Server vs Desktop

• Hello everyone, this is my first post. I apologize if my English is not perfect. I'm already using a nas with openmediavault installed by me. I just love it and I would like to turn now to an even better system.
    First of all I post a photo to show you the result i'd like to reach.

A mid tower case with 9 exposed 5.25 inches slots populated by 3x 3x5.25 to 5x3.5 hdd ages for a total of 15 hard drives.
    At the moment I have two motherboards that I could use for this new project.

• Desktop ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe Wi-Fi edition, CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+, 4x2GB DDR2 800 MHz in dual channel (support for ECC memories also)[/*]
    • Server HP ProLiant ML110 G5, CPU Intel Xeon 3065, 4x2GB DDR2 ECC 800 MHz in dual channel.[/*]

Which of these two motherboards you think it is best to realize my project?
    How can I reach the number of 15 sata ports?
    The hardware raid does not interest me.

Thank you very much.

• Thanks for the tip. What is your opinion about the questions that I did?
    Do you think I should edit the post by inserting the features (chipset, number of sata ports, number and type of pciex and pci slots) of the motherboard?

• Can you give me more details about the case and the hotswap hdd cases ?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Can you give me more details about the case and the hotswap hdd cases ?

Greetings
    David

Case is a Nexus Prominent 9 and the hotswap hdd cages are 3 Norco SS-500.

• Thanks, will have a closer look at it later.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Zitat von "Kianuchi"

Which of these two motherboards you think it is best to realize my project?

Well, it depends. What do you want to run on it, home or company use. lots of clients and so on. For home use both mobo's should be sufficient to run the system without hiccups, even with some plugins running.
    I would take the mobo consuming less power and this is IMHO the ASUS board. Server boards are usually not known for low power consumption.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could put the three cages in an Antec 900 as well. Might be easier to get.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I love the look of the case with the drive bays in the picture I would be proud to have that as my Nas filled with 3tb or 4tb drives (druels)

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• Hello! Despite the Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe is a great motherboard, I have decided that I will start to use first the ProLiant ML110 G5 server motherboard. Simply becuase I think they are more reliable. The motherboard has an internal USB female connector that i will use, via a sata to usb adapter, for the sistem disk. There are also 6 SATA II connectors and in this way I can get to 7 hard drives. There are also 4 expansion slots: 1 PCIex 1x populated with an Intel Gigabit NIC, 1 PCIex 1x populated with another Intel Gigabit NIC, a free PCIex 8x and a free PCI 32bit 33MHz 3.3V.
    Now, which is the best solution to add 8 more sata ports? Thank You

• Had a look at those norco 500. 135$ ? So thats the price for 5bay hotswap... Also you most likely have to mod your case to remove the drive holder tongues.

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Just want to back what Aaron said, if you can't get your hands on the Nexus case the Antec 900 would be a good substitute.

Yes, there are a "lot" of mid tower whit 9x5,25 bays but I really dont'like the windowed side panel of the Antec 900... maybe for a full modded desktop... but not for my NAS.

Zitat von "davidh2k"

Had a look at those norco 500. 135$ ? So thats the price for 5bay hotswap... Also you most likely have to mod your case to remove the drive holder tongues.
    Greetings
    David

I found them at 89,99$ each but I'm still searching and evaluating other solutions and other makes and or models. I'm ready to mod all the necessary to fit all my specs for this NAS.

Greetings

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "Kianuchi"

Yes, there are a "lot" of mid tower whit 9x5,25 bays but I really dont'like the windowed side panel of the Antec 900... maybe for a full modded desktop... but not for my NAS.

I'm not a window fan either but the 200 mm fan in the top moves a lot of air with little noise. Important if you have 15 drives tightly spaced in those hot swaps. As for mid-towers with 9 bays, I didn't find many especially in the 900's price range. That is why I suggested it :) No tabs to modify to get the cages in either.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

You could put the three cages in an Antec 900 as well. Might be easier to get.

I'm actually using an older Antec 900 for my build that I'm working on right now.

Great case.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!