Remote access to my nas?

• Thanks to all the help on these forums I have been able to get my Raspberry pi 4 NAS up and running smoothly, I only have a couple more things to do.

One of those is how do I configure things to have access to my NAS drive (read and write) while I am abroad?

Is it a configuration with OMV or on the pi itself?

I am retired and travel a lot for pleasure and need to transfer my pictures and videos back and forth (data storage and pulling them up to edit, etc).

• Nginx proxy manager Is what I use to view OMV over the internet.

Dell 3050 Micro, i5-6500T, 8GB Ram

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 512gb SSD Boot, 1tb nvme Data, 16TB (8tbx 2 merg) Media,

Docker - dozzle, netdata, nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Thanks for the ideas... can I ask for a clarification? The above tools, lets say the power goes out and my pi gets rebooted if I set it up using one of the above tools would they reboot automatically along with OMV and be ready to go?

Just looking for the most fool proof way, as I might be half way across the world at any given time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the ideas... can I ask for a clarification? The above tools, lets say the power goes out and my pi gets rebooted if I set it up using one of the above tools would they reboot automatically along with OMV and be ready to go?

Just looking for the most fool proof way, as I might be half way across the world at any given time.

That depends on how you set it up

Let's say you have 2 servers (1 and 2, with 2 being the remote backup)

If you mount the drives from server 2, on server 1 so you can run your backups "locally"... Then you would have a serious problem in that scenario as it's likely the data would start writing to the local drive, and if you have a smallish OS drive, it will fill the OS drive and cause issues (rogue rsync jobs have filled more than one OS drive in similar scenarios here in the past). So I wouldn't mount remote shares locally to do this (at least with rsync).

If you're actually connecting server 1 to server 2 (say, with rsync or Syncthing).. well, if the server goes down, the job can't run, so it just won't run. So, say you have Server 1 acting as your client, and Server 2 as your backup server, and it basically backs up instantly (like most syncthing servers). If server 2 goes down and you make changes to server 1... when Server 2 comes back up, the two of them should auto reconnect, and they will sync. If you're "scheduling" syncs as I do, and Server 2 goes down.. then that day will just get missed unless you manually run a sync. This doesn't particularly concern me as the remote backup I use is a "backup of a backup" if you will.

I don't really know how Borg works, but the above pretty much breaks down rsync and Syncthing.

• You can avoid reboots and down time caused by power surges or outages by using a UPS, for example APC BE600M1, for BOTH the NAS and the Router.

OMV6 has a great plugin/extension to monitor the UPS status and health via USB, called "openmediavault-nut". At least on my system it runs just as smooth as the "openmediavault-wireguard" plugin, and both were very easy to setup.

• Sorry, for the late response, got busy over here...

Ok, think I need to be a little more specific on what I am trying to accomplish. Since I am new i am having some difficulty wrapping my head around how to view or access the few things I have set up and if different methods of access are needed for each .

So this is what I have set up atm:

-Raspberry pi4 with piOS lite 64bit

-I installed OMV on my pi.

-I used OMV to turn my pi into a NAS with a 16tb hard drive attached.

-I also have installed Docker, and Portainer on the pi.

-I have installed (host) FreshRSS on my pi, and use it to aggregate my news feeds.

Right now I access my NAS 16tb drive via my linux (and dual boot windows) laptop via SMB share and with my android phone using the "x-plore" app.

I log onto my pi with the terminal on my laptop via "ssh pi@ip address"

I access my OMV account via web browser with my pi ip address.

I access Portainer, FreshRSS container with "ip-address:port#"

How would the way I access everything change once I am remote and away from my lan?

So essentially while I am away from home (remote) I want to be able to do the following:

-Access to my pi NAS with my 16tb hard drive, to send and retrieve files. (with my laptop and android phone)

-Be able to access my pi with command line (for maintenance, add/remove programs, etc)

-To be able to access my docker containers (via portainer & OMV?)

-To be able to access my hosted FreshRSS container with my laptop or Android phone.

-To be able to log on and access my OMV account.

So knowing that how do I best emulate my LAN experience for all of the above remotely while still being secure? Is there a one stop solution, or do I have to deploy different solutions for a few of the different programs i need to access?

Would timescale or wireguard achieve all of the above? How do I configure them (complicated)? (website, youtube or step by step guides?)

Same question utilizing nginx?

Other options?

km0201, I will have to investigate more on this solution after I figure out the above first, thanks for the tip.

Like always, I am grateful for the help and advice.

P.s. I went out and bought a battery backup, surge protector, thanks for the tip.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would timescale or wireguard achieve all of the above?

Wireguard does all that and it's very simple, just install the plugin, create a tunnel and a client and scan a QR code with your phone. https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…v6:omv6_plugins:wireguard

• Wireguard is available for all platforms, inclusive Android and Windows, and of course Linux.

At least 5 of your goals should be feasible with wireguard, can't comment on FreshRSS. But if it runs in an OMV docer container then you can access it via regular OMV browser GUI.

Just try it out, it's really simple and nicely integrated into OMV, and chente posted the link to the manual.

When abroad and on the phone, first turn on wireguard, and then you can access OMV with the browser via the same IP address. In X-plore you can access the SMB shares under "LAN", after adding the IP address of the OMV server. I just tried it out and it worked for me.

Under Windows it should work the same, but I haven't tried it out because my work laptop is very restricted.

• Thank you for all the help so far...

I am trying to get this all set up before I leave for turkey in September.

I am working my way through the wireguard plugin configuration, by following the manual listed.

I am stuck at a step atm with instructions I don't find clear or counter to each other.

"Persistent keepalive By default it is disabled. Set a value, such as 25, so that a hello is sent through the tunnel every 25 seconds.

• Activate only if necessary for some reason. One of wireguard's security principles is to be silent on connections."

So at first it says to set the value to 25 and then right after that it speaks to only activating if needed as wireguard likes silent connections... Which is it?

:o)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am stuck at a step atm with instructions I don't find clear or counter to each other.

"Persistent keepalive By default it is disabled. Set a value, such as 25, so that a hello is sent through the tunnel every 25 seconds.

Activate only if necessary for some reason. One of wireguard's security principles is to be silent on connections."

So at first it says to set the value to 25 and then right after that it speaks to only activating if needed as wireguard likes silent connections... Which is it?

Don't set that value if you don't need it for some reason. The easiest thing is to leave the default configuration and check its operation. If after that you need something else look for what you need.

• I log onto my pi with the terminal on my laptop via "ssh pi@ip address"

Btw, OMV6 has the "WeTTY" extension, you can ssh to your pi right from the OMV browser GUI, no need for a separate shell.

And there is also file manager extension called "openmediavault file browser", you can use it right from the OMV GUI.

Enjoy Turkiye!

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV6 has the "WeTTY" extension

Not available for arm, cannot be installed on Raspberry.

• chente

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • chente

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
  • Tailscale. Can be run as a docker container, and does not need an open port in the router.

Or wireguard, available as an OMV plugin. It requires to open a port in the router.

You can install Tailscale directly in the OMV. This is what I use.

You don't need Docker for one package.

• So a update... I have most things working now. I can access my raspberry piNAS locally using the network folder on my laptop, so that is good.

I installed wireguard on my pi (via OMV) and I can also access my docker containers REMOTELY using my wireguard vpn and my ip and the proper port via browser, which makes me happy.

The one thing I have yet to figure out is how to access the files on my hard drive attached to my NAS while remote.

Clicking on the network folder in linux while remote and logged into wireguard does not bring up a option for my NAS like it does locally. So this is my first time trying to access my nas remotely, what am i doing wrong and do i have to access it in a different way then locally?

Thanks for educating me... still lots to learn.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There shouldn't be any difference. There is nothing different to do than what you usually do locally.

Clicking on the network folder in linux while remote and logged into wireguard does not bring up a option for my NAS like it does locally.

I do not understand this. What does this mean exactly? Can you explain it better?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!