Posts by darkarn

I'd suggest you ask at the dockSTARTer community. This does not seems specific to OMV.

https://dockstarter.com/#support

Thanks, I asked as I wasn't sure if this is OMV + DockSTARTer specific, or just a general DockSTARTer "issue"

Seeing that the DockSTARTer docs mentioned that

DockSTARTer does not configure storage for you (you may use local storage, or cloud storage, multiple disks, raid, etc).

It sounds like it is working as designed; I am supposed to use overrides to "hard-configure" storage so that they can persist future compose runs.

Will put these links for future reference

https://dockstarter.com/overrides/introduction/

https://stackoverflow.com/ques…d-mount-and-managed-mount

https://devopsheaven.com/docke…es-in-docker-compose.html

EDIT: I managed to use overrides to override this issue. Marking this as resolved

Apparently all I needed to do was to reset the state tables in my router, or simply just restart the router. I don't recall needing to do this the last time I needed to set up VPN in my router though...

I'd agree with the long term solution. Bearing in mind that as far as I know, in omv 6 btrfs will be the only officially supported filesystem. I'm guessing Aaron will come up with a plugin to support ext4, etc. as he has others.

My plan is to backup and go full btrfs at that time, but I will probably continue to use symlinks just in case something like this ever happens again. Plus, it also just makes it was way easier to remember my paths for docker, and it was dead nuts simple to set up.

Whoa, if this is true, is it a good idea for me to make the switch right now? The new HDD in question is going through badblocks to test that it works; I can always switch it to BTRFS instead of EXT4 once this is done and start testing if this works with whatever apps I am using

Is the new HDD formatted as btrfs or ext4? btrfs should still recognize labels.. ext4 is the issue. So if it is blank you can try reformatting it as btrfs and see if that helps.

You could always go to symlinks, and then just make adjustments to your current docker containers.

Thanks! All of my HDDs, new and old, are formatted as EXT4. One of them was before 5.5.20 while the other was done after 5.5.20. This would mean that it is working as intended and therefore I should consider using symlinks like what you have already done.

As for BTRFS, this seems more like a long term solution for me as I do indeed want a more robust filesystem like ZFS but simply do not have the hardware for it just yet. Is BTRFS stable enough even for production? Last time I heard it is not recommended (ZFS was promoted as the more stable solution instead)

I am affected by this change too even though I don't use said USB enclosures

I have one SSD and two HDDs. The SSD is by id while the first HDD is by label. The new second HDD is by UUID no matter if I had a label or not. I wasted about an hour trying to figure out if I need to modify fstab or simply relabel/remount/reformat the HDD until I saw this

Looks like I'll have to keep things in this uneven manner?

I was adding more containers/apps via DockStarter when I realised that after composing, all my current apps' bind mounts got lost, which forced me to rebind everything again.

Is there a way to prevent this loss from future compose commands?

EDIT: I see that there is the override feature in DockStater that allows me to input custom environment variables (and have successfully used this for changing the UI of Transmission) (see: https://dockstarter.com/overrides/introduction/ ), but my question remains as I will like to know if there are better ways to do this

Hi, how should I configure a VPN for my OMV machine?

I tried doing this on the router but it did not connect to the VPN

I have taken a look at the OpenVPN plugin but am not sure how to use the ovpn files given by my VPN provider with the plugin

I understand that there are Docker containers for VPNs but I am not sure if these are only for other containers to connect to VPNs, or can they somehow route all traffic of the OMV machine to a VPN of my choice

Which direction should I take, and how should I do so?

I see only one "/sharedfolders/TEST" in container. OMV does not carer about path names inside the container.

Even on host it should be no issue, if your OS drive is large enough for the expected data.

Thank you, I was asking as I understood that in OMV4, these "/sharedfolders/[drive name]" are automatically created via the Shared Folders feature but got deprecated in OMV5 so wasn't sure if this is ok (i.e if this is just like doing the same thing as in OMV4 and thus potentially causing issues down the line).

My OS drive won't be large enough but these bind points are actually pointing to other drives that already have existing data on them

Hi, just to double confirm, will there be sharedfolders related issues if I use Portainer's bind mounting volume feature to create a folder named "sharedfolders/[drive name]" for only the Dockerized app's usage? That folder is pointed to one of the drives on the OMV host

The drives in question are still in their /srv/ naming convention, and there is nothing in the OMV host's sharedfolders due to this being a fresh OMV5 setup

I have currently done one such binding, but am waiting to confirm if I can do so for the rest of the drives and other Dockerized apps. I note that re-creating the Dockers with DockStarter did not remove the binds so far

Thanks!

Thank you all, I finally found some time to try these out, and whoa, DockStarter and Portainer make the transition way easier than expected (at least, on a test setup)!

I feel more confident at making the full transition to OMV5 now thanks to your guidance here :)

It is one thing to start with a fresh OMV5 setup with Docker, but it is another to transition from an already-working setup with plugins to a new OMV5 setup with Docker

I am specifically using transmission/bittorrent and duplicati plugins for OMV. This OMV setup is in a VirtualBox VM on my Windows machine (will transition to a proper baremetal machine once more parts get delivered etc). I will like to do the transition such that the settings and databases used by the plugins are transferred over properly into their Docker equivalents

I have these doubts that I want to clear before I begin the transition:
    1. Are there (text) guides showing differences/changes between OMV plugins and Docker? I want to know where the files from /etc/.config/ should be moved to

2. Are there good beginners guides for Docker, preferably with pictures/text?

3. I understand that generally it is ok to run Docker instances within a VM. But specifically to OMV, are there known issues arising from this?

4. Are there any performance impacts that I should be aware of?

5. Should I instead run these programs with Docker under Windows for now until I can run OVM5 with baremetal instead of VirtualBox?

6. What else should I take note of when making the transition?

Thanks!

Hi,

i`m sorry, I didn`t want to be rude. I was just wondering why I schould try it and they didn't want to try it for themselves.

all the best and no offense

It's not that I don't want to try, it's that I can't try it right now (am still making more space in my HDD so that I can spin up a test VM).

In fact, not everyone has the time/skill to test things out and some may simply want to confirm before testing so that they know if they are the ones making mistakes or if it turns out to be a known issue that needs to be fixed at the code level.

Making assumptions about others and phrasing things like this isn't going to earn you brownie points anywhere

Yes I tried this when moving from OMV 4 to 5 and it works.

Thanks! When you say you moved from OMV 4 to 5, is that an upgrade install over an exisiting OMV setup, or is that a new install?