How to Use a Laptop Running Linux Mint as a Client to connect to OMV as Server via Wireguard

• I have installed the Wireguard Plug-in for OMV 7 in accordance with the Wireguard Plugin for OMV7 wiki. I created a tunnel and three clients. One client for my android phone, one client for linux mint cinnamon 21.3, and one client for windows. I have both windows and mint installed on a laptop, but primarily use mint.

Using the QR code to connect my android phone to my OMV server was successful.

I have been unsuccessful in connecting my linux mint laptop to my OMV server using wireguard. I used the client config in the OMV plugin to create a client config file ending in .conf with a text editor. However, there is no, as far as I know, way to import the .conf file generated by the OMV GUI using network settings in linux mint.

There is an option in linux mint's network settings to configure a wireguard vpn connection. Where indicated, I input the private key information and public key information, allowed ips, and endpoint from the .conf file into the dialog boxes that are activated when you attempt to create a new wireguard connection. However, when I tried to use wireguard to connect to my OMV server from outside of my home network, I was unable to access the server.

Has anyone out there been able to successfully connect to their OMV server via wireguard using linux mint? If so, could you please advise me of the steps that need to be followed to achieve a successful wireguard connection with a linux mint laptop as a client and an OMV server as interface. Thank you

• sonnyhill

Hat den Titel des Themas von „How to Use a Laptop Running Linux Mint as a Client to connect to OMV Wireguard as Server“ zu „How to Use a Laptop Running Linux Mint as a Client to connect to OMV as Server via Wireguard“ geändert.
    • Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe this. https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=389817

In reality it is more a question of Linux Mint than OMV, unless someone here uses Linux Mint and answers you, I think you will get a more appropriate answer in Linux Mint forums.

• sonnyhill

1. On OMV, create a "client" config for your mint laptop.

2. On Mint ensure wireguard packages are installed.

3. On Mint, cd to /etc/wireguard and use nano to create/edit a file called wg0.conf, for example

2. On OMV, click on "client config" to view and copy & paste the details to the wg0.conf file on mint.

4. On Mint, add the wireguard connection to network manager as root with:  nmcli connection import type wireguard file wg0.conf

5. On Mint, check wireguard status with wg show and look for a successful handshake.

• Thanks Krisbee. I followed your instructions, but I am still unable to connect my Linux Mint laptop to my omv server via wireguard when connected to a hotspot on my mobile phone with wifi disabled. When I check the status with wg show in terminal, I get the response below (which is redacted), but indicates that a handshake occurred.

Is there another setting I am missing for Linux Mint? Wireguard works on my phone and windows with no issue.

One question, when you state ensure "wireguard packages" are installed, do you mean packages other than installing wireguard with the command sudo apt install wireguard? If so, what packages are they? Thanks.

root@XPS-13:/home/********# wg show

interface: wg0

public key: f******************************************************

private key: (hidden)

listening port: 41285

fwmark: 0xcad2

peer: *****************************************************************

preshared key: (hidden)

endpoint: ******************:51820

allowed ips: 0.0.0.0/0

latest handshake: 1 minute ago

transfer: 1.11 MiB received, 221.83 KiB sent

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

transfer: 1.11 MiB received, 221.83 KiB sent

The tunnel is working.

• Thanks Krisbee. I followed your instructions, but I am still unable to connect my Linux Mint laptop to my omv server via wireguard when connected to a hotspot on my mobile phone with wifi disabled. When I check the status with wg show in terminal, I get the response below (which is redacted), but indicates that a handshake occurred.

I

You've moved the goal posts. Your orig question was getting wireguard working on MInt, which as chente said is working now and needs no other packages. But that's for a normal internet connection. Now you've introduced the idea of wireguard over a tethered connection, TBH I've no idea if or how that might work. Google tells me it might not.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

That type of connection works on Windows, Android and iOS, I don't see why it shouldn't work on Mint.

The smartphone shares the internet via Wi-Fi. The laptop connects to the smartphone's Wi-Fi network to access the Internet. The laptop uses that internet connection to create a Wireguard tunnel. I do it all the time with an iPad at work.

Maybe you are activating the wireguard tunnel on the smartphone? The smartphone should only share a standard internet connection.

• chente I see a lot of chat re: attempting to "share" wireguard via mobile hot-spot. Sounds like folk have got that back to front then from your experience. Let's see if things work for the OP as you suggest - with wireguard running on Mint tethered to normal internet connection on a mobile device.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

chente I see a lot of chat re: attempting to "share" wireguard via mobile hot-spot. Sounds like folk have got that back to front then from your experience. Let's see if things work for the OP as you suggest - with wireguard running on Mint tethered to normal internet connection on a mobile device.

Yeah. Sharing the Wireguard tunnel from the smartphone is more complicated. Like you say, sometimes it doesn't work. I know there are apps that try to solve that, I guess it's the conversations you've seen on the internet.

This is tried when the laptop does not allow you to install wireguard. If the laptop allows you a standard wireguard installation it is very simple.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!