Panic or segfault in Samba

• Yes, still no luck. I even tried to take a spare good old Linksys WRT54GL with fresh NVRAM erase and settings as default as they could be and connected my Windows computers to that, but OMV was still not showing up. But all other Windows 7 computers on the network are being detected and I have like 4 or 5 of them. So we are back to Samba in my opinion.

• Workgroup is the same for all computers and Samba. Maybe let's just wait and see until next releases. Maybe some bug is discovered. As far as I know I am not the only one experiencing this issue. The shares work like a charm it is just that OMV is not being detected anymore by Windows computers in the Network section. As far as I remember it did not happen when I was enabling the WINS server and specifying the OMV address as a WINS server to DHCP clients in my router, but a few weeks after that and some updates to OMV and other updates. Maybe there was even a Samba update in between.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There was an update on Samba on Feb 19. CVE-2015-0240: Unauthenticated code execution attack on smbd file
    services

that's smbd not nmbd

Most of the time this problem either i solve it with workgroup or bringing down the firewall and AV in the windows clients. Nothing to important since i use more access by net drive than discovery.

• Just letting you know guys that Samba started to advertise itself again. Then it disappeared again, then it reappeared again. I am not able to reproduce this behavior.

• Neither am I. But I'm affected too.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• is it not a fight about which device has to become MasterBrowser?
    try to see with the command smbtree what has been broadcasted.
    I can remember that when devices do battle about becoming MasterBrowser that in some situations Windows cannot detect a device automatically.
    Long time ago I had a printserver causing devices not being detected correctly when it was turned on. In the end rebooting various devices in different order gave the solution.

5x HP Microserver Gen8, 4x with OMV. (3x OMV4 and 1x OMV5)

(Busy with migrating to 1 NAS) Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5 and Whale: 4x10TB UNIONFS with SNAPRAID

• is it not a fight about which device has to become MasterBrowser?
    try to see with the command smbtree what has been broadcasted.
    I can remember that when devices do battle about becoming MasterBrowser that in some situations Windows cannot detect a device automatically.
    Long time ago I had a printserver causing devices not being detected correctly when it was turned on. In the end rebooting various devices in different order gave the solution.

Will give it a try. I did notice that everything was working again once my local network had been down for some time. I was reconfiguring my router and as a result many devices where offline for longer time and then I added them back one by one and discovery was working properly again.

• Will give it a try. I did notice that everything was working again once my local network had been down for some time. I was reconfiguring my router and as a result many devices where offline for longer time and then I added them back one by one and discovery was working properly again.

What you describe seems indeed a battle between devices to become masterbrowser. And in some circumstances it can take up to 15 / 20 minutes before there is again a 'battle / negotiation'. But it will still not give a solution or answer why in some circumstances another masterbrowser is not broadcasting a certain device.

5x HP Microserver Gen8, 4x with OMV. (3x OMV4 and 1x OMV5)

(Busy with migrating to 1 NAS) Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5 and Whale: 4x10TB UNIONFS with SNAPRAID

• Hi,

even the thread is very old, I want to bring it back again.

After a reboot of my server I got informed about a "Panic or segfault in Samba" by omv with the following email:

So, as advised in the email I Installed the package "gdb". Now the error is gone. Did some reboots and the message didn't come up again. My SMART data is free of errors.

Any other suggestion?

Let's wait and see what happens.

Regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!