OMV7 issue with IPv6 after fresh installation

• Hi,

I realized issue with IPv6 after OMV 7 fresh install (Openmediavault_7.0-32-amd64.iso).

I booted up the installation ISO with parameters "biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0 ipv6.disable=1" and successfully installed the OMV7. Right after the installation, the webGUI was unreachable and after a bit of investigation I found that nginx does not start.

Problem is that nginx configuration file is "generated" with IPv6 (which is completely disabled on boot by ipv6.disable=1.):

/etc/nginx/sites-available/openmediavault-webgui

Zitat

listen [::]:80 default_server;

It can be easily fixed by deleting that line from nginx's configuration file but I think there is some race condition in first-run scripts and therefor IPv6 detection does not work correctly.

Right after the first boot I can see message (see attachment) on the console for ~5seconds from (/target)/etc/issue with "unconfigured interfaces": (message and IP addresses are always the same, I tried fresh install multiple times):

Then (after ~5seconds) console get refreshed and correct interfaces configuration appears, so it makes me thing first-run script (including IPv6 detection) run before the system is completely configured and therefor all daemons gets (mis)configured with IPv6:

journalctl | grep -i "Address family not supported"

I can fix it myself, just want to let you know, what I have discovered.

Cheers and thank you for your hard work ;)

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Does sudo omv-salt deploy run nginx revert your change and add the ipv6 stuff back?

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hey,

yep, omv-salt deploy run nginx indeed regenerate nginx's configuration without IPv6, but other daemons (avahi, postfix, etc..) might have problem as well - so it should be fixed in the installation ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

BTW, if you manually change anything OMV relies on, then the user is responsible for telling OMV to rebuild the service configurations that depend on your changes. OMV does not actively monitor user changes.

Because of that i think it is not necessary to open a ticket because OMV will not change the behaviour of how (user) changes are tracked.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hey,

yep, omv-salt deploy run nginx indeed regenerate nginx's configuration without IPv6, but other daemons (avahi, postfix, etc..) might have problem as well - so it should be fixed in the installation ;)

As mentioned in my previous post, OMV will not track user changes. Users need to tell OMV what has changed to redeploy the configuration. As you already found out, OMV is able to detect that IPv6 is disabled.

I think Avahi and other services are already taking care about enabled/disabled IPv6. If you find any service which does not act correct, please open a ticket at Github.

• Oki then, understand that this is my own issue and will not create the ticket on GH.

Anyway, is there any command to regenerate all configs, so I do not have to regenerate them 1-by-1 manually ?

Thank you ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

but other daemons (avahi, postfix, etc..) might have problem as well - so it should be fixed in the installation

I know but I wanted to see if the saltstack code was doing the ipv6 check correctly on your system.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Offizieller Beitrag

is there any command to regenerate all configs, so I do not have to regenerate them 1-by-1 manually ?

sudo omv-salt stage run deploy

• Thank you all for your help, omv-salt stage run deploy fixed it except avahi (use-ipv6=yes does not change in avahi-daemon.conf), but I will fix that manually - we can close this issue and sorry for bothering you.

Have a nice day guys ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

but I will fix that manually

It will be probably overwritten at some point if you change it manually. You should set the environment variable OMV_AVAHIDAEMON_USE_IPV6 to no. wiki here - https://docs.openmediavault.org/en/5.x/various/advset.html

• As mentioned in my previous post, OMV will not track user changes. Users need to tell OMV what has changed to redeploy the configuration. As you already found out, OMV is able to detect that IPv6 is disabled.

I think Avahi and other services are already taking care about enabled/disabled IPv6. If you find any service which does not act correct, please open a ticket at Github.

I routinely use ipv6.disable=1 when installing OMV from ISO on virtual machines due to limitations of my home network. I've not noticed any problems.

Usingavahi-browse --all --ignore-local --resolve --terminateon a client host appears to return the expected result. But it's something I'll keep in mind.

• ryecoaaron - thank you for the wiki link and info, I will check that ;)

Krisbee - btw: did you try install with Openmediavault_7.0-32-amd64.iso? I installed OMV6 few times last week without any issue, so that is why I thought it might be a bug in v7 (all tested in proxmox VM). Only I can say is that "strange" netconfig (with ipv6 and virbr0 mentioned above) comes from file /target/etc/issue after finishing the installation and before reboot. That file become /etc/issue after the reboot and gets populated with correct network settings after few seconds.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The /etc/issue thing is a systemd timing issue. It is just mean to be helpful and not replace logging in to look at ip a.

• Krisbee - btw: did you try install with Openmediavault_7.0-32-amd64.iso? I installed OMV6 few times last week without any issue, so that is why I thought it might be a bug in v7 (all tested in proxmox VM). Only I can say is that "strange" netconfig (with ipv6 and virbr0 mentioned above) comes from file /target/etc/issue after finishing the installation and before reboot. That file become /etc/issue after the reboot and gets populated with correct network settings after few seconds.

Yes, both OMV6 and latest OMV7. I have no choice, install hangs at configuring network stage unless I use ipv6.disable=1.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have no choice, install hangs at configuring network stage unless I use ipv6.disable=1.

I have seen this on Ubuntu for years too. I hit alt-f2, look for dhcp pid in output of ps, kill the pid, and alt-f1 back. Never had an issue doing that.

• ryecoaaron - make sense with /etc/issue

I did once more fresh install and I can see before reboot:

1. ipv6.disabled=1 in /target/etc/default/grub and /target/boot/grub.cfg
    2. /target/etc/network/interfaces is correct
    3. /target/etc/nginx/sites-available/openmediavault-webgui contains IPv6 listen directive

So it seems config files are just not regenerated on first boot and are kept from installation so I should do it manually with omv-salt stage run deploy when changing boot options - my fault, I expected to be generated on first boot.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!