Set disk quota for shared/smb-cifs TIme Machine folder?

• Running Version 6.9.12-2 (Shaitan). I'd like to create a shared folder that uses smb/cifs with Time Machine support enabled. Time Machine is pretty famous for wanting to chew up disk space until it runs out of disk space. On my Mac (Sonoma 13) I do not find a way to enable a quota for the OMV destination drive, so I'm hoping there is a way in OMV to set a quota for Time Machine. Is this possible? Thank you.

• I don't understand the problem. When setting up Timemachine initially on your macOS device with an omv-smb-share as target, you're asked in the setup process if you like to define a "max size" (quota).

This I did 3 months ago with my MBP running Sonoma. I defined 400GB as "max size" for Timemachine.

Raspi 4B, 4GB RAM, SSD-Boot, 2TB & 1TB SSD as data-disks in Sata/USB enclosure, IcyBox USB3-Hub

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Teschbert ()

• If time machine is not giving you the option, you can set it on the server be defining a different user for the time machine and then in the filesystem panel, you can give a quota to that user.

• But Timemachine is giving the option - as I said

Have a look here (its in german)

Afterwards or later you can change quota on macOS via terminal and "tmutil"

Raspi 4B, 4GB RAM, SSD-Boot, 2TB & 1TB SSD as data-disks in Sata/USB enclosure, IcyBox USB3-Hub

• In a perfect world it may be. I offered another option.

I am not running sonoma on the systems I have (currently ventura), and ventura did not offer me the option, so I use the server side quota.

• I don't understand the problem. When setting up Timemachine initially on your macOS device with an omv-smb-share as target, you're asked in the setup process if you like to define a "max size" (quota).

This I did 3 months ago with my MBP running Sonoma. I defined 400GB as "max size" for Timemachine.

Wondering why you are questioning me? Here, during the setup process, my macOS device is perfectly happy to set up the omv-smb-share-timemachine target, but it does not offer the option to set the max size. Honest!

• Wondering why you are questioning me? Here, during the setup process, my macOS device is perfectly happy to set up the omv-smb-share-timemachine target, but it does not offer the option to set the max size. Honest!

Sorry. Then I'm doing something wrong.

I did the setup and I could define the max size (as stated and shown in the german website).

Here another link for you: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255220939?sortBy=best

Its new to Sonoma and working fine.

• Wondering why you are questioning me? Here, during the setup process, my macOS device is perfectly happy to set up the omv-smb-share-timemachine target, but it does not offer the option to set the max size. Honest!

Hey Jack. I use time machine backups and though i have migrated an old backup volume thru several OMV installs (so I don't see the option to change size, it's not a new backup) i do remember getting the prompt with OMV6. (From MacOS Settings). I don't know if it makes any difference but i enforce SMB3 in my SMB/CIFS settings - MacOS prefers SMB3 and requires SMB2 - i think from my reading. attached is a screenshot of my settings if that helps - works here?

hope that helps!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!