• Offizieller Beitrag

Figured I would start a thread about the new RPi5 before we get a lot of questions. I did just pre-order a board, active cooler, and 27W power supply from Sparkfun.

From reading about the hardware and Jeff Geerling's video about it, I don't think there will be any issues running OMV 6.x on it as long as they release a new Debian 11-base image.

The realtime clock will be nice. USB performance should be faster since there are separate usb controllers and both USB3 ports will run at full speed at the same time. Now that it has a pcie connector, I imagine there will be some good pcie to sata hats. And I'm sure people will be excited about the power button. vcgen will be able to give us power stats. It might be time for an RPi plugin.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I;m not all the impressed vs rpi4

The pcie connector alone makes it much better than an RPi4. People will be able to have real sata ports now. The 2x speed increase is nothing to complain about either. And all for the same price.

i think i have more expecatations with RISC-V

I have a risc-v board and it is disappointing but I am still watching Risc. It has a long way to go and many programs need to add optimizations to close the performance gap.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• So out of all the video I got the orange pi 5 is better for the money? (other than pcie)

Dell 3050 Micro, i5-6500T, 8GB Ram

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 512gb SSD Boot, 1tb nvme Data, 16TB (8tbx 2 merg) Media,

Docker - dozzle, netdata, nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So out of all the video I got the orange pi 5 is better for the money?

It is better for benchmarking (see phoronix.com review) but it is hard to beat everything that is offered for the RPi. I am pretty happy with my Orange Pi 5 Plus and RPi4.

• Where did you order it from Rye? im gussing the waiting list is huge for us in the UK

Nevermind found a place to pre-order it.

Dell 3050 Micro, i5-6500T, 8GB Ram

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 512gb SSD Boot, 1tb nvme Data, 16TB (8tbx 2 merg) Media,

Docker - dozzle, netdata, nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Just ordered a kit from Pimoroni in the UK. PCIe will be very nice to have.

I see the case comes with a fan - I've always liked the silence of the RPi models so far and have a passive heatsink on my RPi 4, so hope that will be an option at some point with the RPi 5

OMV 6 on Raspberry Pi 3/4/5, Odroid C2/HC2 and three cobbled together x64 boxes running Snapraid.

• Just ordered a kit from Pimoroni in the UK. PCIe will be very nice to have.

I see the case comes with a fan - I've always liked the silence of the RPi models so far and have a passive heatsink on my RPi 4, so hope that will be an option at some point with the RPi 5

Not sure, there are lot of fresh overviews but check the one from Explaining Computers. Video shows also the comparison of different cooling solutions and high risk of throttling with No or just passive heatsink on RPi 5. It looks this CPU is quite a powerful one (as for RPi) but also / leads to high temperatures. I hope ryecoaaron will let us know soon.

P.

• Offizieller Beitrag

will let us know soon.

I probably won't have mine for at least a month since they won't be released until the end of October. I also don't plan to test mine without the active heatsink. I run an active heatsink on my RPi4 as well. For $6, it is worth. And since the fan is PWM, it shouldn't be too loud. Jeff Geerling said it was only 40 decibels even at full speed.

• After experiencing a long-term shortage, I finally gave up on the Raspberry Pi and switched to other manufacturers with more abundant supplies. Waiting for supply was very painful and inefficient.

Life is a boring and troublesome thing, it is annoying and stupid.

• Offizieller Beitrag

After experiencing a long-term shortage, I finally gave up on the Raspberry Pi and switched to other manufacturers with more abundant supplies. Waiting for supply was very painful and inefficient.

Hopefully the RPi 5 doesn't have this issues since it has basically been fixed with the RPi4.

• Hopefully the RPi 5 doesn't have this issues since it has basically been fixed with the RPi4.

The long-term shortage made me lose confidence in the Raspberry Pi, especially after I learned that Broadcom SOCs are manufactured by TSMC.

TSMC is currently undergoing drastic changes due to force majeure. I think this may affect quality and shipments. It may not have an impact, but I choose chips that can produce normally.

Life is a boring and troublesome thing, it is annoying and stupid.

• I probably won't have mine for at least a month since they won't be released until the end of October.

My local supplier is listing RPi5 with delivery in November. Looking at how many devices have already been pre-ordered, I would assume Xmass :) There is also a limitation of one device per order. I can wait anyway.

I run an active heatsink on my RPi4 as well

We should promote this idea wildly- I’m running active cooling on all my SBCs even on small Nanopi - or maybe especially on those small ones. After several month of testing my way now is to use standard pc 12v fan pinned to 3v or 5v mounted above heatsink -yes working all the time, however in contrast to small 5v fan types there is no noise and everybody is happy.

• I don't think there will be any issues running OMV 6.x on it as long as they release a new Debian 11-base image.

From my understanding from reading the announcements and rpi forums, I think the Pi OS developed for the Pi 5 is based on Deb 12 Bookworm. Not sure a rpi 5 compatible Deb-11 release is in the works, from my understanding. So does that mean we might need to wait for OMV7 for pi 5 compatibility?

• Offizieller Beitrag

From my understanding from reading the announcements and rpi forums, I think the Pi OS developed for the Pi 5 is based on Deb 12 Bookworm. Not sure a rpi 5 compatible Deb-11 release is in the works, from my understanding. So does that mean we might need to wait for OMV7 for pi 5 compatibility?

Hard to say. I would guess the current Debian 11 image would work on the RPi5 but I can't confirm that until I have one. If that is wrong, OMV 7 will be probably be a requirement of the RPi5. I will message Jeff Geerling and see if he can test for me.

• I am too impatient to wait:(

I sure do hope that they have more than enough for the demand. I may still pre-order, but at this point, it seems likely I will be waiting until January to receive one :(

Asrock H370M-ITX/ac | i5-8400T | 16Gb RAM | Node304 case | 4-3Tb HDDs | 256Gb nvme | 128 Gb SATA SSD

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, as far as Jeff knows, only Bookworm will be supported for the RPi5. I will see what I can do when I get mine but it might be a while before OMV on the RPi5 is a thing.

• Looking at the early release videos on YouTube, I for one am excited about the new Raspberry Pi 5 and have pre-ordered from the Pi Hut.

The first thing I thought of was using OpenMediaVault with the new Raspbery Pi 5 especially given the fact of the possibility of using the PCIe connector attached to a SATA HAT. Finally RAID on a Pi? That would be a nice NAS solution.

Before I bought a proper NAS enclosure, I used the RPI 4 with 2 USB drives but was not impressed with the performance. Fortunately joining this site, I learned from this forum that USB is not suitable for RAID given it's overhead and unreliability.

• The Raspberry Pi 5 with its improved hardware features should indeed offer better performance and capabilities, making it a promising option for running OMV 6.x. The real-time clock, improved USB performance, PCIe connector, and power button are all valuable additions.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!