SSD testing

• Will someone tell me what program to download to test out a new SSD before I swap it out with my SATA drive currently running OMV to reinstall OMV on it? I cannot find if I should test it in OMV, or run another boot program from a USB to perform the test.

Thanks,

JIm

• What do you want to test if its a new drive ?(
    It should just run...
    If it doesn´t, you have your old SATA Drive, so there´s nothing to loose 8)

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• I thought I should run a diagnostics test of some kind before using it. It seems this is what others have done with storage dives before using them. I thought the same would apply with a new SSD. I guess I will simply swap it and reinstall. I have not gotten to the point of making any significant changes to the current install on the SATA drive. Thanks for the reply!

JIm

• Slide it in. It will work or not :D
    I am working for ages with HDDs and stuff. I never tested a *new* drive...
    Just thinking about our storage @work. Imaging, my boss is coming with around 25 new drives as cold spare and says "You gotta test ´em before you plug ´em in"
    I would fall laughing from my chair :P

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• Yeah I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense. I guess the idea stuck when I read about people on the forum running rigorous testing on SATA drives recently purchased to ensure they had a "good" drive that wasn't going to fail shortly down the road. I may head to the local computer store and pick up a 4TB drive instead of buying a mess of refurb drives online from a reputable distributor. I say this because although I am messing with a 500GB drive now to learn, I have decided to not use raid 5 until I know more. At this point I don't even think I will use LVM as I am not sure I need it.

I am working through setting up shares now. I have a 500GB SATA drive that I swapped out for an SSD, but now as I try to create a file system on it I cannot. I cannot wipe it using the physical disks tab either. Im sure there is some sort of block written to the device from when it was the OS disk. I am learning fast, but sometimes not fast enough! I am certain I read somewhere that another person had a similar problem. I am thinking there is a CLI solution... using rm or dd. I hope to someday be as adept with linux / omv and the CLI as the guru's on this forum. I will post here when I figure this out!

• Offizieller Beitrag

To wipe the drive:

Find the drive in the output of fdisk -l - will look like /dev/sdX
    Then: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1000

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks ryecoaaron. hmmm. I came back to post that I was able to do it in the GUI. I think I simply had it mounted and couldn't wipe it. I unmounted and was able to wipe. Should I also use fdisk as you said? Perhaps there still is some sort of write protection remaining, but it looks like the full volume is available. I was able to create a file system on it also.

• Usually on the manufacturer web support page there are diagnostic tools to test the drive.
    If you want to do some testing search for that tools.

Thanks I figured this, but I was thinking more of like a torture test to determine if all was well... I am thinking this is only needed for HDDs with moving parts / platters where they could have bad areas that might mess up a raid array.

jt

• Offizieller Beitrag

No need to use fdisk if it wiped it in the web interface.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Just thinking about our storage @work. Imaging, my boss is coming with around 25 new drives as cold spare and says "You gotta test ´em before you plug ´em in"
    I would fall laughing from my chair

You may be falling from your chair, others won't.

Source: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/alas-poor-stephen-is-dead/

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!