OMV drives moved to win 10 - not showing up

• Hi everyone,

Am hoping someone can help! Recently I moved my standard HDD's from an OMV build to use as a desktop PC with Windows 10.

I thought all my files from the HDD's in OMV will be there and none of the drives are detected or are showing up; have also checked if they're hooked up properly with power and SATA cable so it's not hardware related.

To retrieve my files back, will I need to rebuild my OMV PC again just to access these files? Is there a program that I can use in Windows 10 to read them or is there something else I need to do?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm assuming the drives are a linux file system (ext3, ext4, btrfs) and Windows cannot read them by default (I believe there might be some helper apps that might allow it)

Really the best thing to do, would be to back up the drives and format them as ntfs so windows can read them natively.

• Hi KM0201,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I don't mind reformatting as NTFS; just want to recover the files before doing that.

Is there any way for windows to do this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi KM0201,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I don't mind reformatting as NTFS; just want to recover the files before doing that.

Is there any way for windows to do this?

That's a near impossible question to answer given the info you have provided. What file system are they? Did you have a RAID set up? What other hardware do you have access to?

Assuming the very basics (ext4, and the drives are not in a RAID).. If you have access to a large enough extra hard drive. Boot a live Linux disk (ubuntu, mint, whatever). Mount a storage drive, move the data to the "extra" once that is done, format the original drive to NTFS, and move the data back to the ntfs drive (Linux can read ntfs w/ very few issues). Repeat as necessary for each drive.

• Paragon makes all sorts of file system translators. You can get an appropriate one for your windows system and then you can read/write the drives, however if you plan on leaving them in the windows system, it is best to reformat as ntfs

Paragon Software | Main page
    Storage and file system management, data safety and disaster recovery for home and business users, IT professionals and OEM providers.
    www.paragon-software.com

• Hi KM0201 and BernH,

Thanks so much for answering; sorry for the late reply and not providing enough info. Yes the drives are not in RAID and are in a basic format.

Tried your method KM0201; using a live USB with Linux Mint I transferred my files across and it worked. Didn't try Paragon, although I'm sure that would potentially work too.

Again, much appreciated!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!