OMV7 fails to install on Armbian 24.5

• I'm trying to install OMV7 on Armbian Bookworm, version 24.5 released a few days ago. I'm using the install script from Github but it ends with an error:

Errors were encountered while processing:

openmediavault

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

[2024-05-26 21:16:25+0200] [omvinstall] failed to install openmediavault package.

This is on a completely fresh install of Armbian, only the initial set up is done and the system has been moved to NVME. I have ran OMV7 before but on an Armbian release from late last year, that installed without any problems. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

The full log from the install attempt is attached.

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

The problem is that the SSH service does not exist on your system. How is that possible?

Zitat

Failed to preset unit, unit sshd.service does not exist.

/usr/bin/deb-systemd-helper: error: systemctl preset failed on sshd.service: No such file or directory

What is the output of

Bash
    # dpkg -l | grep ssh
    # systemctl list-unit-files | grep ssh
  • No I did all this through SSH so it was installed and enabled, I'm running a headless server. Right after I posted this question I found an answer in another forum from someone who had a similar problem, and that fixed it. What helped was creating a soft link like this:

Code
    sudo ln -s /lib/systemd/system/ssh.service /etc/systemd/system/sshd.service

I made a new fresh install of Armbian, typed in that command and after that the installation script ran through flawlessly. However after the first reboot I couldn't access the server through SSH anymore, "connection refused". But I could access the OMV web gui . It looked like SSH was enabled there but I disabled it and then enabled it again. After that SSH is working.

I've attached the outputs from the commands you mentioned if it's still of interest. I've only done what I described above, and enabled a few Samba shares on the server. I'm going to experiment more tonight and see so everything's working.

Maybe this is an Armbian problem?

• votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • votdev

Hat das Label OMV 7.x hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

What helped was creating a soft link like this

You shouldn't have to do that since the ssh.service file has an sshd.service alias BUT newer versions of systemd don't let you use the alias if the service is not enabled (running or not does not matter). So, I would guess your ssh.service was disabled and caused OMV issues.

$ systemctl cat ssh.service | grep Alias

Alias=sshd.service

I will have the install script make sure ssh.service is enabled.

Seems to me a bug in the Debian openssh-server package. or the Armbian image.

The postinst file should use ssh instead of sshd here - https://github.com/openmediava…nmediavault.postinst#L156

omv 7.4.2-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• But I was running all of this through a remote SSH terminal so the SSH service must have been running, right?

Would you suggest I remove the link alias and do something else? Everything seems to work fine now but could it cause problems in the future? When I run systemctl cat ssh.service | grep Alias i get the same response, Alias=sshd.service.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But I was running all of this through a remote SSH terminal so the SSH service must have been running, right?

As I mentioned, it does not matter if ssh was running or not. You can enable or disable a systemd service without starting or stopping a service. Being enabled just means the service starts on boot. systemd requires being enabled to create the link for the alias.

Would you suggest I remove the link alias and do something else? Everything seems to work fine now but could it cause problems in the future? When I run systemctl cat ssh.service | grep Alias i get the same response, Alias=sshd.service.

No need to remove it. Once the service is enabled, it will make sure the link exists anyway. I have installed on an orange pi 5 plus many times without this issue. I don't have any guesses what happened other than something happened when you moved to nvme.

omv 7.4.2-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have installed on an orange pi 5 plus many times without this issue.

Since I don't have one, that's what I was looking for.

Minimal.

Do you remember if you did updates and upgrades, before running the script? As in the following?

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade -y

• I'm not sure if this was mentioned, are you trying to log into the ssh server and can't or you can't log in with the username?

If the latter it's because that user is not in the ssh group.

On a fresh install once the gui is enabled the only account you can access via ssh is the root account.

• Since I don't have one, that's what I was looking for.

Do you remember if you did updates and upgrades, before running the script? As in the following?

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade -y

I think I did that while still running from the SD card once before installing to NVME with armbian-install, but I'm pretty sure no updates were found. I reused the same SD card without burning it again when I wiped the NVME and reinstalled.

• I'm not sure if this was mentioned, are you trying to log into the ssh server and can't or you can't log in with the username?

If the latter it's because that user is not in the ssh group.

On a fresh install once the gui is enabled the only account you can access via ssh is the root account.

I couldn't reach the SSH server at all, "Connection refused" was the error message I got in MobaXterm. I've ran into the problem with not being in the ssh group (or is it "_ssh"?) before so that was my first thought, but then I realized it's not that because I hadn't told the server my user name yet (and I double checked that the automatic log in feature of MobaXterm was disabled).

• I couldn't reach the SSH server at all, "Connection refused" was the error message I got in MobaXterm. I've ran into the problem with not being in the ssh group (or is it "_ssh"?) before so that was my first thought, but then I realized it's not that because I hadn't told the server my user name yet (and I double checked that the automatic log in feature of MobaXterm was disabled).

Might sound stupid are you sure the IP address is correct?

• Might sound stupid are you sure the IP address is correct?

Yes. It has a static address set in the router and I used the same window, only reconnected. As you can see above I found a solution and everything works fine now. It doesn't seem like anyone understands why SSH suddenly became disabled but I got it working.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It doesn't seem like anyone understands why SSH suddenly became disabled but I got it working.

Without a rebuild to confirm, the above not completely accurate. There's a process for building on Armbian Bookworm covered -> here. While there will always be exceptions to a general rule, there's no accounting for a near endless list of variables introduced by users, user locations versus software servers, differences in hardware platforms, LAN setup details, DNS issues, etc. However, if the build process is followed, it works 98% of the time.

On other hand, you're partially right. In the 2% exception cases, without being able to sit in front of a console connection logged in as root, it can be difficult to figure out what has gone wrong based on user describe symptoms.

• Without a rebuild to confirm, the above not completely accurate. There's a process for building on Armbian Bookworm covered -> here. While there will always be exceptions to a general rule, there's no accounting for a near endless list of variables introduced by users, user locations versus software servers, differences in hardware platforms, LAN setup details, DNS issues, etc. However, if the build process is followed, it works 98% of the time.

On other hand, you're partially right. In the 2% exception cases, without being able to sit in front of a console connection logged in as root, it can be difficult to figure out what has gone wrong based on user describe symptoms.

Yes, that's what I figured. I didn't mean it as criticism in any way. As you might have understood Linux is pretty new to me but I've already had a few other situations where something should work and is supported but just don't. I've managed to find solutions for most of these problems at least, it's part of the learning experience I guess.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!