Choosing Between Bare Metal and Virtual Machine for OMV: Seeking Advice and Experiences

• Offizieller Beitrag

Of my 3 boxes, 2 are running OMV and 1 Prox.. I really truly am just bored to death and wanna try new things

That is what VMs are for. If you install OMV on the host and try new things in VMs, it will be solid. This is exactly what I do.

I wish I was bored to death and had lots of time to do things.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That is what VMs are for. If you install OMV on the host and try new things in VMs, it will be solid. This is exactly what I do.

I wish I was bored to death and had lots of time to do things.

Hey ya know what I work my 60 hours a week climbing telephone poles and pulling cable. My "bored" time may not be exciting but it's all good.

That and this last 6 months have been a nightmare.

I went in to ER 6 months ago.. Heart and chest hurting.. left side numb. They did MRI, CT Scan, Echo etc and kept me over night. They said it was "complex migraine" and sent me home. 2 weeks later went back for same... they did not even test me, said "complex migraine". 4 months went by Ive been wanting to die every day, 24/7 nausea, limbs numb, heart aches etc...I went back a month ago... This new doctor, after me telling them I KNOW, IM FINE, EVERY TEST IS OK, she says, um no, your echo came back bad, you NEED to see a cardiologist. 4 months Ive wanted to die.

I finally get into a heart doctor, went over stuff, doing testing Jan [first week].

SOOO I am trying to make myself bored, more relaxed etc...Which is also why lately I have been a nag and negative. I am just in a zone, BUT it's all good.

That's all.

Move along, move along.

• Offizieller Beitrag

SOOO I am trying to make myself bored, more relaxed etc...Which is also why lately I have been a nag and negative. I am just in a zone, BUT it's all good.

Well good luck with whatever they find. Since you have heart issue, lowering stress is good. Testing things in VMs instead of bare metal will help lower stress lol

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Well good luck with whatever they find. Since you have heart issue, lowering stress is good. Testing things in VMs instead of bare metal will help lower stress lol

I agree! I DID installed OMV7 in a VM and have had 0 issues, all works fine, mounted NFS drives, running some dockers.. Love it so far.

• I run 3 OMVs.

1 - Bare metal, main server, runs Jellyfin in docker with Intel iGPU graphics passed through for transcoding. This would be difficult in an OMV VM.

2- Proxmox VM - used to receive backups of media files. Easy to backup and restore system, just a few minutes, no effort. This would be harder on bare metal.

3- Proxmox VM OMV 7 to test.

Both ways are good but neither perfect.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• Backup plugin but I rarely use the backup.

I don't. Anything that I am unsure about is tested in a VM. But since I do minimal things in OMV's OS, this isn't an issue. I don't remember the last time I did something even to a testing install that I couldn't fix though.

Proxmox is the exact same Debian userland as OMV. How are you not breaking things in Proxmox? If you aren't installing things on the bare metal OS, you should apply that same thinking to OMV when it is installed on bare metal.

All good points. Running OMV on bare metal would have the minor advantage for me of not needing to do hardware passthrough of the HBA, though it is not difficult to configure. I don't mess with proxmox other than installing updates, but if something gets messed up it's easier for me to install proxmox and then bring my VM's back up then to reinstall OMV and reconfigure everything in OMV. Just recently I had to do this because the system drive in the server was starting to fail. Put in new drive, install proxmox and configure hardware passthrough, copy VM's from backup server, start them up, done. The most annoying part is hooking up a monitor and keyboard to the server. It would be nice to get a KVM for the rack to make that easier too.

So I could run OMV on bare metal (I used to back in the days of OMV 2 and before I upgraded servers), but I'm not going to any more.

• At the "Enterprise" level, which is what a lot of these tools are designed for, all data and people are replaceable, remember that corporate view.

Is your data irreplaceable? Every abstraction avoided helps resist munging so, if it's irreplaceable data, you probably don't want containers or VMs or even to have the drive powered on!

• Offizieller Beitrag

but if something gets messed up it's easier for me to install proxmox and then bring my VM's back up then to reinstall OMV and reconfigure everything in OMV

If you made a clonezilla (or ddfull in the backup plugin) image of OMV once you had it setup, then if you media failed, you just restore that image, update, and maybe tweak a couple settings. OMV doesn't have to be harder.

• If you made a clonezilla (or ddfull in the backup plugin) image of OMV once you had it setup, then if you media failed, you just restore that image, update, and maybe tweak a couple settings. OMV doesn't have to be harder.

You're not wrong. It's a choice. The way I see it is both are Debian and very similar under the hood but PVE is a feature-rich hypervisor that some folks like to turn into a NAS. OMV is a feature-rich NAS that some folks like to turn into a hypervisor. I guess I choose to use the systems for the purpose for which they are specifically built. As an absurd example, it's possible build a linux based router that could also be a NAS, VPN server, media server, etc., etc., but to me that's a horrible idea.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess I choose to use the systems for the purpose for which they are specifically built.

Since Proxmox and OMV are both Debian, neither specifically built to be a NAS or hypervisor. KVM is part of the Linux kernel (just like NFS) meaning it is meant to be a hypervisor. How you interface with KVM or nfs is just an app and the system doesn't need to be "built" for it.

As I have said, use what you want but don't think Proxmox is a different KVM than OMV. Proxmox has many more features and might do some things better but it is still doing the same things underneath the covers.

As an absurd example, it's possible build a linux based router that could also be a NAS, VPN server, media server, etc., etc., but to me that's a horrible idea.

Would you think it would be absurd if each of those applications was running in its own VM all on the same server?

• As I have said, use what you want but don't think Proxmox is a different KVM than OMV. Proxmox has many more features and might do some things better but it is still doing the same things underneath the covers.

Yep. I like those features and I will use what I want :)

Would you think it would be absurd if each of those applications was running in its own VM all on the same server?

No, assuming the server hardware was capable.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!