Rsync just two folders, not whole shares

• Hello. So, using the rsync interface in OMV I can successfully sync one share to another. But can´t find a way to enter commands to sync just two specific folders in these two different shares. I see a box to enter options, but not to specify folders...is there a way?

Thanks!

• KM0201

Approved the thread.
    • New
    • Official Post

Just create two new shared folders that point to the exact directories you want. Then use those shared folders in rsync.

omv 7.4.0-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Just create two new shared folders that point to the exact directories you want. Then use those shared folders in rsync.

Ah, that sounds brilliant. I tried, but...

I set 2 shares: SyncHotMedia, encompassing the whole HotMedia drive/share, and a SyncDiscosOMV with the path SyncDiscosOMV/DiscosOMV/Media, so the HotMedia whole drive will sync with the folder Media inside DiscosOMV. I create the task as shown, then I add a new file to the HotMedia share, run the task in rsync...but nothing happens...what am I doing wrong? Guess I'm screwing some path...

Thanks!

• New
    • Official Post

Your hotmedia sharedfolder is not in either synchotmedia or syncdiscos. So, rsync will not find anything.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

• Your hotmedia sharedfolder is not in either synchotmedia or syncdiscos. So, rsync will not find anything.

Ok, modified some paths and now it´s officially stranger...rsrs...it´s probably something obvious that I´m just not seeing...

In the images you can see my setup. MediaHot folder is within SyncHotMedia share (/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-19de6083-4776-4cf0-b3d0-47bac1747d73/SyncHotMedia/MediaHot)

Setup to sync with the /DiscosOMV/Media folder within the SyncDiscosOMV share (/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-8befd096-016b-4c60-9e52-b7c023d0231a/SyncDiscosOMV/DiscosOMV/Media).

Setup is in the image. Archive and Recursive option checked.

Run the task, nothing...should work...but...nope!

I even tried CLI with this command but...nope!

rsync /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-19de6083-4776-4cf0-b3d0-47bac1747d73/SyncHotMedia/MediaHot /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-8befd096-016b-4c60-9e52-b7c023d0231a/SyncDiscosOMV/DiscosOMV/Media

also

rsync -aud /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-19de6083-4776-4cf0-b3d0-47bac1747d73/SyncHotMedia/MediaHot /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-8befd096-016b-4c60-9e52-b7c023d0231a/SyncDiscosOMV/DiscosOMV/Media

Can you see the problem? Thanks a lot...

• New
    • Official Post

How about instead of me figuring out what you are doing wrong, I tell you commands to try and these might help you understand what to setup.

Does the second rsync command copy testfile1 to the destination?

• I´ll work on it and get back to you...Thanks!

How about instead of me figuring out what you are doing wrong, I tell you commands to try and these might help you understand what to setup.

• New
    • Official Post

Yes, the second rsync copies testfile1 to the destination. If you run a third rsync, it won't do anything because testfile1 is already there.

• Yes, worked perfectly...now let me take the time to understand it in relation to what I did before and will come back with the evolution... I´m obviously still figuring out the file system...old dogs take longer to learn new tricks...

I´ll be back...

• Great. Now I (you) made it work. Lots of tests to do before felling confident as there are few oddities (to me) related to the file structure yet. But looking at your structure I realized the origin folder has to be the shared folder itself and not any subfolders. So I eliminated the folder inside my share at the share folder definition and now it works. Added a -delete option to the command and now they synchronize perfectly.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Andre

Yes, the second rsync copies testfile1 to the destination. If you run a third rsync, it won't do anything because testfile1 is already there.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!