HELIOS4 (32bit) NAS - Best Option

• Hello All,

I have the Helios4 mini board:

Marvell ARMADA® 388

Reference: https://wiki.kobol.io/helios4/intro/

I understand that Debian Buster or Helios4 Armbian is the latest compatible version I can use with OMV5 and this system? when I try to run aptitude update I get the message below:

I am wondering if there is an available repository today that still supports the buster and helios4 version currently available for OMV5:

Code
    Ign http://mirror.ossplanet.net/armbian/apt buster InRelease
    Err http://mirror.ossplanet.net/armbian/apt buster Release
      404  Not Found [IP: 163.22.17.70 80]
    E: The repository 'http://apt.armbian.com buster Release' no longer has a Release file.
    E: Failed to download some files
    W: Failed to fetch http://apt.armbian.com/dists/buster/Release: 404  Not Found [IP: 163.22.17.70 80]

Are there any alternatives known for a repository that still support this version of Armbian?

Thank you very much in advance,

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm going to guess that is highly unlikely considering Helios dropped support in '21.

Definitely a cool device, and I almost bought a Helios64, but this is part of the danger of buying niche appliances like this that don't have serious money backing them... they run the risk of collapse and you have a cool desktop ornament.

You can try just installing 32bit Bookworm on it and see what happens... Of course then the issue becomes it's 32bit. which in my opinion is almost useless save for a SMB server

Sometimes it's cool figuring out something to do with old hardware... and sometimes, you need to understand there's a reason there's electronic recycling centers out there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you'd consider an upgrade; install OMV7 on Armbian's Bookwork -> CLI version.
    Install -> OMV7.

If you're looking to stretch the Helios4's useful life, this might be the best option. You'd get updates for awhile.

But, as KM0201 said, the CPU (and image) is 32bit.

• crashtest

OMG thank you so very much! this gives me a bit of hope to not just turn this system into a Bitcoin Lightning Node 8o

I will proceed with the guides and references you shared and hopefully I can get OMV7 running which may allow me to install extras or plugins to configure the two HDD Western Digital Red 10TB as RAID1 or ZFS Mirror.

I will keep you all up to date.

Sincerely,

• crashtest

I completed the below:

After following the instructions of updating and upgrading the packages I ran the script:

Code
    wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

And all I see is this for the past 10 min:

Code
    $ wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash
    --2024-03-22 18:18:24--  https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install
    Resolving github.com (github.com)... 20.27.177.113
    Connecting to github.com (github.com)|20.27.177.113|:443... connected.

Do I need to run that command as root or with sudo? or regular user will be fine?

I appreciate your help very much :saint:

• crashtest

Seems like the installation completed:

Code
    Summary for NAS1
    ------------
    Succeeded: 6 (changed=5)
    Failed:    0
    ------------
    Total states run:     6
    Total run time:  36.368 s
    ERROR: The state 'flashmemory' does not exist

There was that error in the last line of that summary output, and I also noticed this message:

Code
    [2024-03-22 19:54:19+0900] [omvinstall] Enable and start systemd-resolved ...
    [2024-03-22 19:54:21+0900] [omvinstall] Adding end1 to openmedivault database ...
    [2024-03-22 19:54:23+0900] [omvinstall] IP address may change and you could lose connection if running this script via ssh.
    Shared connection to 192.168.0.250 closed.

But after verifying:

Thank you so very much again for pointing me to the content. I have one more question, my apologies for not stopping...

Is it possible to add a ZFS plugin to support RAID1 or MIRROR configuration in this version of OMV? I am concerned about the fact that ZFS does demand a 64bit architecture... but I am willing to take a chance :/

Thank you again in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've never attempted a ZFS install on a 32bit device, or an ARM device, so I don't know it's a possibility in OMV.

Since OMV-extras is installed on your Helios4, as part of the scripted install, you could look for the ZFS plugin (openmediavault-zfs) under System, Plugins. If it's not there, and you attempt create a pool on the CLI, OMV won't integrate the pool, filesystems, etc., into the GUI. That means you won't be able to create network shares in the GUI.

If ZFS is not possible, you still have options. (I'm going to assume that you want to use all 4 of the drive bays.)

Traditional (mdadm) RAID:
    Since the Helios4 uses SATA drive connections, you might be able to configure RAID in the GUI (Under Storage, Software RAID). In your case, RAID5 and two RAID1 pairs are possible. With traditional RAID5, you might consider using an UPS.
    (I'm not a fan of traditional RAID but many use it.)

Rsycn:
    You could do two each Drive-to-Drive Rsync'ed pairs which are the equivalent of RAID1. (I'd argue that an Rsycn mirror is better than tradtional RAID1 because you'd have real backup.) -> Rsync.

-> SnapRAID + -> MergerFS:
    This pair of packages would give you the equivalent of RAID5, with a number of additional benefits such as data integrity, file and folder recovery, and others. But, there's some reading to do to understand them. The plugin doc's cover the basics of each plugin in an overview format. They can be used together or separately. They're not interdependent.

BTRFS:
    (I don't know if BTRFS is available to ARM and/or 32bit.) Similar to ZFS, BTRFS snapshots are supported in OMV along with other features. The only caveat would be for BTRFS RAID5; just as it is with traditional RAID5, you should consider using an UPS. (That's not a bad idea in any case.)

JBOD:
    There's nothing preventing from you from formatting each disk and simply assigning individual network shares to each drive. Other than ease of management, there's no requirement to pool disks together.

• Offizieller Beitrag

zfs does install on arm and even 32 bit. But you need to use zfs-dkms and it is MUCH better to install the kernel headers and get zfs-dkms installed before the plugin is installed. But, I wouldn't use zfs on those boards.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• crashtest

Awesome, I might just go with BTRFS, but I am definitely giving a try to ZFS :huh: forgive me lord and ryecoaaron

Expected:

Also expected:

And more warnings ;)

If it fails building it, I will just stick with BTRFS... grrrr.... X/

Thank you both for your continuous help!

Sincerely,

• Oh well:

I will give it a couple of tries and test some data that its not important, check snapshots and mirror configuration then decide between ZFS in 32bit or BTRFS.

Sincerely,

• Offizieller Beitrag

Please note, as ryecoaaron has said, this comes with risks and it's not supported. (The build warning should have been clear.)

With that said;
    Run the following on the CLI as root

zfs set aclmode=passthrough hdpool

zfs set aclinherit=passthrough hdpool

zfs set acltype=posixacl hdpool

zfs set xattr=sa hdpool

zfs set compression=lz4 hdpool

If you decide to use ACL's at some point, the above will be helpful.
    (The last is optional. Your call. )

Don't forget to create child filesystems on the parent pool. The filesystem level is where you should create your shares. In my case, I've created a separate filesystem for each share. That let's me customize ZFS properties for each share and to take individual filesystem snapshots.

Along those lines, if you want to automate snapshots, give this -> doc a look. It also covers how to do selective restores.

• crashtest

Absolutely aware. I will test all this for a week or so, and decide if I will keep it or just go with BTRFS.

Thank you so much for the acl tips, I think this storage will just be a huge 10TB "DATA" drive and inside I will have directories and files, just one child filesystem e.g.:

Code
    DATA 
    > PERSONAL
       PICTURES
    > WORK
       PRESENTATIONS

etc...
    • Offizieller Beitrag

You've already named the pool (hdpool)

In my case I set filesystems, at the root of the pool, to segregate data types. That allows for setting ZFS properties for each filesystem (if needed) but what I was most interested in was creating custom snapshot intervals for certain data types by filesystem. For instance, (even after they're deleted) I retain copies of personal documents for a year, before zfs-auto-snapshot purges them. That allows for plenty of time to discover an unintentional delete or to pull back a previous file version. On the other hand, after being deleted, video files are retained for 30 days before they're permanently purged.

Following is an example of how I segregate data types:

There's no right or wrong way, just personal preference.

• crashtest

Excellent :thumbup: I will be doing something similar then, I like the logic you are using:

What I am now trying to figure out is if I should create a share using NFS or SMB3 I checked online and heard that NFS has better performance and in such a weak system I can benefit from anything available that uses less resources and works more efficiently.

Thoughts?

Thank you so very much in advance!

Sincerely,

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!