SMART statuses are not working on omv7, debian 12, raspi4

• Hi, I recently flashed my raspberry pi 4 with a debian 12, configured some stuff and then installed openmediavault. i mounted my old RAID 1 from my old omv install and it seems to be working fine with my docker containers and other stuff. but i cannot seem to get the drive smart statuses to work. this is what they show on my home page:

forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/34779/

this is what disks are on my nas:

forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/34780/

the top one is my boot SD card, the next two are a RAID-1 array of 2tb, and the bottom one is a backup drive.

this is what i see when going to the disk smart status page:

forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/34781/

and these are my smart settings:

forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/34782/

any help would be greatly appreciated, and i am glad to provide more information if required. thank you.

Raspberry Pi 4 with RAID 1. two 2tb drives.

• i found what you meant and i enabled it for all drives, but i get this error when visiting the smart status page:

paste the error from the notification bell.

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 1tb nvme Data, 2TB nvme Leeching, 24TB (8tbx 3 merg) Media,

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• paste the error from the notification bell.

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; smartctl --attributes --format=brief --info --health --log=selftest /dev/sdc 2>&1' with exit code '1': smartctl 7.3 2022-02-28 r5338 [aarch64-linux-6.1.0-rpi8-rpi-v8] (local build)

Copyright (C) 2002-22, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, http://www.smartmontools.org

/dev/sdc: Unknown USB bridge [0x174e:0x1155 (0x100)]

Please specify device type with the -d option.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; smartctl --attributes --format=brief --info --health --log=selftest /dev/sdc 2>&1' with exit code '1': smartctl 7.3 2022-02-28 r5338 [aarch64-linux-6.1.0-rpi8-rpi-v8] (local build)

Copyright (C) 2002-22, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, http://www.smartmontools.org

/dev/sdc: Unknown USB bridge [0x174e:0x1155 (0x100)]

Please specify device type with the -d option.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/storage/smartinformation.inc:165

Stack trace:

#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/storage/smartinformation.inc(303): OMV\System\Storage\SmartInformation->getData()

#1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/smart.inc(455): OMV\System\Storage\SmartInformation->getSelfTestLogs()

#2 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Smart->getSelfTestLogs()

#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(122): call_user_func_array()

#4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod()

#5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(535): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call()

#6 {main}

• ive found a command for smartctl that works and displays my raid's disk statuses correctly, however im not sure how i should add that into openmediavault. as /etc/smartd.conf says "# WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost.". so im not sure how i should correct this, TIA

• Offizieller Beitrag

ive found a command for smartctl that works and displays my raid's disk statuses correctly, however im not sure how i should add that into openmediavault. as /etc/smartd.conf says "# WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost.". so im not sure how i should correct this, TIA

You can't. OMV now stricly relies on the auto-detection feature of smartmontools; this requires that your hardware is supported and included in their hardware database. If smartmontools does not knwo your hardware, you're out. Sorry; it's not the job of the OMV project to maintain the hardware of the users.

Please check this links:

- https://github.com/openmediava…7#issuecomment-1868312422

- https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/FAQ#SmartmontoolsDatabase

- https://www.smartmontools.org/…baseentriesbeaddedlocally

The smartmontools database can be customized as mentioned in the links. You can alternatively force your hardware manufacturer to take care about their product and include it in the smartmontools porject. You as a user can also help the upstream project by contributing settings that make smartmontools recognise your hardware.

• votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • However, in omv6, my nas drives were working fine with their smart statuses. and im also unsure of how to modify the database, as the documentation isnt very clear to me...

• fwuffyboi

Hat das Label gelöst entfernt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

However, in omv6, my nas drives were working fine with their smart statuses. and im also unsure of how to modify the database, as the documentation isnt very clear to me...

In OMV6 i maintained non-working hardware by implementing workarounds. Because this was time consuming (my spare time), introduces errors with other hardware that was working and finally it is not really my job to get that hardware working; as consequence I removed that code and OMV now fully relies on the smartmontools auto-detect feature which is doing the job out-of-the-box. The GitHub post explains why it does not make sense to try to fix that in the OMV code. There is too much hardware out there to do the job in OMV.

If your hardware is not working, contact the hardware manufacturer to contribute to smartmontools or buy hardware that is supported.

• votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • In OMV6 i maintained non-working hardware by implementing workarounds. Because this was time consuming (my spare time), introduces errors with other hardware that was working and finally it is not really my job to get that hardware working; as consequence I removed that code and OMV now fully relies on the smartmontools auto-detect feature which is doing the job out-of-the-box. The GitHub post explains why it does not make sense to try to fix that in the OMV code. There is too much hardware out there to do the job in OMV.

If your hardware is not working, contact the hardware manufacturer to contribute to smartmontools or buy hardware that is supported.

i understand that can be very time expensive to do, thus you stopped. but then why delete the existing workarounds for users that relied on them?

• Offizieller Beitrag

so jus to confirm, there is no way for me to get smart statuses working again unless i update the database?

I mean... If he's going to disable it because he knows it causes problems, why on earth would he tell people how to circumvent it?

I've used software that Votdev was lead on for a long time (going back to FreeNAS, and using OMV since it's the .2 beta).. I've generally found he doesn't make decisions without some fairly sound logic, even if may not 100% make sense to me.

To me, this pretty well sums it up.. he considers this more of a hardware issue than a software issue... thus why he won't address it.

Code
    The GitHub post explains why it does not make sense to try to fix that in the OMV code. There is too much hardware out there to do the job in OMV.

• I mean... If he's going to disable it because he knows it causes problems, why on earth would he tell people how to circumvent it?

because what it used to be was how my equipment was able to work ;(

im tempted to attempt to reinstall omv6 at this point due to my stuff not working properly on omv7

• Offizieller Beitrag

because what it used to be was how my equipment was able to work ;(

im tempted to attempt to reinstall omv6 at this point due to my stuff not working properly on omv7

That really makes even less sense since OMV 6 is likely to be EOL soon with OMV 7's release pending, and Debian 11 will be EOL in July (as it stands)

• That really makes even less sense since OMV 6 is likely to be EOL soon with OMV 7's release pending, and Debian 11 will be EOL in July (as it stands)

im not using debian 11, and tbh as long as my stuff works properly and security is recent im going to be honest: i dont care that much, i would much rather a functioning nas slightly less secure than a half-working more secure one.

• Offizieller Beitrag

im not using debian 11, and tbh as long as my stuff works properly and security is recent im going to be honest: i dont care that much, i would much rather a functioning nas slightly less secure than a half-working more secure one.

Uh.. Debian 11=OMV 6. OMV 6 will typically go EOL when the next version of OMV is released, but the Debian release it's based on usually hangs around a little longer.

As for your logic on security, I'll just say I strongly disagree.

• Uh.. Debian 11=OMV 6. OMV 6 will typically go EOL when the next version of OMV is released, but the Debian release it's based on usually hangs around a little longer.

As for your logic on security, I'll just say I strongly disagree.

i installed omv after debian, i didnt flash an omv os image.

plus omv6 would likely work fine on debian 12 anyway. but also, if omv7 isnt released, how come im running it from the default raspi installation script?

• Offizieller Beitrag

i installed omv after debian, i didnt flash an omv os image.

plus omv6 would likely work fine on debian 12 anyway. but also, if omv7 isnt released, how come im running it from the default raspi installation script?

Technically OMV is not an OS, OMV is software that runs on top of an OS. It provides a GUI front on some services, makes things easier to install/configure via that GUI, etc. The underlying version of Debian, is the actual OS.

No, OMV 6 will not work on Debian 12. If you read the tags on your thread, OMV 7 is tagged "RC1".. That's Release Candidate 1. While it is basically stable, it is technically not the stable release yet. OMV 6 is the current stable release. However, as mentioned.. OMV 7 is bound to convert to stable any time now (I've used it about 3mo w/o issue).. Debian 11 (that OMV 6 is based on) goes EOL in July, so I'd expect OMV 7 sooner rather than later.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!