config file redirect it? I mean yeah SWAG is a redirect etc..

For fun, edit a config file and try to load it, see if the SWAG menu come sup, or the correct link. Also, I would use IP instead of app name.

My point being.

If I type in a WORKING config, I get redirected to it

If I type in a WORKING BUT DOWN config, it redirects me to the SWAG page

If I make up a name, that has no config, and I try to go to it [x.duckdns.org] I do not see SWAG page, I get page could not be displayed, which makes me thing SWAG depends on a config?

Again, I am just throwing idears out there.

• changed the ports, still no change :/

I didnt modify the conf file yet.
    I dont even get the swag page when typing in my domain, so I thought I should fix this first

Are trying to access from your LAN? If you trying to check your domain redirections from your lan, it will not work. Domain access relies on dns to redirect to your wan IP, which your router then answers and directs to the reverse proxy, which in turn directs to the hosted web page. ISPs do not allow for this kind of “hairpin” connection.

You have to check from the internet via a computer somewhere else or from the cel phone network.

The only way checking domain access can work from your lan is by employing a local dns server or doing a hosts file edit on a computer, as this will bypass an internet dns server and your router, but the ultimate test is from the afore mentioned cel network or computer in another place.

• Alright, so I managed to get the SWAG instance page (I edited the config files like fbeye said and then rebooted)
    but still no response from the domain (tried using my phone on my cel network)..

log files seem to be fine though...

• Alright, so I managed to get the SWAG instance page (I edited the config files like fbeye said and then rebooted)
    but still no response from the domain (tried using my phone on my cel network)..

log files seem to be fine though

Can you post said .config file and then verify those ports are the correct ports associated with the host/docker?

Well, now that BernH has come, I will end my assistance cause I am not as familiar with this stuff as these guys.

• What container are you trying to access? Is the container name correct for the domain name?

ie. if the container is jellyfin, you would use jellyfin.[your_domain].duckdns.org (note the container name and the subdomain have to match)

The other point to make is that this all relies on swag and the hosted containers all being on the same docker network.

I don't see any network declarations on your swag compose, so it would be on it's own swag-default network, likewise if your other services were created the same way they will all be on their own network. In order to place them on the same network you have to add a network declaration to them or build them all in one stack.

the network declaration looks like this and can be added to the end of a stack, where the #... portion is the existing stack:

Code
    services:
      # ...
    networks:
      network1:
        name: my-pre-existing-network
        external: true

If you build them all in the same stack, it would look like this:

Code
    services:

swag:
        # swag stack ...

jellyfin:
        # jellyfin stack ...

What are you using to deply these? If you are using portainer, you can also easily join an existing network from the portainer UI.

I personally prefer building larger multi-container stacks myself just so I don't have to think about the network assignments but either method works.

Here is a link to the docker compose network reference page:

Networking in Compose

Have you either copied the config files to the enabled folder or made a symlink in that folder pointing to the edited file? Only things in the enabled folder are hosted, and a swag restart is required after making the changes in order for it to see them.

• Can you post said .config file and then verify those ports are the correct ports associated with the host/docker?

Well, now that BernH has come, I will end my assistance cause I am not as familiar with this stuff as these guys.

No need to go away. :)

I don't use swag myself as you know. I use ngnx-proxy-manager because of the docker/vm/lxc/other physical system mixed environment I have, but the basic principals of docker are the same.

• i added them all onto the same stack, but still doesnt work (restarted afterwards0

Zitat

Have you either copied the config files to the enabled folder or made a symlink in that folder pointing to the edited file? Only things in the enabled folder are hosted, and a swag restart is required after making the changes in order for it to see them.

I dont really know what that means... (again im new to all of this)

• i added them all onto the same stack, but still doesnt work (restarted afterwards0

I dont really know what that means... (again im new to all of this)

Sorry,

I think I may have been mistaken on that. I was thinking straight up nginx or apache. Swag just requires renaming or copying them to remove the .sample from the end to activate them. It has been years since I looked at swag and had forgotten about that change. So I guess the question is, did you rename it to remove the .sample?

Also, I just had another look at the stack you posted aboive and noticed this:

volumes:
    - /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-01D961689E58E7E0/configuration/swag:/config

That doesn't look like the UUID of a linux file system. What is the drive formatted as? If it isn't a native linux file system, you may be having permissions issues that are keeping things from working. Non-linux file systems can't handle linux permissions and ownership

A normal linux type of file system UUID looks like this:

/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-4d26adbd-029a-4d74-a81f-c69bf193a099

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's was my first thought, but I don't think I've ever saw a ntfs partition named "uuid"... but it does look weird.

• yeah its nfts... (tried to install with ext4 before but for some reason my qbittorrent and jellyfin had problems running, and so I was advised to switch to nfts)
    I copied the sample configs (didnt rename it though)
    i looked over macoms tutorial and it says

"cp nextcloud.subfolder.conf.sample nextcloud.subfolder.conf this will copy the sample configuration file for nextcloud and removes the .sample so that the file will become active"

i executed that command but the .sample extension wasnt gone.

• You will likely have a lot more problems on ntfs because it does not handle linux permissions and ownership, which is something that linux needs to operate correctly.

Your qbittorrent and jellyfin were probably not working before because you had not set appropriate puid and pgid in the dockers, so they were trying to operate as an incorrect user.

It is very likely you will not be able to make anything work correctly if you are not on a linux native filesystem such as ext4 or xfs

• Well I managed to get Nextcloud to work localy (typing my-ipaddress/nextcloud) but domain doesn't work...
    Could that be because of the file system?

If it works by IP it works, but permissions could still be an issue if you are still using an ntfs drive. Nextcloud is a linux application and requires linux permissions for proper control of files.

The domain access requires router port forwarding, a domain updater, and if you want a proper setup, reverse proxy and encryption. You can't access using a domain from inside you house unless you have a local dns server/forwarder or edit your hosts file on your computer (not the server) to hard do that domain level access to it never leaves your lan. That is just how dns and domains work. Domain access has to come from the internet normally if there is no local dns or hosts edit.

There are guides posted in the forum on how to do all of this internet domain access with swag. Look in the guides section. If you don't want to use swag, I posted nginx proxy manager instructions here:

local dns can be done with some routers, or using something like dnsmasq or pihole, but that is a whole other setup requiring some custom configuration on your router and/or your computers and other devices.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!