Can't access my NAS drive remotely with linux laptop.

• Good day, I was away the last few weeks traveling and trialing out my pi-nas configuration remotely. I created my pi-nas with OMV, plugged in my HDD and configured everything (with a lot of help from here) to work locally. I also installed and configured some docker containers via OMV. I installed the wireguard plugin and configured it for my linux laptop and android phone using the QR code for each device, following the OMV guide. (ie configure static ip, etc)

Here is what happened...

With my android phone, after enabling wireguard, I was able to access my docker containers, access my OMV gui, and using the "x-plore" app I could access my files on my pi-nas HDD. Pretty happy!

With my mint linux laptop once I started wireguard I could access my docker containers, my OMV gui, but haven't yet figured out how to access my pi-nas HDD files.

I experimented today, when I got home, and when on my local network I can see my NAS as a option when I click on my desktop network folder (which is what I want so I can easily drag and drop files) and when I click on my NAS folder I can see all the files on my drive. I then tethered my laptop to my phone, connected to my cell network instead of my local wifi router and the option for my NAS goes away. I then enable wireguard on my laptop and still no option appears for my nas.

So I really don't know what to do. Clearly my tunnel is working as I can access my OMV and docker containers remotely, when I enable wireguard and I can access my files with my phone, I simply can't figure out how to access my actual files on my NAS drive with my laptop so I can drag and drop fileswhile on the road.

Any Ideas?

• Have you connected your mint computer to your NAS at home? Do you use the fstab? And if so can you show us your fstab?

Code
    cat /etc/fstab

I am not really sure what you mean by fstab. I installed SMB with open media vault and samba if that helps.

here are the results from my terminal using the command before and after ssh into my pi.

Code
    cat /etc/fstab
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults          0       0
    PARTUUID=3068a66b-01  /boot           vfat    defaults          0       2
    PARTUUID=3068a66b-02        /    ext4    noatime,nodiratime,defaults    0 1
    # a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here
    #   use  dphys-swapfile swap[on|off]  for that
    # >>> [openmediavault]
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/54146848-6bf4-4006-948f-7bd05b5eb4c6        /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-54146848-6bf4-4006-948f-7bd05b5eb4c6    ext4    defaults,nofail,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl    0 2
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/f5bb1d3c-2bbb-4d3a-b4e2-94706bd0ae75        /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f5bb1d3c-2bbb-4d3a-b4e2-94706bd0ae75    ext4    defaults,nofail,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl    0 2
    # <<< [openmediavault]
  • does your your Linux Mint file manger (Nemo?) provide the option to access a SMB/CIFS share, by manually entering the IP address of your OMV server into the address bar, like this::

Code
    smb://192.168.x.x

Do you mean while on my local network or when I try when using wireguard while remote?... I can enter the smb://ip and find my nas drive locally.

• while remote, when using wireguard.

lol you responded before I could edit my respose (thanks for the quickness however!)

Here is what I was going to edit in my response...

When I try the same smb command while simulating remote with my cell phone acting as a hot spot i just tried. Here is the deal, it actually worked, But it took over a minute to load (both to see my drive after i type in the smb command and then another minute to load once I click on the drive icon)

So I guess it is working but It was so slow to make me think it wasn't. Any reason for how slow it is?

Edit: trialing the transfer speed atm.

• maybe it is slow because of tethering via cell phone, just guessing...

Suggest to try remote access with your Linux Mint laptop:

- without cell phone tethering

- from an external wifi, like Starbucks, McDo, or from a friend or relative

- while using Wireguard on the laptop

• So the results of my trial is, I tried to transfer a 75mb video file from my nas to my laptop. Never mind the fact it takes more then a minute to complete any task I ask like just trying to quarry the properties of the file, once I started transferring the file topped out at 185kb/s (it would have taken several minutes (more then 10) to complete the task. My phone is connected to the cell network with 5G.

So It is very slow to access my NAS (huge lag between clicking on anything) and really slow to transfer files even on what should be a fast network. Also It's not very convenient to have to type the smb ip address thing in, but i can live with it, just wonder if there is a easier way. Still don't understand why my nas disappears from my network folder even if i am using wireguard. Clearly it can be accessed but it never shows up as available.

• Ya, I will have to trial that, to try and troubleshoot the problem. Will have to be tomorrow, I have to make supper now for the G/F.

I appreciate your help!

• So the results of my trial is, I tried to transfer a 75mb video file from my nas to my laptop. Never mind the fact it takes more then a minute to complete any task I ask like just trying to quarry the properties of the file, once I started transferring the file topped out at 185kb/s (it would have taken several minutes (more then 10) to complete the task. My phone is connected to the cell network with 5G.

So It is very slow to access my NAS (huge lag between clicking on anything) and really slow to transfer files even on what should be a fast network. Also It's not very convenient to have to type the smb ip address thing in, but i can live with it, just wonder if there is a easier way. Still don't understand why my nas disappears from my network folder even if i am using wireguard. Clearly it can be accessed but it never shows up as available.

1. did you tether the Linux Mint laptop to the cell phone via Bluetooth, or via Wifi?

2. did you use Wireguard on both the laptop AND the cell phone while tethering, or only on the phone?

• Just a update... Sorry, for the tardiness I just got busy. I went to a local restaurant and tried the wifi there instead of tethering it to my phone to simulate remote access and all went well. So I was causing the issue with my use of the tethering.

One thing I am still trying to figure out is, is there a way to create and place a network link on my Linux desktop (or actually in the network folder)? Something that I could just click on to access my nas remotely once I connect to wireguard?

Right now my NAS disappears once I go remote, and after I enable wireguard I have to enter the smb://Ip.address in my folder location bar. Is there a way to just have that saved so I can just click on it, instead of entering the details each time? (with password or not?)

Curious.

Thanks for everyone's help and patience with my learning adventure.

• One thing I am still trying to figure out is, is there a way to create and place a network link on my Linux desktop (or actually in the network folder)? Something that I could just click on to access my nas remotely once I connect to wireguard?

Steps can vary, depending on your specific desktop environment, or your preferred file browser.

On KDE, it asks for my password, and offers to save to its wallet. I would think Nemo or Nautilus would do the same, but I am not very familiar with those, myself.

You could also drag-and-drop to create a shortcut , then edit it's properties as appropriate by inserting your user/pass like so:

Code
    smb://user_name:password@server_name/directory_name/and_stuff

But this is much less secure.

I can't create a shortcut in Dolphin's special Network folder itself, but I just drag the entries I want to its sidebar, my desktop, or a panel.

Asrock H370M-ITX/ac | i5-8400T | 16Gb RAM | Node304 case | 4-3Tb HDDs | 256Gb nvme | 128 Gb SATA SSD

• Right now my NAS disappears once I go remote, and after I enable wireguard I have to enter the smb://Ip.address in my folder location bar. Is there a way to just have that saved so I can just click on it, instead of entering the details each time? (with password or not?)

Unless you do this already, please try to enable first wireguard, and then start your file manager. Which file manager is it?

There is a Linux Mint Forum, maybe somebody there knows how to fix the issue: https://forums.linuxmint.com/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!