CLAMAV and FAIL2BAN - General discussion

• I see a couple short and old threads on these topics, so this is a general set of questions.

How many OMV users are installing CLAMAV and/or FAIL2BAN?

For those that have, what has been your general experience?

Currently I have neither, but I see their availability on here. I am just not sure the utility.

I could scan the shares when they are mounted on a PC, as far as AV goes.

Given that the machine is on a pretty small network behind a router, I am not certain what utility there is to FAIL2BAN.

Hoping a few of you see this and chime in.

OMV 6.x AMD64, HP Microserver N40L, 16GB ECC DDR, 8TB Ironwolf HDD, 480 GB Kingston SSD.

OMVExtras.org: Resetperms, Sharerootfs

SMB, SSH, WeTTY, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.1.

• Offizieller Beitrag

clamav might be good if you downloading things directly on the OMV box. Then it doesn't have a chance to hit your Windows boxes.

fail2ban is very common exposed to the internet. If you aren't doing that, probably don't need it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I only have Linux computers and 1 (one) my wife Windows 11 (reason for clamAV). All of them, including OMV 6 NAS computer, are behind pfSense firewall where I did install clamAV. Do not see any reason for installing additional clamAV on OMV NAS, it is behind router/firewall already..

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Thanks for the responses. My OMV is purely behind a router and just use for local file sharing/backup along with hosting all my digital music using Logitech Media Server.

OMV 6.x AMD64, HP Microserver N40L, 16GB ECC DDR, 8TB Ironwolf HDD, 480 GB Kingston SSD.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you have Windows boxes on your network and you enabled smb1 (full of security holes) for LMS, I would think about running clamav on your omv box.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• SMB is just to allow shared folders to both Windows and Linux hosts.

Logitech Media Server is running on Debian directly, it is not in an OMV container.

I have original Squeezebox players plus PPi Zero W running Squeezelite as players off LMS.

Would having Windows as SMB clients be a reason to run clamav? I am not sure why LMS as a server would increase the risk.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would having Windows as SMB clients be a reason to run clamav? I am not sure why LMS as a server would increase the risk.

I was thinking LMS was reading samba shares. That obviously isn't the case. So, it doesn't increase the risk. And if you didn't enable smb1, then ignore my previous post.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!