OMV7 beta +Active Directory

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is beta. Use at your risk. I did it in a proxmox 8 vm. I take snapshots after a few steps so if it doesn't work I can rollback.

This is basicly the same as the this post.

More detail there for other AD etc.

Install debian 12 as minimal as possible. Be sure to put in your domain.

If network is not working use "omv-firstaid" to fix.

Allow ssh

update to current

Install OMV.

apt install dnsutils mmdb-bin mlocate

Make sure dns resolves your AD server forward and reverse. Same for AD to OMV.

Don't use /etc/hosts because it will cause problems down the road. OMV controles it!

Optional: Install certificate for web server.

This is mostly from: OMV 6.X (RC1) Active Directory

With help from the community

In web ui apply the changes after most modifications.

Be sure these are correct

If you use dhcp it may be ok but check these!

Set ntp to domain time server and time zone

realm join example.com -U donadmin

If more than one use coma separator and no spaces

Set network to static and domain dns servers

Some apt installs will install some dependencies too.

apt install realmd policykit-1

realm discover example.com

Should give details including "client-software: sssd"

apt install sssd sssd-tools libnss-sss libpam-sss adcli samba-common-bin packagekit-tools cracklib-runtime appstream ldap-utils sssd-dbus apt-config-icons gstreamer1.0-tools libsss-sudo gstreamer1.0-plugins-base libsss-simpleifp0

realm join example.com -U donadmin

ssctl domain-list

In samba settings extra options set this

apt install winbind libsss-sudo libnss-winbind libpam-winbind libwbclient0

cp /etc/nsswitch.conf /etc/nsswitch.conf.bak

nano /etc/nsswith.conf and set these lines like this.

Code
    passwd: files winbind systemd sss

group: files winbind systemd sss

shadow: files systemd sss

gshadow: files systemd

reboot

Setup share and test.

Feedback welcome.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for trying this. Be aware that some changes may be overwritten by updates. smb.conf is one example. If you make changes be sure to do it in the extra options section in the web ui.

The page you linked looks very helpful. It is over a year old but should still be good.

What AD are you connecting to.

• My AD is not a Windows Server like yours, since I am broke and can't afford a x64 server or mini pc. So I'm stuck on a arm64 single board computer... So I have proxmox for Raspberry Pi (PiMox) with a debian 12.5.0 installation and I followed a guide about setting up samba as a Domain Controller if you also want to try make the same thing I have did the following guide since Samba is a big wordy for my brain to understand. (This is not a advertisement but to show how my servers work,

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    ). But if you have any other OS you think I can use to emulate AD Server please tell me. Thanks, donh.

EDIT: I have also seen the OMV7 change to smb.conf, and sadly /etc/hosts .. chronyd .. /etc/resolv.conf .. and basically everything I need for it to connect

• !! WARNING !!

I am not an expert in this field. I have got this working successfully. My AD DC Server is NOT a Windows Server and you WILL/MIGHT have to modify properties to get it working as you may wish. I am using a Samba AD DC (4), replicate this if you fail using Windows Server.

Thanks for reading this!

Background Data:

- Running on PiMox (Raspberry Pi Equivalent of Proxmox)

- Raspberry Pi 4b, 8 GB Edition

- The OpenMediaVault is ran as a VM

- The Active Directory is also ran as a VM on Debian 12

- My nr.01 Domain Server is dc01.home.local, manages DNS, you will have to modify /etc/hosts (may not be needed but incase)

- My Domain "forst" is home.local and for short I use "home". Anything including about the domain or short hand means YOU WILL have to modify this to get it working.

- In my AD DC server for some reason the Workgroup is HOME so you may also want to change that.

Setup:

1. I installed debian 12 (1 core, 2 GB Ram). Default, config is fine, just set ur hostname as I won't mention that (hostnamectl set-hostname <FQDN e.g nas02.home.local>

2. Ran the Install Script:

Code
    sudo wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

- Github: https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…-Developers/installScript

3. Go to server at http://[YOUR SERVER IP]/

4. Login as admin:openmediavault

5. Network > Interfaces, select your main interface and press the Edit (Crayon like icon)

6. Set the IPv4 to Static (Netmask is usually 255.255.255.0)

7. At advanced settings put your DNS Server (That also handles your AD DC Server)

8. At "Search domains" put your forest domain for me its home.local

9. Wait for "Pending configuration" and save.

=== EXTRA NOTE ( Forgot to add ) ====

Go to your DNS Server and add the new IP and the full FQDN of the server. This is to prevent some errors from happening when connecting the server via net ads join!

======================================

10. Go to http://[NEW IP ADDRESS]/

11. Login, change admin password ( safety reason)

12. System > Date & Time change "Time servers" to your AD DC Server address (dc01.home.local, home.local)

13. Wait for "Pending confiuration" and apply changes.

14. System > Plugins and look for "openmediavault-hosts" and download it. ( Thanks to the author, I don't need to use dnsmasq )

15. Network > Hosts and add the following line(s) for each DC server (change as required):

192.168.0.112 dc01.home.local home.local home

16. Save. Wait for "Pending configuration" and apply and save changes.

17. Go to /etc/krb5.conf and change and paste the following:

Code
    [libdefaults]
        default_realm = HOME.LOCAL
        dns_lookup_realm = false
        dns_lookup_kdc = true

19. Go to /etc/security/pam_winbind.conf and just paste the following:

Code
    [global]
        krb5_auth = yes
        krb5_ccache_type = FILE

20. Do the following commands as sudo:

sudo apt install acl attr samba winbind libpam-winbind libnss-winbind krb5-config krb5-user dnsutils python3-setproctitle

21. Go to OMV then Services > SMB > Settings and change the workgroup as required. Then go down to extra options and paste and modify the follwoing ( LEAVE THE CAPITALS, CAPITALISED :(

22. Go to /usr/local/samba/etc/user.map ( you might need to make some directories, mkdir ) and paste and MODIFY the following (Change Administrator to admin or someone idk):

Code
    !root = HOME\Administrator

23. Do the following command change Administrator to ur domain admin or someone who can join computers to domain

sudo net ads join -U Administrator

24. Go to /etc/nsswitch.conf and edit passwd and group from:

files systemd (winbind) to just "files winbind" e.g:

Code
    passwd:         files winbind
    group:          files winbind
    shadow:         files systemd
    gshadow:        files systemd

25. You can start Samba. You may have to restart the server for users and groups to work. Also make sure everything was completed as one little mistake can break it.

Sources:

- Samba Wiki Page (https://wiki.samba.org/index.p…_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member)

- "donh" from openmediavault forum (OMV 6.X AD Form helped some of this )

- Me, i researched this.

Thank you!

- yew2362

Code
    I do not plan on giving support for this as I am not a big person in Long Term Support, so ask gpt or sm idk.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!