recycle bin work only for some users

• hello everyone.

i have an ovm server on which i have a shared folder with samba. everything works more or less fine (the acl management page is one of the least usable things in the history but this is not the topic).

In the share configuration page i have enabled the recycle bin for all users with no maximum size limit for files and 60 days of retenction, all the way the recycle bin is working only for a couple of users and only for some files, most users are not able to find the files again after they are deleted.

I don't have much expertise with samba so it would be preferable to solve it by going through the GUI since it is there.

Thanks in advance for the help

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

i have an ovm server on which i have a shared folder with samba. everything works more or less fine (the acl management page is one of the least usable things in the history but this is not the topic).

In the share configuration page i have enabled the recycle bin for all users with no maximum size limit for files and 60 days of retenction, all the way the recycle bin is working only for a couple of users and only for some files, most users are not able to find the files again after they are deleted.

I don't have much expertise with samba so it would be preferable to solve it by going through the GUI since it is there.

It seems like a permissions configuration issue. I would reset the shared folder permissions using the omv-resetperms plugin and remove any ACL settings you made. https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…7:omv7_plugins:resetperms

Regarding the usability of the ACL tab, I recommend that you do not enter that tab unless you master what you are doing, and, if you master what you are doing, you probably will not want to enter that tab. https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…misc_docs:nas_permissions

• thanks for the reply, unfortunately I can't delete acl like this without notice since the server is used in the company where I work and that would mean exposing all the files to all the users. if there was a way to check if the problem is actually permissions it would be better.

For acl my complaint was more directed at the replace and recursive buttons (recursive applies all permissions, not just the ones you changed, if I wanted to for example give read/write to only one group without changing all the others I couldn't do it) and the table which doesn't have the line number incrementable and forces you to scroll through the tabs by clicking each time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

if there was a way to check if the problem is actually permissions it would be better.

Did you look at the permissions of files in the .recycle sub directory of the shared folder in question?

For acl my complaint was more directed at the replace and recursive buttons (recursive applies all permissions, not just the ones you changed, if I wanted to for example give read/write to only one group without changing all the others I couldn't do it)

Doesn't unchecking the replace checkbox and selecting the permissions for the group in the File access control lists section do that?

the table which doesn't have the line number incrementable and forces you to scroll through the tabs by clicking each time.

This is much more useful constructive criticism than your previous least usable comment. I'm not sure if that is possible with this framework. Volker would have to answer that.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't delete acl like this without notice since the server is used in the company where I work and that would mean exposing all the files to all the users. if there was a way to check if the problem is actually permissions it would be better.

Okay, from what you say I understand that you know what you are doing and that you need the ACL permissions. Just remember that the samba layer (including the recycle bin) is above the filesystem permissions layer, so that's what you should check. Samba does not know anything about file system level permissions and that they are more restrictive.

• The filesystem level permissions are all drwxrws---+ 5 root Administrators for both sharing and trash, in any case I have never manually touched any permissions on the filesystem after putting the OVM server on track. The thing that puzzles me is that inside the .recycle folder I find a couple of folders named after users and containing files that have been deleted, so I suppose samba has the ability to write to that path.

Plus now several users can no longer copy and paste internally to the samba folder so I guess there is some big problem :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

in any case I have never manually touched any permissions on the filesystem after putting the OVM server on track

You have done this if you have entered the ACL tab and modified permissions. All of these permissions are more restrictive than the permissions configured in the shared folders tab (samba permissions).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I suppose samba has the ability to write to that path.

samba runs as root.

The thing that puzzles me is that inside the .recycle folder I find a couple of folders named after users and containing files that have been deleted,

That is what you should find. I'm guessing the ACLs are a mess. Just another reason I hate them.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Ok thanks guys, basically the ACLs (I share the hate with you) messed up the permissions, I'll look for a way to get the users back to work and over the weekend I'll consider resetting the acl and redoing them (or switching to a solution with unix permissions + multiple shared folders)

• Offizieller Beitrag

switching to a solution with unix permissions + multiple shared folders

This is what I did at a school of 200+. Worked for over a decade without ever needing a single ACL : )

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!