[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up a new OMV, but I'm having some trouble with ZFS.

I have followed the tutorial in this thread, but when I want to install the omv-zfs plugin, I receive this error:

Any ideas what could be the problem?

• Could you try and remove both ZFS repos from the OMVextras page, then save. Next update the list of plugins and make sure that there are no ZFS plugin to choose. Finally re-enable the ZFS repos again and update the list of plugins. Not sure if this will help, but I have version 2.1.0 available here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What was wrong? It might help others.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi,

I am trying to access and share a freenas Zfs pool in omv using the zfs plugin.

I have imported the pool on the omv server and it is mounted.

I can see the pool in the File Systems tab, it shows the correct size and that it is mounted, but not referenced.

When I go to the ZFS tab I get a loading message followed by a communication failure error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

• Could you run the following command as root in CLI: zfs list -H -t all -o name,type and post the result here (unless it contains some sensitive data). I'm not sure what's wrong but it might be that there is a loop that doesn't terminate properly (for some unknown reason).

• The results below

root@openmediavault:/etc/nginx/sites-available# zfs list -H -t all -o name,type
    BackupPool filesystem
    BackupPool/Backups filesystem
    root@openmediavault:/etc/nginx/sites-available#

If I ftp to the server I can see the BackupPool directory in the root, all directories and files appear to be correct in sub-directories.

Could it be that there are 2 zfs in the list an I only have 1?

• Hello Forum,

I bought a HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8, Celeron G1610T, 4GB RAM with two 2GB HDs and a MicroSDCard for the OS. I followed the instructions for installing OMV and the ZFS extension. Now I want to create an RAID 1 encrypted Volumen with ZFS. I want to give the decryption password evertime the server starts. Currently I'm creating my first ZFS mirror RAID. Can someone give me a hint, how I can set the encryption in place?

Thanks

Peter

• Offizieller Beitrag

Encryption isn't part of the plugin (yet). You will have to do that manually (don't know how).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I would spend a little bit of time reading about encryption on ZFS. ZFS works best when it knows about the files and the physical medium on which they're stored. As soon as you add another layer, be it an encrypted container, or something else, ZFS loses a lot of it's benefits. I'm not sure if it makes it worse than a traditional file system so please do some research.

You can gain some of the benefits of encryption and retain all of the benefits of ZFS by using a file-based encryption overlay like encfs or ecryptfs. I believe the former has some weaknesses so the latter is what you'll probably want. Rather than encrypting the full disk, or a container of some kind, these encrypt individual files transparently. When you look at your filesystem normally, you'll see encrypted files and file names. When you then mount that mounted filesystem elsewhere with one of those tools, providing the passphrase, you'll see the unencrypted content. Unfortunately, file metadata is not encrypted, so ownership information, file sizes, access times, etc. are preserved while file data and file names are not. Additionally, both of these maintain the behavior of sparse files, so attackers can tell when and where contiguous blocks of zeros exist in encrypted files.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!