Docker backup is sometimes ignoring directory size limit

• Twice in the last week the compose plugin backup process has filled my backup drive by backing up whole volumes from my system ignoring the max size set in the backup settings. The first time it backed up a .snapshot directory and the second time it backed up(tried to) my mergerfs volume. It appears to have happed with two different compose files both used for system maintenance.

This does not seem to happen on every backup and has happened once on these containers:

Relevant volumes lines:

Code
    volumes:
    - /config/DiskOver:/config
    - /merged:/data
    - /ssd/Documents:/documents

volumes:
    - /srv/dev-disk-by-id-nvme-PCIe_SSD_20051851200684-part2/config/qdirstat:/config
    - /srv:/data

I am running version 6.11.3 of the compose plug in.

My recent changes to the machine were adding the diskover container from linuxserver.io and configuring my snapraid setup using snapraid-btrfs-runer. using approximately these directions

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von phborg () aus folgendem Grund: Add more information

• Offizieller Beitrag

The plugin uses du to calculate the space used. I guess I could use the -x flag to not calculate space used on other filesystems but then rsync would have to follow the same behavior. I don't know if any of these work correctly with btrfs snapshots or subvolumes. It doesn't sound like btrfs snapshots are doing the correct thing.

You also have the option of adding a # SKIP_BACKUP comment after the paths you know you don't want to backup. Have a path of /srv would basically backup all of the data on the entire system.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the quick response. I will investigate further. For now I think I will go back to my original solution of only backing up the docker config directory with borg backup and not using the backup feature in the plug in. I believe all needed docker volumes are accounted for in other ways.

Is # SKIP_BACKUP documented somewhere, or should I start reading omv source?

• I had just googled for it (omv vault compose skip_backup) and could find nothing... I also searched the docker_in_omv page and found nothing... I had missed that there were two pages on the compose plug in at different levels in the doc tree. It might be worth thinking about the organization.

Is there some way that better integration between the doc and the UI can be achieved. As a gui user I don't tend to go back to the doc unless I think something has changed. I expect most info directly in the gui.

Links on the settings page: Backup for each section would encourage checking the dock.

Phil

• Offizieller Beitrag

docker_in_omv page and found nothing...

When I use the search box on the omv-extras to look for SKIP_BACKUP, it is the first hit.

Is there some way that better integration between the doc and the UI can be achieved

The plugin has links to the both wiki pages that deal with docker and the compose plugin.

As a gui user I don't tend to go back to the doc unless I think something has changed. I expect most info directly in the gui.

As the dev, I don't have time to maintain all of the documentation (I'm also not good at writing docs for noobs). I also think it should be in one place. The plugin links to the wiki which is much better at presenting information and much easier for multiple people (most who aren't devs) to contribute to those docs.

Links on the settings page: Backup for each section would encourage checking the dock.

I don't think many more links (which there isn't a great way to do that for each section) would make people read documentation.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It might be worth thinking about the organization.

In my opinion it is sufficiently organized. There is a tree of folders and subfolders that link to the documents depending on the version of OMV or general documents. There could be another type of menu but it is the one chosen in the wiki.

In the case of docker there are two documents for a reason. https://wiki.omv-extras.org/doku.php?id=omv6:docker_in_omv contains the explanation of the plugin interface including usage and various procedures. https://wiki.omv-extras.org/doku.php?id=omv6:docker_in_omv explains general concepts of using docker adapting to the way it can be used in Openmediavault. They are different topics that should not be mixed and that is why it is set up like this.

Regardless of this, both documents are closely related and there are several links in them that point to the other document in each case. You just have to follow those links while reading.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!