Beiträge von claredad

Can you show a screen shot of the file systems screen?

As a bad workaround, you can install the sharerootfs plugin and share the directory /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-5848A60B225D9CB1 if you only need the shared folder temporarily.

Sorry about the delay Zoki. I was away for a little. Please see the image attached.

Ok, in this case, it should be relatively straight forward.

First, you must be sure that the drive is detected in the disks menu in OMV. You may have to hit the refresh button and maybe even reboot, if at all possible.

Then you must mount the file system on that drive in the corresponding menu. Then you can use it for a shared folder. Remember for sharing it, you must create a Shared Folder as well as an SMB or NFS share using the Shared Folder.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm with the steps you listed except the one to set up the shared folder. When I go to the device drop down, my external USB isn't present.

I've previously set up shared drives on internal drive like you described, and have never had an issue.

NTFS is only recommended for first time copy to NAS, if you want to use an external USB disk , better to format it like ext4, to avoid problems like you have.

Other way is to plug the disk on your windows PC, and copy data by SMB, and share it on your windows PC.

I originally used ext4, but got the exact same issue.

I worked around it by using the rsync command over SSH, but that's a once off sync, where as I'm hoping to set it up to do scheduled syncs in future.

If I understand you correctly, you want to share a folder from the drive on which OMV is installed. This is not allowed by default but you can do it by installing the "openmediavault-sharerootfs" plugin. Then the drive should appear as a choice.

Thanks for the response. Afraid that's not what I'm looking to do.

I have an external USB drive that is just for storage. I want to create a shared folder on that external drive. Hope that makes sense.

Hi all.

I'm I've connected my USB drive (formatted as NTFS) to by system.

I can mount the drive in the GUI (I've seen that mounting from the command line can cause issues).

When I go to create a shared folder using the GUI, my USB drive doesn't appear in the list of devices.

Am I doing something wrong?

Below is the output from my fstab. the device in question is /dev/disk/by-uuid/5848A60B225D9CB1

what would you use it for?

Seems a quite expensive storage option for a budget NAS.
    Also looking at energy consumption a DELL Optiplex doesn't look like the best option for running Home Assistant.

Did you measure energy consumption over a week or so?

Won't just be for downloads, also for running some VMs.

Problem I'm having at the moment is if I want to download big files of 60 GB etc, I just don't have the space.

I've been running the NAS for a while, so it's more a budget upgrade rather than build 😃

I have the 1TB and 6TB drives purchased, so it be any future purchases that will need to be budgeted for.

I haven't used an energy meter on it yet. Will do so and come back to you. Thanks for the advice.

Hi all.

Looking for some help.

I currently have a Dell Optiplex 7010 with four hard drives. A 128gb SSD (split in two partitions for OS and app data), as well as three 6TB NAS drives in a Mergerfs configuration for my storage.

I'm out of space on the storage, and purchased a new 6TB NAS drive to add it to the Mergerfs.

I need to add expansion to get the SATA connections for the new hard drive, but before i do this, I'm wondering if I'm going about this the right way.

I'm planning on moving me OS to a USB stick, and upgrading the SSD to a 1TB one.

I want to plan for the longer-term. I'll probably be adding more drives every year or so.

Any suggestions on what I should do long term? Should I invest in expansion of my Optiplex? Or go for something different in the long term? Unfortunately Im out of budget at the moment after buying the SSD and 6TB NAS drive.
    I currently use my server primarily as a media server with dockers for Emby, Sonarr, Radarr and Jackett.

My intention is to use it as an NVR also, as well as using it for Home Assistant. In an ideal world I'd also life to run something like pfsense as a VM.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Ya, think I have it. Thanks for the help.

And why not use a USB memory for OMV and the SSD drive for docker, KVM, etc? In this way you will have the S.O. separate from everything else. You can also easily make OMV backups if you need them.

Would it be considered best practice to use a USB rather than a partition on an SSD? Would there be any speed differences?

I would suggest to use clonezilla to clone the drive and then gparted to resize the partition.

But why do you need a larger OS drive?

Thanks Macom.

Poor choice of words on my side. I have my an SSD that has two partitions. One for OS and one for downloads.

I had intended to install proxmox and OMV within that, but when researching here saw that there is a plugin to allow me run VMs in OMV. So I'm going to be running a Windows VM from the larger SSD, and possibly some Linux distros like Qubes or TAILS.

Does that make sense, or am I talking rubbish 🙈

Small donations work well and are fine. While the software is free, there are costs associated with server hosting. (Like this forum, for example.)

I managed to set up a recurring payment on PayPal in addition to the one off payment. The small contribution is well worth it.

Looking forward to the 24 hours a day immediate support I'm now entitled to 🤣

If we helped, click here

What, so it's all a scam? Ye pretend to be nice, then smack me with a bill? 🤬

Only joking. Delighted to help, just disappointed that I can only afford something small. As I said the other day, one of the great things about OMV is the community and how helpful they are to everyone, regardless of skill level.

When I win the lottery I'll be making a much bigger donation!

I'm the mean time, do OMV have a Patreon page. I donate a little each month to pihole, and would be happy to make a recurring donation to OMV. Just a thought.

Thanks again.

Do it this way:

1. reconfigure calibre and nextcloud to not start on boot
    2. stop calibre and nextcloud so they do not write new files in the directory
    3. remove all files and directories from /srv/5ff... (you know what you are doing, right?)
    4. uncomment the mergerfs in fstab
    5. reboot or mount /srv/5ff
    6. check that /srv/5ff.. looks as expected
    7. restart calibre and nextcloud
    8. reconfigure calibre and nextcloud to start on boot again
    9. (veryfy last step by rebooting)

Thanks for that. For step 3, the folder is srv/5ff.../Ella. Do I delete everything in the Ella folder, or do I delete it he Ella folder too? Am I ok to delete via cloud commander, or should I use CLI?

It is not a volume, but a bind-mount of a directory, not that bad. But one needs to know how to merge that back into the original files or to waive them.

Fixing the clbre library should be easy, but what to do about Nextcloud/appdata_ocvdapl3c5pk ? Dut this directory was added yesterday at 20:15, maybe not worth the hassle of resoring.

I'm not concerned about Calibre. I have that on my laptop too.

So should I delete those folders, disable portainer and and calibre, uncomment the fstab, then reboot?

I guess this means, the mount point is not empty (when the filesystem is not mounted)

Below are the folders I see in the mount, even though the MergerFS is commented out. They all should have subfolders, but the only ones that do are the ones that are data folders related to dockers I have running on the OS (Nextcloud & Calibre). Does that mean anything?

After commenting out mergerfs and rebooting, I see the same list of folders on the mount point. So you're right, it seems to be a mergerfs issue. I'll raise a separate thread. Thanks for all your help, support and patience