Best way to encrypt 4 disks

• Quick question:

There is much debate out there about how to stack LUKS + dm_integrity + md raid....

Scenario:

• I have 4 SATA disks @ 2TB each.
    • Data is mostly media & backup storage.
    • dm_integrity is nice but not a requirement.
    • I want some redundancy if a disk fails to spin up.
    • I want reasonable performance.
    • I want to see a single filesystem.
    • I want to be able to upgrade each disk one at a time in the coming years... without rebuilding the entire array.

So, my current choices (in my brain) are:

1. mdadm raid 10 w/ LUKS stacked on top;

2. create 4 LUKS volumes on the raw disks; create BTRFS RAID10 file system using each device;

Any approach going to be better/faster than the other?

P.S. I don't want to mess with ZFS and another kernel, etc.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Choice 1 is your best option. Choice 2 would be a nightmare because the btrfs array would have to assemble after all four disks were unlocked.

You could also create LUKS volumes on all four disks, format ext4 (or xfs), pool with mergerfs for the single filesystem requirement, and add redundancy with snapraid.

don't want to mess with ZFS and another kernel,

zfs wouldn't satisfy your last bullet anyway. But you can run zfs with default Debian kernel. You just have to compile the module. And there is nothing wrong with the proxmox kernel. I run it on all of my amd64 systems.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

ZFS has the built-in property of encrypting a pool/dataset. This is built into the GUI of the openmediavault-zfs plugin.

This feature could be useful depending on how you use the encrypted drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!