Home NAS based on N40L - need advice

• Hello,

I'm new here, and after few days of reading I feel that now I can ask some questions. But first the story.

Few days ago my Mac "informed me" that it will not be happy if I'll do another "vagrant up" on 128GB SSD. So I bought 256GB and I'll be moving soon.
    I have 1TB drive also inside this machine and that's where I had 100GB partition for Windows 8.1 and 128GB for Carbon Copy Cloner and rest for DATA (movies ETC).
    Now, when I have spare 128GB SSD I'll move Windows there and actually I can have free 1TB drive.
    Because I don't mind to have my Mac/Laptop/Whatever unoperative for 1/2/8 hours I don't need bootable CCC copy on internal disk (or just can Buy cheap, used 250/320GB SATA for this).
    That's where I started to think about NAS.
    Firstly I've checked that 2-disk Synology/Qnap can be bougt in Poland for around $170 w/o drives but I realy like to play with software/hardware than I started thinking about something more.

I found HP N40L with 4GB ram for $110 and I think that this will be best buy.

What I'm planning to do is to buy 3TB drive and use 1TB as a backup one.

On my Mac I just want to have 256GB SSD and use it for Work/Programming/Photo editing (PHP/Symfony and multiple Vagrant boxes on this SSD for speed+NFS and using PHPStorm IDE locally) + have CaptureONE (something like Aperture/Lightroom but IMO better) installed.
    Have additionaly a Windows 7 laptop, few android phones, iPad and planning to build OpenELEC HTPC in future.

• Now on 3TB drive I want to make a share for:
    • Mac Time Machine,
    • XBMC or just media Library (So Movies, TV Shows and Processed photos - mostly 3Mpix),
    • Capture One library (RAW format photos + metadata),
    • Documents for each Family Members
    • Itunes library,
    • Carbon Copy Cloner copy

Than I want to use 1TB "backup disk" to rsync (?) Time Machine data (for backup), Capture One Library (Raw) and Documents and Itunes. I don't mind to eventually lose Movies (no big deal so no backup there ;))
    I don't want to use RAID because - as i said - I wouldn't mind to be unoperational for few hours when restoring backup and IMO RAID1/5 for home use is overkill.

Now the questions.

• If in the "future" I'll need to add another drive can it be merged with existing one so for example Media Share (Movies/Tv Shows/Photos in it) can grow to this new disk as it would be whole 6TB space? Is this easy to add JBOD (?) combined drive on the fly or is it as complicated as growing RAID 5 Matrix? I just want to grow in small steps when I need
    • If answer for 1 is "Yes You can" combine new disks incrementally than if one fails I'll lose only it's data and rest is accesible?
    • What's the best approach on OMV to have centralized iTunes library (music) - just make a share and copy/paste library? Or maybe something centralized? Streamed? (iPad/Mac and even Windows will like it).
    • Does rsync is best approach to "cherry pick" things for backup on this 1TB? I need to make separate shares there or what's the advice?
    • Does my idea to not have RAID and just use one drive for backuping important data can work? (When 1TB will be to small I'll just insert bigger one for this purpose)
    • Does any share can be rsynced to backup drive (especially Time Machine may need some magic - rest is just files)
    • Does HP N40L suit my needs as described above?
    • Will such setup consume alot of power? (people reporting 30-35W avarage and it's OK IMO)

I think that's all for now.

• Long post, lol. You might get more responses if you summarize just a few important questions.

I do know that you can grow a RAID5 in OMV (although I have never tried doing so). I imagine it would be similar to re-building an array (when a hd fails), which I have done and can say that it worked fine for me and was easy to initiate but took the system a long time to complete.

I haven't used a mac in awhile but I expect you could just set an SMB share for your music library and iTunes should be able to access the share location from any apple device. Also having a RAID5 in addition to a separate 1TB drive on a single omv system is not a problem. Although the RAID5 would be more secure for important files than the single drive since a RAID5 has redundancy in case of drive failure.

Don't know anything about rsync...sorry

good luck ;)

• If in the "future" I'll need to add another drive can it be merged with existing one so for example Media Share (Movies/Tv Shows/Photos in it) can grow to this new disk as it would be whole 6TB space? Is this easy to add JBOD (?) combined drive on the fly or is it as complicated as growing RAID 5 Matrix? I just want to grow in small steps when I need

Yes, You can simply add other drives and share them via the WebGui with OMV.

If answer for 1 is "Yes You can" combine new disks incrementally than if one fails I'll lose only it's data and rest is accesible?

I you use them separately without any connection - absolutely, yes. However, I´d take a look at snapRaid (use forum search).

What's the best approach on OMV to have centralized iTunes library (music) - just make a share and copy/paste library? Or maybe something centralized? Streamed? (iPad/Mac and even Windows will like it).

I do not have my iTunes library on my NAS as this has some disadvantages (sync with iOS devices does not work). Streaming should work without any issues.

Does rsync is best approach to "cherry pick" things for backup on this 1TB? I need to make separate shares there or what's the advice?

I do it exactly the same way. I have almost everything on my RAID 5 and only use a 1TB external HDD for backing up my truely important data via rsync. Works flawlessly since months.

Does my idea to not have RAID and just use one drive for backuping important data can work? (When 1TB will be to small I'll just insert bigger one for this purpose)

Yes it works. The size depends on what you want to rsync from your 3TB drive, of course.

Does any share can be rsynced to backup drive (especially Time Machine may need some magic - rest is just files)

Sure.

Does HP N40L suit my needs as described above?

Absolutely. The N40L as well as the N54L (and the other models from HP microserver line) fit very good with OMV.

Will such setup consume alot of power? (people reporting 30-35W avarage and it's OK IMO)

That´s of course without any HDDs or while they are idle. Each HDD takes about 5 watts extra.

IMO RAID1/5 for home use is overkill.

While rebuilding a RAID 5 you still can work with your OMV. It is better to leave it alone just because of the chance to break a second HDD while rebuilding. And it is a bit slower than normal because of the rebuild.

• 1./2.: Use AuFS or mhdfs for that.
    4.: Yes, rsync is a good choice.
    5.: Yes, works.
    6.: USB-Backup Plugin
    7.: Yes

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!