New Hardware install from thumb drive fails with "Installation step failed" while doing "install the system" at 21% complete.

• I am doing my first OMV install and doing it on on some brand new hardware.

I keep getting the error "Installation step failed" at 21% complete while doing "install the system"

The new hardware from Amazon is "J6413 NAS/6 SATA/Dual M.2/ITX/i226-V Network Card (32G 256G)" made by CWWK PC in China. https://cwwk.net/collections/all

The specs are: CWWK Model: AIO-T6 CPU: Intel Celeron J6413 Motherboard with 32GB of RAM 256 GB NVMe M.2 SSD and a Non-Hardware-RAID SATA 3 on the motherboard.

I have 6 SATA drives that I plan to put in a Soft-RAID-6 configuration on the standard SATA controller.

I am doing the OMV install to the SSD without any SATA drives installed.

What I did:

1. Downloaded openmediavault_6.5.0-amd64.iso and burned to thumb drive

2. Booted thumb drive and followed the installation tool until step "install the system". Every time I do this, it gets to 21% complete and then gives error "Installation Step Failed."

3. Wash, Rinse and Repeat. Nothing changes.

Just to confirm that I have good hardware, I did an install of Debian 12.1.0.

4. Downloaded debian-12.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso and burned to thumb drive.

5. Booted and followed Debian's install procedure. Successful install to 256GB M.2 SSD with Video and Network.

6. Booted off SSD and the system is working. I have a working SSD, GUI desktop, Internet, etc.

I am not getting a more specific error so I can't think of anything to diagnose or alter on the OVM install side.

Can anyone give guidance on how to identify the problem or what to alter in my installation method?

If the automated OMV install tool is not an easy fix, can I just install OMV onto a clean Debian install?

Are there guides or recommendations for setting up Debian for NAS/OMV use?

Are there guides for installing OMV on top of a clean Debian install?

I kind of like the idea of having the Debian GUI desktop and its resources available as a back door behind the web interface of OMV.

• crashtest

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

The specs are: CWWK Model: AIO-T6 CPU: Intel Celeron J6413 Motherboard

The problem is probably that the hardware is too recent. As you say, installing debian and OMV on top of debian will solve it.

OMV is incompatible with desktop environments. And make sure to use a 64-bit image, do not install with a 32-bit debian image.

• Thank you Crashnet. This is what I need to get started. I will begin the install tomorrow.

Thank you Chente, You are probably correct. This Chipset/Motherboard has just hit the street. The CWWK helpdesk told me that they have not completed their translation from Chinese to English of the technical specs and user guides yet. After I get Debian Installed, who can I forward the list of drivers that Debian chose to install so these will be rolled into a future OMV update?

• Attempting to install debian manually and then OMV using the "Installing OMV6 on i386 32-bit PC's ( & Alt 64 bit install )" instructions.

1st Attempt to install OMV - Error ... OMV will not install because I added a Debian GUI. OK, I had to try. I will reinstall,

error appeared when running: wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…Script/raw/master/install | sudo bash

2nd Attempt to install OMV - Error ... OMV will not install on Debian 12. I must use Debian 11. OK, I will download and install Debian 11..

error appeared when running: wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…Script/raw/master/install | sudo bash

debian.org is making it difficult to download anything except the current stable version (12.1). They will not show me the older release through their debian.org web site. After some googling, I found a way to get debian 11 from their FTP server.. I am going to download "debian-11.7.0-amd64-netinst.iso" and install this.

Is there a way to install the OMV on Debian 12 today? Do I need to wait for some testing to finish? Is there a version in test? I would prefer to not upgrade the operating system in the near future if possible.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to install the OMV on Debian 12 today?

Not yet. OMV6 depends on debian 11. OMV7, when finished, will depend on debian 12.

• Offizieller Beitrag

debian.org is making it difficult to download anything except the current stable version (12.1). They will not show me the older release through their debian.org web site. After some googling, I found a way to get debian 11 from their FTP server.. I am going to download "debian-11.7.0-amd64-netinst.iso" and install this.

You were provided with a direct link to -> Debian 11.7 in the Alternate 64 bit Installation Guide, under the heading i386 Download. All you need to do is select the amd64 netinst version. This is clearly laid out in the guide.
    Further, in the Debian installation section, under Software Selection, there's a clear note that DESKTOP's are NOT supported.

Please follow the guidance.

Is there a way to install the OMV on Debian 12 today? Do I need to wait for some testing to finish? Is there a version in test? I would prefer to not upgrade the operating system in the near future if possible.

Debian 12 is NOT yet supported and there is no forecasted release date for OMV7.

• Hi Plargent, I'm having the same issue of OMV failing at 21%. Before I continue down the rabbit hole of trying workarounds, I wanted to check in to see what ended up working for you. Did you succeed using the Debian 11 route and running the install script?

• I'm also having the same issue trying to install OMV6 on 10 y/o hardware from a thumb drive on to a CF card.

Anyone successful with the Debian 11 + script install method after the initial install error? flyerman ? plargent ?

OMV6.x on RPi4 w/ Raspberry Pi OS Lite 64Bit, Kernel V6.1, Debian V11 (bullseye)

2Gb RAM, 32GB OS SD, 4TB Data Drive

• My issue ended up being caused by a bad thumb drive. Rufus flashed the drive without issue.

After I had the install issue, I ran h2testw and the drive failed.

Yes mods, I now see that I should have run h2testw before flashing the ISO as per the OMV documentation.

OMV6.x on RPi4 w/ Raspberry Pi OS Lite 64Bit, Kernel V6.1, Debian V11 (bullseye)

2Gb RAM, 32GB OS SD, 4TB Data Drive

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes mods, I now see that I should have run h2testw before flashing the ISO as per the OMV documentation.

Doc's are written to avoid as many of the typical pitfalls as possible. I understand why some people take short cuts but It would be great if users would go step by step, like you did, when they run into a problem.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!