Install older OMV version on PI4

• Hey all,

First of all, I'm still a bloody beginner with all this stuff, most of the time I just follow some YT guides to set up what I'd like to.

Recently I bought another raspi for setting up nextcloud on OMV 6, after installing omv via "sudo wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/master/install | sudo bash"

I realised that it's the always installing the latest OMV version, where all the OMV-extras with docker & portainers changed, though I read the pinned thread explaining what changed I have no clue how to run docker and portainer (which is mandatory for nextcloud, afaik). So, to solve this issue without working through all changelogs and re-reading several guides I was thinking about a workaround for my problem, 2 options:

1. Installing an older version of OMV (e.g. 6.0.24), before all that changes took effect. Sadly, I have no idea how to do that on the raspy.

2. Cloning SD card from my first raspi (running omv 6.0.24), already did that but it seems like it's causing network issues. Raspy boot works, IP is ok in my router but still I can't connect via ssh or omv GUI.

I'd be happy if you guys could help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Tobi

• Why are you installed the old version? docker is easy and worth learning.

what do you see on the monitor / TV when its pluged in?

Dell 3050 Micro, i5-6500T, 8GB Ram

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 512gb SSD Boot, 1tb nvme Data, 16TB (8tbx 2 merg) Media,

Docker - dozzle, netdata, nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Installing an older version of OMV (e.g. 6.0.24), before all that changes took effect. Sadly, I have no idea how to do that on the raspy.

2. Cloning SD card from my first raspi (running omv 6.0.24), already did that but it seems like it's causing network issues. Raspy boot works, IP is ok in my router but still I can't connect via ssh or omv GUI.

That's impossible, you won't be able to do it. When you install omv-extras it will be the latest version. Furthermore, this is unsafe, which is why it cannot be done.

You can do a new installation and follow this guide. You'll have Nextcloud up and running in 30 minutes.

And not. Portainer is not required to install Nextcloud. Portainer is not needed for anything at all, except to follow some outdated youtube guides.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Or if you really want to learn how to use docker you can read here. https://wiki.omv-extras.org/doku.php?id=omv6:docker_in_omv

That will open up your world of available applications and won't limit you to the 10 most used containers that I developed in the previous guide.

• Offizieller Beitrag

portainer (which is mandatory for nextcloud, afaik)

False. There is zero reasons you need portainer for nextcloud.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That's impossible, you won't be able to do it. When you install omv-extras it will be the latest version. Furthermore, this is unsafe, which is why it cannot be done.

You can do a new installation and follow this guide. You'll have Nextcloud up and running in 30 minutes.

And not. Portainer is not required to install Nextcloud. Portainer is not needed for anything at all, except to follow some outdated youtube guides.

A lot to learn, I guess. Gonna follow the guide and see what's happening. Thanks again for your support!

Regards,

Beda

• That's impossible, you won't be able to do it. When you install omv-extras it will be the latest version. Furthermore, this is unsafe, which is why it cannot be done.

Hi again, I followed your guide and it's working almost perfect, I have 2 problems right now:

1. Sometimes Nextcloud tells me that the connection to the server is lost, takes 1-2 min for restarting/reconnecting

2. I Installed nextcloud app on android and set up the automatic pic upload, sadly the default folder was an internal storage folder from my pi. before I realised it started to upload. When trying to move files from the internal folder called "SofortUpload" to the external storage it gives me some failures, translated from german to english like "could not move file xy". As a walkaround I copied the files via samba in windows, all good. Trying to delete the original "SofortUpload" folder was not successfull. "Could not delete folder". Deleting the app from android didn't solve the problem (my idea was the folder was still in use due to wrong upload destination).

...Though I'm struggling with some minor problems I'm very happy, your guide is just awesome, never made it this far!

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Beda

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Sometimes Nextcloud tells me that the connection to the server is lost, takes 1-2 min for restarting/reconnecting

No idea why this can happen. Maybe something on your network? On your router?...

2. I Installed nextcloud app on android and set up the automatic pic upload, sadly the default folder was an internal storage folder from my pi. before I realised it started to upload. When trying to move files from the internal folder called "SofortUpload" to the external storage it gives me some failures, translated from german to english like "could not move file xy". As a walkaround I copied the files via samba in windows, all good. Trying to delete the original "SofortUpload" folder was not successfull. "Could not delete folder". Deleting the app from android didn't solve the problem (my idea was the folder was still in use due to wrong upload destination).

hmm I'm not sure I can help with this, I've never used that Nextcloud feature.

...Though I'm struggling with some minor problems I'm very happy, your guide is just awesome, never made it this far!

Thanks a lot!

Happy to hear this helps someone. You are welcome. :thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!