Migrate from RPi4 to RPi5

• Hi,

I am about to migrate my OMV6 install from a Raspberry Pi 4 to Raspberry Pi 5. Is it as simple as moving the SD card and all the connected USB devices?

I have read that someone successfully did this migrating from Raspberry Pi 4 to Raspberry Pi 400.

TIA

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am about to migrate my OMV6 install from a Raspberry Pi 4 to Raspberry Pi 5. Is it as simple as moving the SD card and all the connected USB devices?

It will not work. Only OMV 7 can work on RPi5. OMV6 does not work on RPi5.

OMV7 is not a stable version yet, but if you want to update you can do the following:

- Make a backup of your SD card.

- Upgrade your OMV6 system to OMV7 using the omv-release-upgrade command on RPi4.

- Use omv-regen to backup OMV7 on RPi4.

- Do a clean install of OMV7 on RPi5.

- Use omv-regen to regenerate your RPi4 OMV7 configuration into RPi5 OMV7.

• Hi,

I've run into a problem, which I hope you can help with.

I followed the instructions, except for doing some tinkering to the new install of OMV through the GUI. When I tried to use omv-regen it blocked it, because it was no longer a clean install of OMV7.

I have therefore now completed a new clean install. I am not going anywhere near the GUI. However, I cannot access it through SSH, as I don't know the user and password. The one I configured for raspbian no longer works. I've tried various combinations, all without success.

I know I could go into OMV GUI and add .ssh to my user, but I don't want to go into the GUI, in case I then have the same problem of it not being a clean install.

How do I get past this?

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Accessing the GUI should not be a problem, that action will not mark the installation as not clean, unless you change settings.

You set the root password during the installation of OMV (or debian) with the ISO. In the case of an RPi you should have the password previously established for the pi user. The default GUI access password is openmediavault and the user must always be admin.

You can do the regeneration and then access the GUI, from that moment on you can change whatever you want. Furthermore, at that moment you should already have the users and passwords of the original system configured, even in ssh just as you had it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think the problem is the way you are installing OMV on the PI. I don't remember the exact way to do it, I don't use RPi very often, just for testing, but you can install on the PI with ssh enabled and working. Check the wiki, there is information about it.

• Hi,

Just to let you know (in case anyone else has a similar problem) - I did log into the GUI (using the default username and password for OMV). I then added .ssh service to my user, saved that and applied the change.

I was then able to ssh into OMV through Terminal (using the credentials I set up when I installed the RPi OS) and was able to proceed from there with omv-regen.

Thanks for your help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv7:raspberry_pi_install [omv-extras.org]

Just to let you know (in case anyone else has a similar problem) - I did log into the GUI (using the default username and password for OMV). I then added .ssh service to my user, saved that and applied the change.

I was then able to ssh into OMV through Terminal (using the credentials I set up when I installed the RPi OS) and was able to proceed from there with omv-regen.

Maybe I'm wrong, as I said I don't use RPi regularly, but I think if you follow the instructions on the wiki to install OMV you shouldn't need to do any of that. https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…omv7:raspberry_pi_install

In any case, I'm glad you solved it.

• Hi thanks-

Those are the instructions that I follow, but for some reason the install of OMV "disables" SSH until it is enabled again within user through the GUI.

Unfortunately, I now have a problem with omv-regen (which has now happened twice).

I was able to run omv-regen regeneration and everything appeared to be going to plan, but it then hangs. I can then no longer access OMV, either through the GUI or SSH, even after restarting the RPi.

The last few lines before hanging are:

Phase No.7 completed.

Regenerating node /config/system/network/dns of the database

Formatting database

Reading the value of /config/system/network/dns in original database...

Reading the value of /config/system/network/dns in actual database...

Regenerating /config/system/network/dns...

Creating temporary database...

Deleting current /config/system/network/dns node...

Copying original dns tag...

Moving dns to /config/system/network...

/config/system/network/dns node regenerated in the database.

Applying configuration changes to salt modules...

Configuring salt avahi...

[ERROR ] Command '/usr/bin/systemd-run' failed with return code: 1

[ERROR ] stderr: Running scope as unit: run-rb110d99938914b1090dc7a4e09229144.scope

Job for avahi-daemon.service failed because the control process exited with error code.

See "systemctl status avahi-daemon.service" and "journalctl -xeu avahi-daemon.service" for details.

[ERROR ] retcode: 1

[ERROR ] Job for avahi-daemon.service failed because the control process exited with error code.

See "systemctl status avahi-daemon.service" and "journalctl -xeu avahi-daemon.service" for details.

Salt module avahi configured.

Configuring salt hostname...

Salt module hostname configured.

Configuring salt hosts...

Salt module hosts configured.

Configuring salt postfix...

Salt module postfix configured.

Configuring salt samba...

Salt module samba configured.

Configuring salt systemd-networkd...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Okay. Maybe something has changed in OMV7. Can you run those two commands that the error message suggests and post the output?

systemctl status avahi-daemon.service

journalctl -xeu avahi-daemon.service

Run them one after the other. The second command will probably give you a result of several pages, you can move through them with the forward and back keys on the keyboard. Look for error messages in them.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!