Portainer rly needed?

• Hi guys, help me understand one thing. Do I really need to install Portainer considering my usage now* and in the future**?

*..finely managed to setup a working environment so I think next I would like to install Pi-Hole and qBittorrent and the take a brake, been at this for several days with a lot of trail and error.

**..down the line I think I want to setup Prowlarr, Sonarr, Radarr and maybe even Emby or Jellyfin.

Is it even possible to install any of this now that I have Docker setup on my OMV?

• Did read it even before postning my question, and I think I got the guest of it but I'm not sure.. cause I'm new to most of this!

I fail to see the upsides using Portainer in my particular use, so my question remain, based on my usage and combined with lite experience do I really need it or better yet must have it, or can I archived what I want anyway all in under the same roof, OMV.

As far as I could read and gather, I don't need it but then again I lack the exposure and therefore can't see the whole picture, so I figured I ask.

For all I can gather there, there os downsides with Portainer.

• Well I personally can not give you any legit answers on it's usage one over the other. I use Portainer still to this day, and love it. On my other system I am using the compose addon and seem to be having no issues.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do I really need to install Portainer considering my usage now* and in the future**?

If you don't see any obvious reason to use Portainer you should already have the answer to your question.

• Arelius

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Most people are running stacks in portainer and this would be simpler in the compose plugin directly. Not using portainer means one less thing to worry about breaking. I also think the backup capability of the compose plugin is much better than portainer. About the only reason to use portainer if you want to manage multiple nodes from one interface which most people are not doing.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Most people are running stacks in portainer and this would be simpler in the compose plugin directly. Not using portainer means one less thing to worry about breaking. I also think the backup capability of the compose plugin is much better than portainer. About the only reason to use portainer if you want to manage multiple nodes from one interface which most people are not doing.

Your arguments makes so much sense, that is why I though what is my usage and what would I gain or lose using Portainer. So far still see no reason for going down that path cause I really lack the necessary knowledge to troubleshoot (not if) but when things don't work as they should! :S

Thanks for your input!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!