OMV kvm Plugin: pcie coral tpu and iGPU passthrough

• Hi! I have a coral tpu pci card that I want to use with frigate for image processing. So far, I used the coral with frigate installed as a docker container directly on the OMV system. Now I would like to isolate more, and I'm thinking about using the OMV KVM plugin for that. The only thing I can't figure out is how I could passthrough the pci card and the igpu from my intel n100 cpu.

I found this post which explains how to do exactly this, but with proxmox.

Do you have any hind or advice on how to accomplish the same results in OMV? Thank you!

• macom

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • I have also found this, but I don't know how to insert it in my VM configuration. I tried to add the example snippet (properly adapted for my PCI card) into the VM XML, but I get errors from the plugin:

500 - Internal Server Error

Unable to undefine VM :: HomeAssistant error: failed to get

domain 'HomeAssistant' virsh undefine -- domain

"HomeAssistant"

And after the error log, the VM disappears.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In case anyone needed this: I used this guide to edit the xml from the terminal and it worked very well. Now the coral pci card is detected in the VM. Next step will be to pass the iGPU.

I will see if I can get some kind of device passthru working in the plugin.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have any hint about the sharing of iGPU?

Most libvirt guides (not proxmox) will work with the plugin. Otherwise, you can wait for the plugin to have the feature. I am almost done with it.

GPU passthrough with libvirt qemu kvm – Gentoo Wiki

• Most libvirt guides (not proxmox) will work with the plugin. Otherwise, you can wait for the plugin to have the feature. I am almost done with it.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/G…ugh_with_libvirt_qemu_kvm

Hi, sorry to bother you again...
    I'm trying to passthrough the iGPU of my intel N100 (in order to have hardware acceleration for Jellyfin and Frigate), but I'm not suer what I can passthrough and what I should not.

These are my pci devices:

I have OMV 7 installed on bare metal, and I want to give access to my iGPU to one VM only. When I see this message

"Be very careful not to passthrough a device being used by the host operating system."

I'm not sure what I can select: I want OMV to be able to display its cli via HDMI, but that's all I can think of in terms of gpu usage. How should I proceed? Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I want OMV to be able to display its cli via HDMI, but that's all I can think of in terms of gpu usage. How should I proceed?

You will need to two graphics adapters and your output only has one. You can't passthrough a device and expect the host to still be able to use it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Never heard of partial passthrough or whether it is possible with libvirt.

• Never heard of partial passthrough or whether it is possible with libvirt.

Ok, I think he used an old intel technology that allowed the share of the gpu instead of an actual passthrough.
    Anyways... Do you think it would be stupid to passthrough the only gpu I have?

If not, I think what I should do is:

1. disable gpu drivers on host

2. enable passthrough of the gpu in the kvm plugin

3. enable gpu drivers on guest

Is this correct? Do you happen to have any trusted guide or reference on how to do these steps (or the correct ones)?

Thank you again

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you think it would be stupid to passthrough the only gpu I have?

Not if it works. Never tried. You wouldn't be able to fix anything from the command line if things went wrong though (unless you have a serial adapter and the system is configured to use it).

• I'd think that the embedded iGPU would still be tied to the CPU for a certain amount of instructions, in particular the stream i/o.. Do let us know if you're successful.

BTW, that person in your link is using a Docker container to do it, not a VM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!