SATA3 Adapter Card Not Recognized

• I've tried to add SATA3 Cards to expand beyond the 4 ports that come on the motherboard. I want to add more drives to grow my RAID5. One card the Gigabyte H610I MB bios sees and the other it does not: highpoint rocket 640L RAID controller (bios sees this card) and JESOT 4 port using the Marvell chipset (bios can't see this).

When I attach only 1 disk to the highpoint, OMV boots up correctly without error. The new drive shows up correctly. But when I attach more drives we get the same errors during bootup as shown in the attached picture. None of the drives show up in OMV.

When I use the JESOT, the onboard LED's light up indicating the drives are attached but i still get the same bootup errors and no drives show in OMV.

OMV will eventually boot and functions properly. My existing disks and RAID5 show up and function properly. But no new disks can be added through the SATA3 adapter.

I'm desperate for help.

Regards,

• RE: highpoint rocket 640L RAID controller

You need to ensure this ( and any other addon SATA card) is configured to work as in pure HBA mode when using Linux software MD RAID in OMV.

This document indicates the procedure to follow: https://filedn.com/lG3WBCwKGHT…ck_Installation_Guide.pdf

You might find the configuration easier to do/test on a Windows machine before re-installing the card in your OMV box. This may not solve your problem but should be done regardless of other checks.

• What about the other card I listed which isn't a RAID card? The BIOS does not see it but I will check to see if windows will. Why isn't that one not working? The Marvell chipset is supposed to be the most compatible for Linux, what I heard.

• But which Marvell chipset? These were common in the past 88SE9230/5, but I've no idea about that JESOT card. I did come across an old thread which suggested you might need to turn virtualisation off in the m/board BIOS when using some of these Marvell based SATA cards.

• But which Marvell chipset? These were common in the past 88SE9230/5, but I've no idea about that JESOT card. I did come across an old thread which suggested you might need to turn virtualisation off in the m/board BIOS when using some of these Marvell based SATA cards.

KR, I don't know but I tried adding it to a know good computer system that has windows on it. Win10 could not recognize it. I believe the new card is defective out of the box.

Here is something interesting I did to test my theory. I always have redundant new hardware identical to my server with OMV and Plex server on it. That said, I setup that hardware on my table. Here is what I setup:

GigaByte H610I DDR4 ITX MB

8Gig Memory Stick

Highpoint 640L RAID card for the PCIE slot

(4) WD 3TB Red Drives (old ones laying around)

(1) Samsung SSD 250 GIG SATA drive

Added 2 drives to SATA ports built in the MB (SSD and WD)

Added 2 drives to SATA ports on the Highpoint 640L card

Have 1 WD drive ready to add to grow RAID 5

Connected the SATA3 cable to the SSD/WD on MB and 2 WD drives on the Highpoint card. Waiting to simulate adding the other drive after I installing OMV 6 to grow the RAID

Install went well unlike my production OMV server where I'm having problems with the highpoint 640L card being recognized by the OS.

Created the RAID 5 and file system. Added one large movie to a shared folder. No errors reported.

Connected the last WD drive booted the system. The system recognized it. I turned on SMART and reboot system.

Quick wiped the drive. Then added it to the RAID 5 using the grow function. Currently, the "STATE" is in clean, reshaping meaning its recalculating the RAID to accommodate the added drive. That will take time.

So far, no issues at all. All the same hardware used. Here is what is different from my production server vs test bed:

Using SATA3 SSD vs NVMe drive for OS (I'm wondering if there is a BIOS config or resource sharing issue)

Test bed vs Case with hotswap bays with a back-plain

Here's my question. How can I reinstall OMV 6 over my existing install (after I clone the drive of course) to preserve all of my configurations like user accounts, ACLs, RAID 5 configs, etc? My hope is that if there is a resource conflict or driver issue for the new highpoint SATA card, perhaps that gets worked out during the reinstall using the install script. Here is a OMV forum post that says it can be done. I just need clarification on how to do it. Is it simply popping the install USB drive in and booting to the install program on it or do I have to capture the script from the OMV library somewhere. The following is the link and a cut and paste:

If you want to play it safe, make a working clone of the OS drive PRIOR to try anything further.

To try to fix whatever issues are happening, you can run the install script to see if it will fix it:

----------------------------------------------------------

With my lab. I plan on testing both script and new install. With the new install, I want to make sure my RAID and data on it is preserved and can be remounted. Then I can take my screenshots of my configurations for my plex, user, services, extras, etc, you know what I mean, yes? Sometimes a fresh install is better. I know with Windows 10, I can easily install a fresh install and it will recognize its own raid and dynamic disks and remount with one click. So that's my hope here. I don't dare experiment with my drives with data. Unless I'm completely sure.

Please provide your thoughts and technical input. I greatly appreciate your time.

Rob

sudo wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

• How much was the SATA3 card that is giving you trouble?

Have you looked for LSI SAS cards in that price range? My last purchase was an LSI 9207 that I paid $35 for. Many available on eBay, some even include cables.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Using SATA3 SSD vs NVMe drive for OS (I'm wondering if there is a BIOS config or resource sharing issue)

Test bed vs Case with hotswap bays with a back-plain

Legacy boot versus UEFI boot. maybe?

Can't answer question about "repairing" OMV installation as I've not studied that thread. But I believe omv-regen may do what you want.

Have you looked for LSI SAS cards in that price range? My last purchase was an LSI 9207 that I paid $35 for. Many available on eBay, some even include cables.

I have not. But I don't believe its a card issue as indicative of my recent post where I setup a test bed with exact hardware with exceptions. The card works fine with OMV 6 telling me its likely a OS config and/or driver issue. If the card is detected with a fresh install like in my case, everything works great. The fresh install proved its not the hardware. Its likely an OS config/driver issue or me (novice). The card was ~$65 with hardware RAID capabilities:

RocketRAID 600 series HBA's are an ideal 6Gb/s SATA storage solution for any PC or Mac platform, and are available with 1 to 4 Mini-SAS/SATA/eSATA ports in internal and external configurations. The compact PCB design, available low-profile form factor and industry standard port connectors make any storage upgrade, integration or expansion project a snap.

RocketRAID 600 HBA's deliver HighPoint's Industry-proven RAID Technology, and a comprehensive RAID Management Suite. Customers can quickly and easily configure a wide-range of storage configurations, including RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 and JBOD arrays.

Thanks for the lead on good HW. I will look into that if I can't solve this.

• Legacy boot versus UEFI boot. maybe?

Can't answer question about "repairing" OMV installation as I've not studied that thread. But I believe omv-regen may do what you want.

Great question. I can't remember what I used in the production system install. I can tell you, in the test bed install, it ask me if I wanted to force UEFI install, and I opted for "Yes".

After extensive testing, I found the problem but not the root problem. For some reason when I turn off unused onboard MB devices to save power, that caused my problem. To fix the problem, I loaded the MB BIOS defaults. Once rebooted, all of my problems disappeared. My system is up and running just like the results I had on my test bed. You see, I never touched the test bed MB Bios when I setup everything. All worked. So, on a final desperate hunch, I loaded the defaults on my production rig and it worked. I swear, this is crazy! How can touching a BIOS for basic stuff like shutting off audio and/or limiting the CPU TDP to specifications cause my problem?!

The good news, I'm up and running again with the functionality I needed. ~Rob

• Legacy boot versus UEFI boot. maybe?

After extensive testing, I found the problem but not the root problem. For some reason when I turn off unused onboard MB devices to save power, that caused my problem. To fix the problem, I loaded the MB BIOS defaults. Once rebooted, all of my problems disappeared. My system is up and running just like the results I had on my test bed. You see, I never touched the test bed MB Bios when I setup everything. All worked. So, on a final desperate hunch, I loaded the defaults on my production rig and it worked. I swear, this is crazy! How can touching a BIOS for basic stuff like shutting off audio and/or limiting the CPU TDP to specifications cause my problem?!

The good news, I'm up and running again with the functionality I needed. ~Rob

• acuity2009

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!