Openmedievault 6 has random crashes that force a manual restart

• Hello everyone,

I am a fairly new user of openmediavault 6 and currently I have an issue that I am not able to solve on my own so I m hoping to get some help in this forum.

Regarding my issue, as I wrote in the title I get seemingly random crashes on my openmediavault 6 machine.

Once a crash happened I am not able to interact with the server in any possible way.

What I mean with this is that I

1) Cant log into it through SSH

2) Cant access the gui from a browser

Another thing to note, once the crash happened, the physical computer itself is still running and is not turned off.

The only solution for me at the moment is to walk downstairs to my server, force shutdown it, and start it again which I dont like especially if I think about the Health of my HDDs.

Here are a few informations about my server:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

OMV version: 6.9.11-4 (Shaitan)

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.13-amd64

As I mentioned in the beginning I am fairly new to this just as I am in posting issues, so if I missed any important stuff please tell me so I can add it!

Thanks for all the help in advance! :)

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Hi,

my OMV-Server is facing the same problem since round about 2 weeks.

I found out that the shutdowns always occur when a scheduled backup (dd-full) is running, but i could not find out why.

--> Is this the same on your system?

Also i have a lot of this erorrs in syslog:

Code
    Mar  2 21:29:49 openmediavault collectd[10713]: exec plugin: Failed to execute ``/bin/get_hdparm'': No such file or directory
  • Is that new problem top secret?

No you actually solved it for me already it was my own incompetence i am still curious what causes this issue though. I originally thought this issue to be caused by a usb'd nvme ssd i was using a boot drive i removed that ssd and booted off an sd card when i upgraded to the newest software and havent seen this problem since. I think the system was dropping connection between my boot drive and the rest of the hardware. Ive seen similar effects with loose sata cables in a pc.

• So apparently I solved my problem by disabling the cstates of my CPU in the bios. Ever since I did that I don't have the random crashes/freezes anymore.

• macom

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!