Beiträge von MultiUser

It would make sense to use urbackup or a similar program if what you are looking for are versioned backups, etc., but if what you are looking for is a simple synchronization the approach is different.

I did something similar to what you just explained a while ago using robocopy. In the end I came to the conclusion that it is easier to use a synchronization program, as I said in post #2, it is what I do. I use Nextcloud to sync folders. The result is the same.

If you don't use Nextcloud and prefer a simpler application, I would use Syncthing, it can also be used on Windows.

But why did you decide to add more software to windows? what was the benefit over robocopy?

Thanks for the advices. Thanks to all that responded.

SOLVED:

What I figured out is that I can just use a batch file. It seems to be the cleanest setup for my particular use case.

For anyone that is interested in using a batch file to backup to OMV, I will explain the setup below.

STEP 1. Create the batch file. (Use notepad or Notepad++ and then change the .txt to .bat as needed and vice versa.)

(It can be located pretty much anywhere, but I would put it in a file location that you can remember.)

- I used the ROBOCOPY feature since it has the /PURGE option to keep my backup drive matching my source drive.

- - Research a little bit about batch file creation and the ROBOCOPY feature HERE: ROBOCOPY LINK

- You could probably use the XCOPY feature as and alternative, but it did not fit my use case.

- - Research its functionality HERE: XCOPY LINK

My Batch File named SYNC.bat looks like this:

Code
    @echo off
    ROBOCOPY "D:" \\10.20.1.100\share\ /S /E /MT:12 /DCOPY:DAT /COPY:DAT /PURGE /R:5 /W:5

To explain what is going on, basically it is just copying from SOURCE drive D: (which is a local disk in my pc) to DESTINATION drive X: which is my OMV drive.

Since the task scheduler doesn't play nice with the syntax " X: " or " X:\ " I had to put in the IP address of my OMV Server.

NOTE: Add the function PAUSE to the last line of the batch file and open it manually to debug the batch file if needed. BUT remember to remove the PAUSE function before using it in the Task Scheduler or it will run continuously forever.

FOR DEBUGGING ONLY:

Code
    @echo off
    ROBOCOPY "D:" \\10.20.1.100\share\ /S /E /MT:12 /DCOPY:DAT /COPY:DAT /PURGE /R:5 /W:5
    PAUSE

/S - Copies subdirectories. This option automatically excludes empty directories.

/E - Copies subdirectories. This option automatically includes empty directories.

/MT:12 - Use 12 Threads of my PC.

/DCOPY:DAT - Specifies what to copy in directories. The valid values for this option are:

D - Data

A - Attributes

T - Time stamps

/COPY:DAT - Specifies which file properties to copy. The valid values for this option are:

D - Data

A - Attributes

T - Time stamps

/PURGE - Deletes destination files and directories that no longer exist in the source.

/R:5 - Specifies the number of retries on failed copies.

/W:5 - Specifies the wait time between retries, in seconds.

STEP 2. Add it to the Task Scheduler

Type in: "Task Scheduler" in the Windows search box. Open it.

On the far right side, Or under the Action TAB click on "Create Basic Task"

Type in a name for your Task and give it a description if you want to.

Click Next>

Set the Trigger Frequency Daily.

Click Next>

Set a Start Day and Time, Set Recurring Time to 1 Day.

Set the Action to "Start a Program"

Click Next>

Browse to the batch file location and select it.

Click Next>

Click Finish. (Open Properties if you need to make more edits.)

Its is as easy as that.

It does run a bit slow if you use certain functions such as /Z OR /B in your batch file due to logging. But that is the jist of it.

Research all the functions using the links above to see which options work best for your use case.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Good Luck!

I have windows installed on my C drive like most people, and I have a second hard drive ( Drive D ) that I keep all my Blender and Animation files on. I would like to backup the D drive to an open media vault shared folder. My preference would be to use RSync pull on the OMV side if possible. So how do I set up the rsync server on the windows side?

OR is there another method to do the same task. Ideally it would backup every day.

Or if continuous backup doesnt affect my pc performance, that would be fine too.

I should note that the D drive is SSD and the OMV server is a RAID6 with 10 SSDs, so I dont think speed will be a problem, but you never know.

Thanks in advance.

280+ TB of storage..

I'm speechless...lol

haha, well go big or go home... idk....

I put 4 of them in my synology for the ultimate plex vault. the other 12 will be backups and in the supermicro, assuming I get it working. The HDDs are large like borderline on the form factor they wont fit in my lenovo 12 bay machines, the supermicro was a special buy just for them.

You want to download the whole internet?

yes.

Not enough information provided to offer an opinion.

yes i can format the drives in windows and they work on a usb to sata connection on a different pc. I cant partition anything that big with ext4 on windows so I was just gonna do it in omv. They are currently ntfs formatted but not showing in omv.

I just bought 16x 18TB EXOS drives and I cannot get them to be recognized on my new supemicro server. I was wondering if OMV supports HDDs that size? Or maybe I need to recheck all my connections?

I didnt mean to down "the community" or "unofficial extras"... i just meant that If the update is coming straight from OMV then I would feel comfortable that is it a safe DL to have on auto.

Its kinda like with ubuntu, I dont download the community maintained stuff, because the Ubuntu official stuff works just fine. That may not always be the case, but it has been my experience (limited though it may be)

Add whatever plugin you have installed to the list.

At the moment I dont have any plugins that I would want to include or exclude from an update. Like I was saying, I just do the updates that pop up on my dashboard as updates available.

What I should clarify is that I dont put a tick mark in the "Pre-release updates" or "Community-maintained updates" boxes on OMV bc I am honestly not sure what it does. :P

When I ran the omv extras code on putty the last few lines said. This was on a new build/install.

Code
    Get:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives  Translation-en
    Ign:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives  Translation-en
    Reading package lists... Done
    W: Failed to fetch http://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye/InRelease  Could                                              not resolve 'deb.debian.org'
    W: Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/debian-security/dists/bullseye-sec                                             urity/InRelease  Could not resolve 'security.debian.org'
    W: Failed to fetch http://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye-updates/InRelease                                               Could not resolve 'deb.debian.org'
    W: Failed to fetch https://openmediavault-plugin-developers.github.io/packages/d                                             ebian/dists/shaitan/InRelease  Could not resolve 'openmediavault-plugin-develope                                             rs.github.io'
    W: Failed to fetch https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye-backports/InRele                                             ase  Could not resolve 'deb.debian.org'
    W: Failed to fetch https://packages.openmediavault.org/public/dists/shaitan/InRe                                             lease  Could not resolve 'packages.openmediavault.org'
    W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used                                              instead.

Is this going to be a problem. Never seen this come up before.

I would like to have an option for Automatic Updates. Maybe not for all updates due to a possible critical failure... but more automatic updates bc there have been alot of updates pushed in the last month or so. It would be nice if they just were updated on their own.

I understand the following:

"OMV only installs security updates automatically, but everything else is not installed by intention because an update might cause a failure. This decision to install those updates must be on the user side."

Maybe have this as an option rather than hard coded. I tend to trust updates from omv. I wouldnt enable the community or unofficial extras updates, but just the omv upgrades at lease would be a nice option.

What you are asking for is impossible in my opinion especially when I am a horrible teacher.

aww... cmon man, you aren't that bad. lol .. nah really though you are pretty good at teaching or trying to teach those who don't want to be taught. Like you said:

Many noobs are noobs because they don't want to learn more and just want answers.

And that is the key right there.

You try to guide people to the answers by letting them find the answers themselves. That is actually a great teacher methodology.

IFF you had the correct pupils. IF only...

I am willing to put in the time and learn because I enjoy it. Now do I like having an answer served up to me on a silver platter.. sure who doesn't. But at the same time I will take the notes you give me and run with them also.

As in the case of SMB though. I feel as though I have hit a wall. Ive googled and forumed to death. This is one of those cases where I would just like to be spoon-fed an answer.haha I will be more than happy to tell you every single piece of hardware in my personal LAN OR any other info to help give you "full access" if that is even possible remotely. If it isn't possible, I will keep on keeping on just without my goals being met unfortunately.

But the point I was trying to make is that you actually are a good teacher. And we are lucky that we have you. And we are lucky that you are so interactive/active in the forums.

Lastly.. and oddly enough I may or may not have not looked at the "guides forum or omv wiki or omv-extras wiki".... Well I dont know if I have. I have looked at so many pages on SMB and OMV it has all kinda turned to mush between my ears at this point. I couldn't tell you what I have and have not looked at specifically. It would be a long list though. Maybe I should get back to basics and start over in my quest to conquer 10GBe SMB instead of going to the farthest of reaches or the most exotic answer selections. In my experience the answer is the most obvious one or it is staring you in the face.

You can blame OMV all you want but

Im not blaming OMV, just questioning it.

between most OMV users only having gigabit and them being noobs, you are unlikely to get what you want.

This is true, shouldn't the forum try to bridge the gap though. you have guys like you aaron and BernH that seem to be on a whole other level. and then you have the omv "noob" community. your word not mine. Anyway, if there were a way to get everyone on some middleground like not noobs but maybe not experts either... but just intermediate users. I think this could be possible with the proper tutorials and/ the like. IDK just thinking out loud here.

@BernH your two lines of code seemed to help a good bit when run by themselves.

I dont need any of the options I had before it seems. Those are below:

Code
    protocol = SMB3
    min receivefile size = 65536
    write cache size = 524288
    use sendfile = true
    aio read size = 262144
    aio write size = 262144
    getwd cache = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
    read raw = yes
    write raw = yes

Using just the two lines you provided jumped me from 300MB/s-400MB/s closer to 375MB/s-415MB/s and even bouncing up to 603MB/s for a split second. So I am grateful to know there are more settings out there that can have a significant impovement on speeds. Yet, I am still just as confused as ever on what else to add to get me to a full 10GB transfer. But we are slowly getting there I think.

Code
    server multi channel support = yes
    interfaces = 192.168.1.42;speed=10000000000           (adjust ip address to your server ip.)