OMV keeps removing nvidia runtime from daemon.json

• Hi there,

I was noticing that my Plex docker kept shutting down, only to be greeted by the message 'nvidia runtime now found' or something in that spirit. I have always just run through the steps to install the runtime again, and it would work for a day (or two) before it shut down again with the same error. Then I noticed that daemon.json kept being 'reset' by OMV. How can I make it so that it will survive OMV overwriting it? Or can I add the runtime in OMV self?

Kind regards,

Emiel

• Have a read here

Dell 3050 Micro, i5-6500T, 8GB Ram

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 512gb SSD Boot, 1tb nvme Data, 16TB (8tbx 2 merg) Media,

Docker - dozzle, netdata, nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• omv 7.1.0-2 (Sandworm) | x86_64 | Linux 6.1.0-20 kernel

Plugins: kernel 7.0.5 | compose 7.2 | flashmemory 7.0 | cputemp 7.0.1 | apttool 7.0 | sharerootfs 7.0-1 | omvextrasorg 7.0

• No the driver itself is not the problem, that works perfectly. The problem is that the runtime gets removed from daemon.json all the time. I need to make that runtime persistent.

Code
    sudo nvidia-ctk runtime configure --runtime=docker

^ this command re-adds the runtime to daemon.json (Nvidia documentation)

Yes if you read that whole thread the info is there

Dell 3050 Micro, i5-6500T, 8GB Ram

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 512gb SSD Boot, 1tb nvme Data, 16TB (8tbx 2 merg) Media,

Docker - dozzle, netdata, nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The problem is that the runtime gets removed from daemon.json all the time. I need to make that runtime persistent.

Did you read the note on the Docker storage field? You should be leaving it blank if you are going to modify daemon.json.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

chris_kmn

I would like to add a note on this topic to the wiki in this section. https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…ins:docker_compose#docker

I have never used an Nvidia card nor do I plan to do so soon, so I'm not sure how to write this so it is understood correctly.

Since you are the creator of that guide that is helping so many people on the forum, I consider that you are the best prepared to propose that text.

I would appreciate it if you could contribute a suggestion for writing this.

A couple of sentences would be enough, or whatever you consider, there is no problem of space.

I'll probably add a link to your guide too, with your permission.

• chente :

I‘m going to have a look into it. I think I will be able to provide a text. But I‘m not an english native so I have to see that I do understand everything correctly and get the right message.

Give me some days and I make a proposal.

Cheer, Chris

• Offizieller Beitrag

But I‘m not an english native

Don't worry about that. Thanks for the help. :thumbup:

• chente

If I got it right you want me to add a text to this passage:

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Docker

• In this section you can define the docker installation folder. This is useful for getting docker off the OMV system disk. The default path is /var/lib/docker.
    • In the Docker Storage field define the path of the folder you want to use to install Docker.
      • Avoid using symlinks in this field.
    • Click Reinstall Docker button. Docker is now installed in the new path.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

My proposal would be as following:

• If you are using nvidia drivers in your docker containers (e.g. for Plex or Jellyfin hardware transcoding) you have to leave the path blank. If not, the nvidia driver settings are getting corrupted each time you reconfigure the OMV settings.

Do you think that is sufficient? You could of course add a link to my tutorial.

Best, Chris

• Offizieller Beitrag

My proposal would be as following:

If you are using nvidia drivers in your docker containers (e.g. for Plex or Jellyfin hardware transcoding) you have to leave the path blank. If not, the nvidia driver settings are getting corrupted each time you reconfigure the OMV settings.

Added. Thank you so much. :thumbup:

Zitat

Docker

• In this section you can define the docker installation folder. This is useful for getting docker off the OMV system disk. The default path is /var/lib/docker.
    • If you are using nvidia drivers in your docker containers (e.g. for Plex or Jellyfin hardware transcoding) you have to leave the path blank. If not, the nvidia driver settings are getting corrupted each time you reconfigure the OMV settings. You can see more details in the chris_kmn's guide.
    • In the Docker Storage field define the path of the folder you want to use to install Docker.
      • Avoid using symlinks in this field.
    • Click Reinstall Docker button. Docker is now installed in the new path.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!