OpenMediaVault 0.6 Where are we going !

• The backend itself is done. The jump to 0.6 shouldn't be that hard, as Volker said before that 4 months (a while ago) is enough time to port to wheezy. Some guys already tested to upgrade 0.5 to wheezy and it seems that there are only a couple of packages that need be taken care of. Also Volker needs to check that all newer versions of samba/ftp/nfs etc. will still work with the settings that are generated by the GUI!

For now Volker still seems to work on bugfixes for owncloud and some minor additions to the storage backend.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Nice, I think 0.6 will be the biggest jump in technology as its finally going Debian wheezy and will allow for lots of new plugin additions due to its new back end storage system.

• In the first posts of this thread I read about dropping 32-bit support for 0.6. I am one that is wondering why newer desktop operating systems (like Windows 8.x, for instance) are still supporting 32-bits and I certainly choose 64-bit OSes and software whenever possible, however I think the situation is a bit different for an OS like OMV.
    I mean, I'm using an old Pentium III (32-bit only processor) with 512 MB RAM to successfully run a home NAS with old hardware. The system works GREAT, even from a performance point of view (at least for what the system is used for, mainly as an audio-video home storage solution).

Since the underlying Debian system does still support 32-bit and OMV is made up of architecture independent scripts, I think that providing 32-bit ISOs at release time shouldn't be a big deal. The beta test phase may be done on 64-bit only, that's sure.

Just my 2-cents.

Mauro.

• Zitat von "mauromol"

In the first posts of this thread I read about dropping 32-bit support for 0.6. I am one that is wondering why newer desktop operating systems (like Windows 8.x, for instance) are still supporting 32-bits [...]

Did you check about Windows Server 2012? It dropped 32bit support completely!

Zitat von "mauromol"

I mean, I'm using an old Pentium III (32-bit only processor) with 512 MB RAM to successfully run a home NAS with old hardware. The system works GREAT, even from a performance point of view (at least for what the system is used for, mainly as an audio-video home storage solution).

Even if OMV drops the support for 32bit, which would only mean that it drops the support to distribute an additional iso for 32bit, you could still install debian from scratch with the netinstall iso and install OMV afterwards via the package repositories!

Zitat von "mauromol"

Since the underlying Debian system does still support 32-bit and OMV is made up of architecture independent scripts, I think that providing 32-bit ISOs at release time shouldn't be a big deal. The beta test phase may be done on 64-bit only, that's sure.

Just my 2-cents.

Mauro.

See above. It is work that Volker has to do and which is slowing down the releasing process if he has to provide two, or even three isos, if you think about arm.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Even if OMV drops the support for 32bit, which would only mean that it drops the support to distribute an additional iso for 32bit, you could still install debian from scratch with the netinstall iso and install OMV afterwards via the package repositories!

This is an important point David makes here. People would still be able to install OMV from repos. As David says they would just install 32 bit Wheezy (*note by David: of course this only applies for the upcoming omv 0.6! no version is yet ready to be installed onto wheezy!) 1st, or upgrade to it, then install OMV from repos. I think the overall decision should be made by how much time it actually takes Volker to produce the 32 bit ISOs.

• It it were only a 64-bit ISO, but a good wiki page that guides you to install OMV on top of a 32-bit Debian wheezy, that would be perfectly fine for me.

However, I do not think it's just to install OMV packages on top of plain Debian, because I guess some changes on the default Debian configuration might be needed to suit OMV needs.

• -> FACK
    Unfortunately, most do not understand the Principle and the unique Advantages of ZFS :(
    For German User a good Webcast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knKedtlCsa8

• Please, try this:

Zitat

OpenZFS was announced in September 2013 as the truly open source successor to the ZFS project. Our community brings together developers from the illumos, FreeBSD, Linux, and OS X platforms, and a wide range of companies that build products on top of OpenZFS.

:arrow: http://open-zfs.org

• Hi all,

Just wanted to chime in on this topic..

I use OMV at home and I think it's a great solution for home users - at present. I would like to point out, that when I download the 32-bit ISO it is because my home setup uses an Atom sat in an ITX and not because I am unsure if the amd64 ISO is what I need. Maybe to solve this problem, the ISOs could be renamed simply with "32-bit" and "64-bit" suffixes to see if the download behaviors change? I realise that OMV can be installed on a Debian system - but some don't. If the 32-bit ISO is to be removed for the next release, there should be clear instructions for the users who are not sure what to do. This way, it will keep faithful followers from wondering elsewhere believing that this project dropped support for them. OMV is presently a home solution, so we can't forget how home users think ;)

OMV has a hell of a lot going for it. It's Debain based for starters which means... filesystem choice, package choice, HARDWARE SUPPORT! - and who doesn't love Debian? ;) I like the fact that OMV can be installed on top of an existing Debian installation with no effort. Try asking the two FreeBSD alternatives how to install their solutions on an existing FreeBSD install and you will get the answer "Why would you want to do that? Get real!". Well, like others here, I like GUIs :) Another plus point for OMV being Debain is ARM support... Whilst the Pi might not be quite what some are after in a NAS, there are a couple of others like the Cubietruck and the ODROID-XU which show massive potential for low cost NAS boxes. Both have gigabit Ethernet with the Cubie having a SATA port and the ODROID having USB3. FreeBSD for ARM is doesn't support Ethernet on either the last time I checked.

That said... I also agree with those who have said that ZFS should be a core component of the project and that the 64-bit ISO is the way forward - purely to benefit the business environments. At home my focus is on low power so my NAS is an Atom (soon to be ARM) with no RAID - my media center files are synced with an offline backup every week whilst critical data (family photos and videos) is sent to the cloud instantly - thus rendering ZFS useless when it comes to my home setup but it would be great to have OMV recognised as a feasible solution in small to medium business environments and I do think as others have said that this is the key item that would raise OMV in terms of it's competitors - this in turn will attract devs.

Just my opinions on the subject :)

• Yes it's 32-bit, it's an N270. See http://www.bcmcom.com/bcm_product_mx945gse.htm

Before that I used a Fujitsu V5155 with T2130 which is also 32-bit.

The point I am trying to make is that because OMV is currently a home users solution, 32-bit systems may still be used. I am not saying that a 32-bit ISO MUST be available- just pointing out that 32-bit users still exist and having a 32-bit install guide would take little effort.

• Well, however it's quite unusual that you are using a so specific netbook processor for a NAS box ;)
    I think the great majority of home users today (including most of those with an Atom) do have a 64-bit processor, although often running a 32-bit OS.

Anyway, I do agree that having the possibility to have a 32-bit version of OMV in some (not too cumbersome) way would be nice, since I'm using it on an old Pentium III, as you can read before.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think the biggest group of i386 users is the pre-64 bit Pentium4 (power hog) users. They are common and cheap.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!