Snapraid data disk failure

• I probably have a weird situation. My new disk failed after I copied all the data. The manufacturer is willing to replace it. The problem is I don't have a spare 16TB disk lying around. What are my options to recover? I am a new user to Snapraid.

datadrive1 - 16TB (failed) (Used 2TB)

datadrive2 - 8TB

partiy1 - 16TB

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • DO NOT run a sync until you have repaired the array and data is restored. You will need a drive to replace the failed one. crashtest correct me if I'm wrong, but it wouldn't need to be 16TB, just large enough to hold the data that was there previously?

I would buy another drive to fix your array and then RMA the bad one. When you get the replacement drive, keep as a spare for the next time you have a failure.

• Offizieller Beitrag

but it wouldn't need to be 16TB, just large enough to hold the data that was there previously?

I've never tested it but I believe you're right. SnapRAID restores files only. It doesn't do an "image" based restoration. So a drive larger than 2TB, with a good sized pad, should be sufficient. (I'd go with a 3 to 4TB just to be sure.)

• Another thing to keep in mind is that SnapRAID does not restore ownership, permissions, and extended attributes. The files that are restored will be owned by the user that ran the fix command, typically root, and the permissions will be set mode 0600.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I've never tested it but I believe you're right. SnapRAID restores files only. It doesn't do an "image" based restoration. So a drive larger than 2TB, with a good sized pad, should be sufficient. (I'd go with a 3 to 4TB just to be sure.)

Snapraid's online manual seems to indicate that you just need enough space to recover.

• Another thing to keep in mind is that SnapRAID does not restore ownership, permissions, and extended attributes. The files that are restored will be owned by the user that ran the fix command, typically root, and the permissions will be set mode 0600.

Good point. I think this can be easily fixed using the resetperms plugin.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!