Safety of NAS on Rapsberry Pi 3

• Hello. I've just built my first NAS using a Raspberry Pi 3 (Raspberry Pi OS Lite), a 2.5 HDD, and OMV software. I installed Docker and Portainer for Syncthing software. My system works fine, and I'd like to use it for backups of files from my computer. My tests were successful, but before I start keeping my data on it, I'd like to know how to protect it. I was certain that with the default configuration, the NAS 'is closed' in my local home network, but Syncthing pinged and synced with my smartphone connected by mobile data without any problem. Well, it's a useful feature, but I realized that files on my hard drive can be accessed from the 'outside.' What are the mechanisms, and how can I secure my NAS from being hacked? I've read about brute force attacks, so I turned off SSH in OMV and put strong passwords on the software. What else should I do? Or maybe I'm wrong, and my NAS is safe? I would appreciate an explanation of the risks and security methods in a relatively simple language :)

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Syncthing is software that allows you to synchronize files over the internet, depending on how you configure it. Read their documentation. https://syncthing.net/

On the other hand, perhaps you have not yet reached the true usefulness of a NAS. The best use you can make of it, and what it is designed for, is to store files and access them from one or more clients. To make backup copies you can use applications designed for this purpose, such as Duplicati or Borgbackup. Syncthing is not suitable for backups for several reasons as you can see in its documentation.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!