OMV-extras kernel plugin memtest

• Offizieller Beitrag

Were either of you booting from iso around when this happened? The plugin will change grub_default to "saved". grub is automatically supposed to change saved back to the grub entry that was "saved". Maybe it changed it to the wrong entry? I can't see this happening more than once though. If you tell the plugin to boot memtest, it does not use the "saved" functionality since setting the boot option in the plugin is not a boot once feature like the ISOs have.

Negative.

• Were either of you booting from iso around when this happened? The plugin will change grub_default to "saved". grub is automatically supposed to change saved back to the grub entry that was "saved". Maybe it changed it to the wrong entry? I can't see this happening more than once though. If you tell the plugin to boot memtest, it does not use the "saved" functionality since setting the boot option in the plugin is not a boot once feature like the ISOs have.

Nope. I rebooted because one of my VM's lost it's network and was giving an "already in use" error trying to re-connect to the macvlan it uses, like it never got released when I restarted the VM. A hardware reboot is a good place to start when strange things happen so just a routine reboot.

• Just in case this helps determine the issue, I just installed the latest updates which my server notified me of:

pve-headers-5.15.131-2-pve amd64 5.15.131-3 [12.5 MB]

openmediavault all 6.9.9-1 [2408 kB]

pve-headers-5.15 all 7.4-9 [4880 B]

After the install the server had reset to memtest as the boot option in the kernel. I had to reset it to the correct boot option again.

I also did another OMV machine that notified me of:

pve-headers-5.15.131-2-pve amd64 5.15.131-3 [12.5 MB]

pve-headers-5.15 all 7.4-9 [4880 B]

This one did not reset to memtest.

The difference is the OMV upgrade.

• A little bit of additional info if it helps.

After the upgrades, I decided to install the Proxmox 6.2 kernel from the plugin. On the machine that didn't reset to memtest, the install seemed normal, but on the one that reset to memtest, I noticed an error in the install log on screen when trying to clean the building module area.

Both machines are iidentical hardware.

Here is the text of the install:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe dkms is causing the problem? OMV itself shouldn't be doing anything with grub.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Maybe dkms is causing the problem? OMV itself shouldn't be doing anything with grub.

Did a little digging. That dkms error was related to a mellanox 100Gb NIC driver that was installed by a guy we had here to initialize our new SAN setup. I have 2 of those servers and he only installed it on one of them, so I know the kernel supports the card directly. I removed the mellanox driver and the kernel, then reinstalled the kernel and the dkms error did not re-appear.

I'll continue to monitor over the next updates to see if the reversion to memtest happens again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!