Instructions to complete Docker composer unclear

• Hi there,

I'm attempting to follow wiki.omv-extras.org page to configure compose on OMV6. This is a needlessly complicated process for such a simple function, plus I worry about the overhead this will entail on what is essentially a SBC, but I totally understand why the OMV developpers wouldn't bother anymore with plugin maintenance.

For the sake of this post, I'm starting from this tutorial (plus a few, undocumented steps) with what I assume is a stock OMV6 configuration.

Sooo, on step 5 we are required to set the PUID and PGID to 1000, but it doesn't explicitely says we need to use the ones from newly-created appuser: Worse, a few lines down we read:

Zitat
    Replace the values with the appropriate ones in your case.
    • (…)
    • You can see the values of user appdata in Users > Users in the UID and GID columns.

There no such user as appdata. In fact, following these instructions up to step 4 only shows one user, the one we just created. Does it refer to appuser, then?

Plus, the columns aren't shown by default; one has to use the "table" icon to find these.

Then there's:

Zitat

In this case we don't need it since we have defined the DATA folder in the plugin GUI at Services>Compose>Settings. But if you need to define other different routes you can also do it here in the same way as the rest of the variables.

What does the "it" refers to? The environment variables?

• Offizieller Beitrag

For the sake of this post, I'm starting from this tutorial (plus a few, undocumented steps) with what I assume is a stock OMV6 configuration.

I'm sorry, I'm not going to read other documents, there is a lot of documentation on the internet, some more or less updated than others and some written more or less correctly. You can choose the tutorial that you like the most or that gives you the most confidence, but in no case do I advise you to mix two different tutorials, the result will be a failure.

to set the PUID and PGID to 1000

PGID is not 1000, it is 100, it is the group used in OMV.

There no such user as appdata. In fact, following these instructions up to step 4 only shows one user, the one we just created. Does it refer to appuser, then?

True, there was an error there, it is now corrected, thanks for your contribution.

What does the "it" refers to? The environment variables?

That phrase means that you can define paths in the environment variables file. I really don't know if it is well translated, my knowledge of English is limited and I rely on translators. If you think I should correct that wording, I accept suggestions.

___________________________________________________________________________________

This is a document that is written with beginners in mind. Try to solve all the problems that we usually see in the forum with docker. If you are an experienced user and think that docker is simple, you may not need to read this document to configure docker. In Linux there are many different ways to do things, this is just a proposal to avoid common problems.

I appreciate any contribution you or any member of the forum can make.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I worry about the overhead this will entail on what is essentially a SBC

Overhead from what? docker? There is essentially none. Plenty of people run multiple containers on an RPi3.

omv 7.4.2-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I accept suggestions

In almost every instance of technical documentation you can, or maybe should replace "it" with "the $noun" or "the $noun is"

"it increases spinning" -> the voltage increases spinning

"it's assigned" -> the variable is assigned

• Offizieller Beitrag

In almost every instance of technical documentation you can, or maybe should replace "it" with "the $noun" or "the $noun is"

"it increases spinning" -> the voltage increases spinning

"it's assigned" -> the variable is assigned

Thank you very much, I will keep that in mind from now on. In Spanish the subject is omitted, it is implicit in the verbs, translators usually give me problems with that.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!