General Questions about Debian / OMV versions / Kernel

• :D

the "Putty-Way"....

enabling port forwarding for the ssh port in the router. using dyndns and the putty tool to access your ssh connection at home. you also need to import personal ssh certificate into the putty tool and et voila.. connection granted !

Asus Z97M-Plus / Intel Core i5 / 16 GB RAM / System: 120 GB Intel SSD / RAID 1 - 2 x 4 TB Seagate ST4000VN000 / USB Backup HDD - Seagate Backup Plus Desktop STCA4000200

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    Kernel 4.19.0.0 bpo4 - amd64
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• You don't need to use certificates. But I bet you write that because you may think SSH is insecure if it's not using certs for auth?

About the other steps: What differes there from using shellinabox? You still need to connect to the WebGUI and if its outside your network you need DynDNS and portforwarding to. So I don't see any benefits from shellinabox, besides that it is useable in restricted networks.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• You don't need to use certificates. But I bet you write that because you may think SSH is insecure if it's not using certs for auth?

Right, i´m think like this

Zitat

About the other steps: What differes there from using shellinabox? You still need to connect to the WebGUI and if its outside your network you need DynDNS and portforwarding to. So I don't see any benefits from shellinabox, besides that it is useable in restricted networks.

Greetings
    David

Whats the difference... I don´t think that i have to connect to the WebGUI first.. i think it should be possible port forwarding correctly configurated) that you can enter it directly using: xxx.dyndns.org:4200
    I have dyndns always running and portforwarding is configured very fast. The benefit using it like this is: Ican enter the shell from whereever i want and an internet connection exist. If i use to work on different computers, i always have to configure Putty on every machine. don´t you think so ?

Asus Z97M-Plus / Intel Core i5 / 16 GB RAM / System: 120 GB Intel SSD / RAID 1 - 2 x 4 TB Seagate ST4000VN000 / USB Backup HDD - Seagate Backup Plus Desktop STCA4000200

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• You can use one of the OpenVPN plugins to connect from remote locations too.

Thats true, and it´s very confortable to use OpenVPN. In my case access to my network from external works very good and i can reach every service i need to access.. OMV WebGui, Plex, Owncloud and everything...

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• Right, i´m think like this

Okay... but it doesn't seem you take that for full:

Ican enter the shell from whereever i want and an internet connection exist.

On one hand you only want to use SSH via certs, on the other hand you are fine by using it via webbrowser and using credentials. Not consistent to me.

I don´t think that i have to connect to the WebGUI first.. i think it should be possible port forwarding correctly configurated) that you can enter it directly using: xxx.dyndns.org:4200

Yeah, but you enumerated port forwarding and DynDNS as a negative on the putty way - but you have it on this way too.

If i use to work on different computers, i always have to configure Putty on every machine. don´t you think so ?

No I don't think so. But thats probably only for me, because I only type my hostname in and save it and maybe change the character-set... not much trouble. And to count setting up certs as a neg. point is out of the question since you stated you're fine by using it cert-free via webinterface.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• What about putty portable? You can put it on your usb stick and always have your configuration with you.

Er hat Jehova gesagt!

He could lose that stick and because he would be using certs he would open his server to the finder, if he does not notice that he lost it for some time until he removes the pub key from his server.

Edit: Damn it, forgot for one second that you could use a passphrase for the certs.

Greetings
    David

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von davidh2k ()

• Good Morning from Germany :)

Guys, you are all right !

@'David

True, thinking about it... i´m inconsistent in it. Nowadays you should think more secure.
    As i dont use OMV for business purposes and just storing private data on it... some Photos, Videos, Documents, nothing important.. i have nothing to hide @NSA and other similar organisations: it´s not worth it to check my Data :-))

If i had to administrate my system all the day i would find another solution to do it. Shellinabox is a good solution if you want to learn and try some smaler things for people like me which never worked with Linux before. I like to find out new features (at the moment is everything new to me :) ..and trying things.

i´m glad to have the possibility to ask things here in the forum and to discuss them. Learning from professionals !

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• As i dont use OMV for business purposes and just storing private data on it... some Photos, Videos, Documents, nothing important..

Hi to Germany! :)

I think, that private data is _important_, because they are your memory. I don't want to be a part of the "Lost Generation". Take 16 Minutes of your life and watch it. Than take 30 Minutes to think about it and your data. ;)

i have nothing to hide @NSA and other similar organisations: it´s not worth it to check my Data :-))

Everybody should think about NSA and others. It's not 'them', who's attacked, it's 'you'!

I like to find out new features (at the moment is everything new to me ..and trying things.

If you like to find out new things, I got a tip for you. Grab VMware-Player (no cost for personal use), build two (!!) virtual systems (one Desktop-Linux, OMV with several virtual HDDs). If you don't want to put systems into the web, create a virtual private network for them. Then you test whatever you like (example: Pull an HDD out of the RAID5-System) without risking your data.

Do not - never ever - tests on your productive system! Or you will be a part of the 'Lost Generation'! :thumbdown:

• I don´t need to create a VPN, but i have a VM already running, and as i´m working for an IT department i know of cause that i´ve never ever to play with a productive System ! :)

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!