openmediavault-ldap Plug-in without Domain?

• Hello,

Can I use the Plug-in "openmediavault-ldap" to import users from a Windows computer (to access to its local directory)?
    This computer is not member of a Domain, I use it with the default settings (group "WORKGROUP").

Thanks,
    Chris

• Thanks for you help donh, it's a good tutorial.
    I run my OVM at home, and if I understand correctly, I have to create a Domain (with a Windows Server) and all my computers need to be member of it.

If I can't create a Domain, are there a way to import my current local user accounts from my Windows to OMV?

Thanks,
    Chris

• LDAP is very useful in big environments, I oftenly use it on my job to query users from AD servers or mail addresses from Lotus Notes servers and so on. But IMHO it doesn't make sense to raise a Windows server to have a LDAP source for using it with the plug-in.
    On the other side it is possible to migrate users from a workgroup to a domain, but you have to use tools like CSVDE or LDIFDE on a server and this is no easy going.Lots of testing need to be done until the import file is well formatted and acceptable for these tools.
    How many users do you want to migrate? On a home system I would add them manually.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Yes datadigger, it doesn't make sense to raise a Windows server to have a LDAP source!
    I run my OMV at home, 4 accounts only, it would have been fine to manage sharing rights with Windows accounts.

Is it possible to join a Windows Client to a Linux Directory?
    I think no, I've checked on the Web and I've found informations about to join a Linux Client to Windows AD only.
    I don't think Microsoft allows that for commercial reason!

About CSVDE or LDIFDE, I think they are AD tools, thus I'll need to buy and build a Windows Server... too much expensive for a home use!

But I'm going to use this post to ask some informations... I use an old Dell Precision 380 as OVM server, with 8GB RAM, if I find a solution to build a Windows Server (could be a 2003R2 SP3) to have an AD, can I install and run the Windows Server and OMV Server as VM vith ESXi (or Proxmox) on this Dell Precision 380?

Thanks all for your help :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am running OMV on Proxmox on two machines (one is a school of 200 students). It is very stable and faster than the Win2k8 hyper-v VM it replaced (using virtio).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "chrbar"

Is it possible to join a Windows Client to a Linux Directory?
    I think no, I've checked on the Web and I've found informations about to join a Linux Client to Windows AD only.
    I don't think Microsoft allows that for commercial reason!

A Linux directory service directly comparable to MS AD simply does not exist. The directory service on modern *nix networks is LDAP, which replaced YP (Yellow Pages, very old) and NIS and it is possible to have MS products as well as *nix systems included. The only directory service somehow comparable to MS AD I know about is Novell's NDS (Or eDirectory since a few years). I've been dedicated to Novell for about 10 years and I liked it very much, but Novell lost the battle for leadership on the network market, sad but true.
    So if you like to deal with LDAP I would recomment to use OpenLDAP server, this is the reference software for all LDAP usage because of it's strict implementation of the LDAP protocol. There are versions for windows an *nix versions available.

Zitat von "chrbar"

About CSVDE or LDIFDE, I think they are AD tools, thus I'll need to buy and build a Windows Server... too much expensive for a home use!

Yes they are AD tools, available on the resource kits separately sold for older MS server products. I guess they are available on the web now.

Zitat von "chrbar"

But I'm going to use this post to ask some informations... I use an old Dell Precision 380 as OVM server, with 8GB RAM, if I find a solution to build a Windows Server (could be a 2003R2 SP3) to have an AD, can I install and run the Windows Server and OMV Server as VM vith ESXi (or Proxmox) on this Dell Precision 380?

Why not if you do not expect too much performance. A W2K3 server does not need that much power for basic operations.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "datadigger"

A Linux directory service directly comparable to MS AD simply does not exist.

Not true. Samba4 can be an AD domain controller. You can even use MS tools to administrate it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Not true. Samba4 can be an AD domain controller. You can even use MS tools to administrate it.

That's right. I didn't know about the capabilities auf Samba 4 because it is pretty new. But it sounds interesting.

• Offizieller Beitrag

samba4 in wheezy is old (4.0beta2) since 4.1.4 is out. Volker should create his own package if he is going to use samba4.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!