Almost all files and folders deleted after latest update !!

• I just did an Update of my OMV 6., using the GUI as usual Prior to the update it was working fine. After the update virtually all of my files/folders are no longer there. They seem to have been deleted. The Dashboard shows my HDD as now only 5GB used, whereas before the update I had used about 15GB (I use large HDD's). This is a major concern !!

I noted that since the recent update where Docker Compose (which installed fine) was added that the machine has been a little odd.; there seem to be many more updates listed than is usually the case.

Why on earth did the OMV team drop Portainer ? It was a superb Container management and App tool. A very regressive move in my opinion ( I know I can still access it on port 9000)

ANybody got any ideas what may have happened ? I hope the latest update packages are not bugged and there has been a mass wipe of peoples data !

Help

Sean

• Offizieller Beitrag

After the update virtually all of my files/folders are no longer there. They seem to have been deleted.

If that were the case the forum would be flooded. Your files have not been deleted.

The Dashboard shows my HDD as now only 5GB used, whereas before the update I had used about 15GB (I use large HDD's).

Do you have your data on the system disk?

the machine has been a little odd

You specify, give us more details.

Why on earth did the OMV team drop Portainer ?

For all this.

omv6:docker_in_omv [omv-extras.org]

It was a superb Container management and App tool.

If it seems essential to your use case, you can continue using that tool. No one recommends it but no one prevents it either.

A very regressive move in my opinion ( I know I can still access it on port 9000)

In my opinion it is quite the opposite, a logical evolution that should be appreciated.

ANybody got any ideas what may have happened ?

If you don't provide more details it's hard to say. We don't see your screen.

I hope the latest update packages are not bugged and there has been a mass wipe of peoples data !

Definitely not. Your data has not been deleted.

• Are you sure that you do not show the system volume instead of your data drive? Also made that mistake.

System drive only shows 3.5 GB used - since I recently reinstalled the server (tried Debian 12 with OMV 6 what obviously did not work) this is totally fine since this is a non-x installation with text mode only - the server runs headless, so no GUI is needed anyway. Pi-hole and miniDLNA are running directly in Debian, so no need for Docker containers in my case.

The data RAID 5 (3 4 TB S-ATA SSDs) however shows 2 TB used / 6.1 TB free as expected.

Take a look on the top of the graphs, there are in my case two tabs, the first shows the system SSD, the second one the RAID.

• All my data is (was ??) stored in \\ODROIDH3\odroidh3\ODROIDH3\ODROIDH3\storage ( as seen Windows) and /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-3cce5dd9-f4ae-4d23-baf7-4b4ba7eb63ff/ODROIDH3/ODROIDH3/storage (as seen by Bitvise/Putty).

Before the update I had many folders/files in that location but since the update I now have only 4 folders.

Again, since update, my Logitech Media Server Container has 'lost' all its preferences and no longer ses any music. The Container itself though is still working

The OMV Dashboard now shows File Systems as "Missing" and '"dev/mmcblk0p2 26.85 GiB"

I have no idea what has happened. Prior to the update all worked fine but during the update process the GUI stalled and I had to reboot Chrome browser.

I have just noticed that on the GUI File Systems tab what used to be my EXT4 data disk is now show as "Missing". Also, since Compose was installed the "SharedFolders" tabe now has a compose folder listed and there are two additional folders. The page looks like the attached:

So, it looks like the update has somehow rearragnged Shared Folders and File Systems

This is weird. I have no idea where to go from here

• Offizieller Beitrag

All my data is (was ??) stored in \\ODROIDH3\odroidh3\ODROIDH3\ODROIDH3\storage ( as seen Windows) and /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-3cce5dd9-f4ae-4d23-baf7-4b4ba7eb63ff/ODROIDH3/ODROIDH3/storage (as seen by Bitvise/Putty).

Before the update I had many folders/files in that location but since the update I now have only 4 folders.

If they were there before, I guarantee that they are still there, unless you have done something else yourself.

Again, since update, my Logitech Media Server Container has 'lost' all its preferences and no longer ses any music. The Container itself though is still working

The OMV Dashboard now shows File Systems as "Missing" and '"dev/mmcblk0p2 26.85 GiB"

I have no idea what has happened. Prior to the update all worked fine but during the update process the GUI stalled and I had to reboot Chrome browser.

Again some action done by you, the plugin or updates do not cause this.

I have just noticed that on the GUI File Systems tab what used to be my EXT4 data disk is now show as "Missing". Also, since Compose was installed the "SharedFolders" tabe now has a compose folder listed and there are two additional folders. The page looks like the attached:

So, it looks like the update has somehow rearragnged Shared Folders and File Systems

This is weird. I have no idea where to go from here

No update causes a file system to disappear. Neither update causes a new "compose" folder to appear anywhere.

You have followed a guide or you have read something somewhere and you have followed it with closed eyes.

I recommend that you read the procedures, in the first publication of this thread you have them all.

If you have a problem you want to solve maybe someone wants to help you. But that attitude of blaming OMV or OMV updates is not going to win you many friends. You can start by saying exactly what you have done so far.

• I'm not blaming anybody. I'm simply stating the facts. Which are that all was perfectly fine. I did the update then it wasnt fine.....simple as that. I havent done anything else whatsoever to the server; nothing at all, other than restart it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not blaming anybody. I'm simply stating the facts. Which are that all was perfectly fine. I did the update then it wasnt fine.....simple as that. I havent done anything else whatsoever to the server; nothing at all, other than restart it.

I'm sorry. That's impossible. As I already said no update unmounts file systems, deletes folders or creates new shared folders.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A good start might be to change the title of this thread to something like "After the last update I did something that broke my system. Help please."

• Offizieller Beitrag

Perhaps this is a coincidence. Have you considered that, maybe, your hard drive failed?

Have you checked under Storage, Disks, to see if your drive is still recognized?

(And)

Have you checked Storage, SMART, Devices, (and the stat's button) to see what SMART stat's are available for the drive? (This assumes SMART monitoring is enabled.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Perhaps this is a coincidence. Have you considered that, maybe, your hard drive failed?

That would not create a shared folder called "compose" as the OP says.

Although it could be that this coincidence has also occurred.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why on earth did the OMV team drop Portainer ? It was a superb Container management and App tool. A very regressive move in my opinion

It wasn't the OMV team. It was only me. omv-extras is third party. I didn't drop it either. I moved it to the compose plugin which I think is a superb, native-OMV container management and app tool. It takes less than three minutes to add the functionality back that you had in omv-extras. I made a video and posted it on the first post of the upgrade thread omv-extras 6.3 / openmediavault-compose 6.7

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Although it could be that this coincidence has also occurred.

Post #5 shows that the user has 2 file systems, total. One must be the boot drive, or the OMV instance could not exist. The other filesystem appears to represent a missing, but referenced, data drive. (I can't see how the compose plugin change could be related to a missing filesystem.)

Setting the compose update change aside:
    Determining what happened to the missing filesystem seems to be the key issue in determining "where" the user's data went. I don't believe his data was "deleted". I believe it's on the 2nd drive, with an EXT4 filesystem, that is now missing.

That's all that is possible to know until the user responds with more information about the missing drive.

• Looks to me like a faulty EMMC drive to be honest. Very unlikely that this is caused by OMV thow.

I use a real AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with an NVMe SSD and three 4 TB SSDs as storage devices - so a full size server but within an MiniITX case with 4 drive bays. Had no issues whatsoever with lost data. But in my case, I run multiple backups in regular bases, so if things go horribly wrong, I have a somewhat recent backup :) My Server with such hardware runs since October last year 24/7, the SATA-SSDs where purchased a month ago, before I had two 6 TB Seagate desktop drives as a mirror - no issues with them as well.

• Post #5 shows that the user has 2 file systems, total. One must be the boot drive, or the OMV instance could not exist. The other filesystem appears to represent a missing, but referenced, data drive. (I can't see how the compose plugin change could be related to a missing filesystem.)

Setting the compose update change aside:
    Determining what happened to the missing filesystem seems to be the key issue in determining "where" the user's data went. I don't believe his data was "deleted". I believe it's on the 2nd drive, with an EXT4 filesystem, that is now missing.

That's all that is possible to know until the user responds with more information about the missing drive.

Precisely correct. The fault seems to be with my HDD (18TB Seagate EXOS), which has done about 4800 hours; as reported by SMART last a looked a few days back. All temperatures are fine with the HDD. The drive shows up in 'Disks' as /dev/sda. In SMART/Devices tab the disk is listed as a device (/dev/sda) and there is the following bulleted list shown under Device Symlinks:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST18000NM000J_WR501VAJ

/dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x5000c500ed408141

/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:17.0-ata-1

/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:17.0-ata-1.0

In the Storage/File Systems tab the Status is shown as 'missing'

When I select it on that page and attempt to mount it there is nothing available to mount with the 'File Systems' pull down

When I examine 'Storage/S.M.A.R.T./Devices/Details' the log I see the following:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Device Model: ST18000NM000J

Serial Number: WR501VAJ

LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 0ed408141

Firmware Version: SN02

User Capacity: 18,000,207,937,536 bytes [18.0 TB]

Sector Size: 512 bytes logical/physical

Rotation Rate: 7200 rpm

Device is: Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]

ATA Version is: ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4

SATA Version is: SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s

Local Time is: Sun Jun 18 09:42:03 2023 +07

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

AAM feature is: Unavailable

APM feature is: Unavailable

Rd look-ahead is: Enabled

Write cache is: Enabled

DSN feature is: Unavailable

ATA Security is: Disabled, NOT FROZEN [SEC1]

Read SCT Status failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

Wt Cache Reorder: Unknown (SCT Feature Control command failed)

Read SMART Data failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===

SMART Status command failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: UNKNOWN!

SMART Status, Attributes and Thresholds cannot be read.

Read SMART Log Directory failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x00:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

Read GP Log Directory failed

SMART Extended Comprehensive Error Log (GP Log 0x03) not supported

Read SMART Error Log failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

SMART Extended Self-test Log (GP Log 0x07) not supported

Read SMART Self-test Log failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

Selective Self-tests/Logging not supported

SCT (Get) Error Recovery Control command failed

Device Statistics (GP/SMART Log 0x04) not supported

Pending Defects log (GP Log 0x0c) not supported

ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x11:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

Read SATA Phy Event Counters failed

On the face of it it appears to be a problem with the HDD. So, I guess I need to fiugure out a way to examine the HDD further (any ideas beyond Gparted ????). [Update] - I used the e2fsck command at the terminal and sadly I got the bad superblock response . as show below:

root@odroidh3:~# e2fsck -p /dev/sda

e2fsck: Input/output error while trying to open /dev/sda

/dev/sda:

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4

filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4

filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock

is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:

e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

or

e2fsck -b 32768 <device>

What is weird about all of this is that this problem occured immedaitelya fter the Update. I fully accept that this could be a pure coincidence, but to me the probability of such a simultanious event is remarkably low. This is especially so since the HDD has done less than 5000 hours; so its on the 'flat' of its bathtub failure curve. The drive seems to spin up fine and makes the usual chatter at power on, whcihi as far as my ears can tell is exactly the same as a normal start-up. I have other EXOS drives that sound exactly the same.

So, in summary I now need to find the best way of doing an exhaustive test on the HDD. Any ideas on which software might be best to do that is much appreciated (Windows preffered)

Lastly, appologies if my original post caused offence. It was'nt intended to be a criticism but if this had been an update related issue, which most people would initially conclude given the simultanious event, then folks would wish to know about it PDQ.

Cheers

Sean

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von SeanMiddleton () aus folgendem Grund: Reformatted. Post is confusing for forum readers.

• Offizieller Beitrag

On the face of it it appears to be a problem with the HDD.

I agree. I'm going to assume that you've reviewed this hard drive before and that it produced normal SMART stat's versus the errors that it's currently showing.

So, I guess I need to figure out a way to examine the HDD further (any ideas beyond Gparted ????)

If it was me, I'd go with the OEM's drive -> diagnostic tools. They know their drives better than anyone else.

Wether you use the Linux or Windows Sea Tools package wouldn't matter. The results should be the same so go the route you're most familiar with - there's no point in adding guess work at this stage. If you're not very familiar with Linux, it's easy enough to physically remove the drive and temporarily plug the drive into a Windows client SATA port. (For testing, I've connected drives out the side of a PC with the cover removed.)
    In any case, take note that some OEM drive tests can be destructive. The tool(s) should tell you this before you use them.

If you want to try to recover data, -> Spinrite (a paid product) is the only tool I'm familiar with but it requires a good bit of time to run which means it would work best in the early stages of drive failure. Spinrite works, primarily, at recovering data from defective magnetic media. In your case, while it's pure speculation based on the SMART errors, I'm guessing there may be a problem with your drive's interface board. Spinrite can't do anything about that. In any case, I would do the OEM tests first, before considering the purchase of Spinrite.

Frankly, the above is me being optimistic. I hope you have backup because, while I don't like being the bearer of bad news, I think you're going to find that the drive is toast. Given the SMART responses, it doesn't look good.

What is weird about all of this is that this problem occured immedaitelya fter the Update. I fully accept that this could be a pure coincidence, but to me the probability of such a simultanious event is remarkably low.

Do you mean, immediately after the update or immediately after a reboot?

Here's what you need to consider:
    - The update couldn't fry your drive. Unexpected things might have happened with Docker, but that would be the extent of it.
    - Is it possible that your boot drive is corrupted in a very specific way and this is a manifestation of that? I suppose it's possible but that's a real long shot, a light years distant remotely possible.

Testing the drive with the OEM's tools should tell you, definitively, if your drive is OK, dying or dead. I believe this is where you should start.

• Well, checked out the HDD using Seagates utility and it is well and truly trashed. EXOS 18TB with less than 5000 hours use ! It is about a year old and supposedly has a 5Y warranty. Lets see.........I have read a few reports online re poor reliability of EXOS srives. Seems to have some truth in it. Thanks to everyone for your help and support

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, checked out the HDD using Seagates utility and it is well and truly trashed. EXOS 18TB with less than 5000 hours use ! It is about a year old and supposedly has a 5Y warranty. Lets see.........I have read a few reports online re poor reliability of EXOS srives. Seems to have some truth in it. Thanks to everyone for your help and support

It's sad to read this, I hope you have a backup, or if not, you can recover the data. There are applications that could help you. The less you touch the drive, the better chance you have of recovering the data, if that's even possible. Good luck with that.

In my experience and my humble opinion, the drives that have given me the best results are the WD RED NAS class and CMR type.

Another point to take into account is to always have a UPS, this avoids forced shutdowns, they are very negative for mechanical drives.

• .I have read a few reports online re poor reliability of EXOS srives. Seems to have some truth in it.

Care to post some links to these?

I have a 16Tb and want to know more on it, altough, IIRC, you forced a powerdown on the server.

This is not a good procedure on a spinner.

Mine has been working 24/7 for more than a year with zero issues so far.

But I do have an UPS on my network.

Hope you get your DATA back

• votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • votdev

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Well, checked out the HDD using Seagates utility and it is well and truly trashed.

While I suspected as much, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully they'll replace the drive. Note that while their warranty may require them to replace the drive, you might not get a new drive. It might be an OEM "refurb".

For future use:

Back Blaze publishes studies of -> drive failures and longevity. You might give some of their doc's a quick read and think about picking a replacement from one the models they have found to be reliable. (If one of them is on sale. :) )

Also, you might want to set up -> server notifications. Server notifications will provide a "heads up" if SMART detects something out of the ordinary. Generally, most drives will give at least some warning before it's too late.

-> Full data backup is not difficult or very expensive to implement. A local rsync disk-to-disk backup is easy to set up and recover but there numerous more sophisticated backup options that might better fit what you may want to do. A forum search might turn up something you'd be interested in.

Again, regrets.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!