System using too much Power / doesn't IDLE

• Hello Guys,

For some time now it seemed that my server has been using too much power...

Here is my setup:

Dell Poweredge T20
    8GB Ram
    Xeon 1245v3
    1x 1TB HDD
    2x 4TB HDD

I am getting around 42 Watt in IDLE State.

Others who have the exact same setup are reporting 15 - 20 Watt in IDLE.

I have noticed that in Powertop, the Package doesn't go into C6 state... Could this be the cause?

• I would rather check if your hard disks spin down correctly.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• It isn't. It will never spindown...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Do me the favor and check the load on a live system with data disks detached just to be sure that it is infact the CPU which doesn't cut power down properly.

Greetings
    David

• Do me the favor and check the load on a live system with data disks detached just to be sure that it is infact the CPU which doesn't cut power down properly.

Greetings
    David

Will do this shortly.

EDIT: The CPU Driver intel_pstate is the cause of this! I disabled it and used acpi-cpufreq and toggled all tuneables under Powertop to good. The package fell right into C7 state and the Power consumption dropped immediatley.

This is with the conservative govenor, trying powersave now!

EDIT EDIT: With the Data Drives spun down, CPU Driver set to acpi-cpufreq and governor set to powersave. The System now IDLEs at 25 Watt!

• Hi, can you please explain in more detail, what has been changed and how you did this?
    Is there any chance from the WEBGUI?
    I have roughly 50 Watts constantly and to me it looks like the disks do not spin down properly.

• maybe somebody else can help out.
    My 4x WD 3 TB Harddisks do not idle and shutdown.
    The system is on a separate disc.
    Further the system does not shutdown automaticly after a defined period with the auto shutdown plugin.

therefore my power consumption is nowhere near 20w but constantly around 50w.

What can be the reason for this?

• My crystal ball is in the dishwasher right now, so no clairvoyance today.

Enable the debug log for Autoshutdown and upload the full debug log on pastebin and link it here.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!