Trying to install Wireguard plugin results in Odroid HC2 being stuck in bootloader

• I already addressed the following issue in the https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=99&p=378029 and the Armbian forum. A kind user pointed out that this could be a OMV6 bug, so I'm trying to seek help here also.

-------

I already posted the question in the Odroid forum. I decided to post it here too since it may be more inherent to the Armbian OS.

I used both Armbian_23.02.3_Odroidxu4_bullseye_current_5.4.239.img from the odroidxu4 archive and Armbian-unofficial_23.11.0-trunk_Odroidxu4_bullseye_current_6.1.63 generated from the Armbian build script. (Base CLI Image).

After flashing the former image and then installing OMV6, this is the output that OMV6 gives me when installing the openmediavault-wireguard plugin:

Then, after rebooting, here is the output of minicom:

Spoiler

And the ODROID doesn't go further. It stays stuck at "BOOTP broadcast 1".

What could be the issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Here is the continue of the message above:

Next, I tried to repeat the same steps with the image generated from the Armbian build script. Here is the output of OMV6 when installing openmediavault-wireguard:

And here is the output of minicom:

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

The question would be: What happens if you run the apt-get install wireguard command on that system? Would the Odroid XU4 compatible kernel also be uninstalled or not?

The problem you are having has already occurred before on the forum, there is a recent thread somewhere, you will have to look for it.

The summary is that the kernel you use does not have the wireguard module integrated nor, apparently, an easy way to compile it. So the alternative is to use Wireguard in a container.

The second problem is that your system is 32-bit, therefore it will be difficult to find an updated 32-bit container, little by little they are disappearing and it is increasingly difficult to take advantage of a 32-bit system that has already been obsolete for many years. It may sound sad, but it's reality, I'm sorry. My advice is to replace your HC2 with a 64-bit system to avoid these problems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, it seems my memory is playing tricks on me a little, you might have a way to fix this regardless. Read this thread.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was hoping to not have to put anything special in the wireguard plugin to support these old kernels that don't have the wireguard module natively in them. This is a known issue just like with zfs.

omv 7.4.2-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank your for the helpful replies.

Zitat

The second problem is that your system is 32-bit, therefore it will be difficult to find an updated 32-bit container, little by little they are disappearing and it is increasingly difficult to take advantage of a 32-bit system that has already been obsolete for many years. It may sound sad, but it's reality

I'm aware of that. It's a pity and I'm already contemplating purchase of a newer device.

However, I did not expect such a destructive behavior; that was my main concern.

• Offizieller Beitrag

However, I did not expect such a destructive behavior; that was my main concern.

I don't know why it was but I didn't follow every dependency of the wireguard package. The plugin must depend on the wireguard for it to be installed when installing the plugin. This is basically its only dependency. So, the fact that apt wanted to install a Debian arm kernel and uninstall your armbian kernel is something unpredictable unless I literally test on every armbian board they support. Another good reason to backup your SD card periodically.

omv 7.4.2-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!