Adopting a different OMV approach

• Hi OMV dev team and users!

First of all I would like to say that I love OMV :P and that with the following comments I don't want to demand anything, I just want to explain my point of view.

(also excuse my english if I write something incorrectly…)

OMV is a great storage solution, but the community is not very big, 488 registered users, and few developers (I haven't count them, but the bug tracker is conquered by Votdev hehehe ).
    Having a larger community, would (probably) mean + developers helping you with all your work, fixing issues and adding features.

From my user perspective, I think that in order to grow, you need more features… more plugins, such as owncloud, sickbeard + sabnzbd + couch potato, crash plan…. those kind of features to make OMV more "famous" or "known" (I don't know how to say it but I thing you get the point :D)… At the same time, this would bring more developers to help you improving the system.

I'm seeing my friends going directly to Synology just because the management system, even If I show them OMV. Of course this is not comparable since they do it for money and they have paid people working just to make it better, but even if it's not comparable, I think that OMV is as good as Synology's DSM, but with less features, and MORE possibilities (and also less expensive :lol: ).

If you also dedicate some time to create some basic plugin samples… It would be a lot easier for those (like me) who pretend to contribute. I'm right now starting to learn PHP+JSON+Javascript… but it will take some time before I can help :P

Please, do not take this as offense or as a demand… I know that you are currently focusing on polishing the core to make it rock solid, and that you do this just to contribute in your spare time.

Sadly, I'm not a programmer, and the only thing I can do for now is to provide ideas and my "user" point of view.

Of course, this comment is useless if your "Road Map" or end goal is to keep it in a small "family" of developers, or if you have a different plan for OMV.

Thank you for reading!!!

All glory to the hypnoto... OpenMediaVault!!!

• Hi,

Can just agreed with you.

First of all, these are some reflections and thinking that does not criticism the wonderfull job already done by Volker and Marcel. OMV is a great software and I wish it can have the longuest life it can have. I worked with Marcel, at my level, to develop and test the omv-plugins.org ones, done pratically all the French translations of OMV and all the plugins, and I know how it can be some time consuming, almost if you have one family to live with ;)
    But here are, for me (and probably my needs), the way to go for OMV to be a REAL NAS solution as it can/should be in the near future...

With some "killer" core and/or plugins that are missing today, OMV can easily be a first class NAS. Unfortunatly, as you said, it's a little difficult at the moment to write some, even if you're used to be a java dev like me !

Personnaly, I think it missed a real internal Web File browser, to let people that can't have a FTP/CIFS/SMB access to their NAS using it through the internet (e.g. from works and so on...). The idea here is to put something like eXtplorer in the core of OMV. The code of eXtplorer is already PHP and just need to be updated to take OMV user rights system. Volker, if you read me, please, take a moment to think at it ;)
    We need a tree view to navigate, a files window to make some actions like coping/pasting, drag & droping files between dirs, and the ability to upload/download a set of file with zip compression through HTTPS over the internet.
    For me, this MUST be in OMV core, and not delegated to a plugin as it's a necessary app for any NAS nowadays.

Secondly, a good DLNA server solution would help getting all the home users. Today, allmost all NAS are build to deliver Musics/Photos/Vidéos, so the DLNA server is the center application.
    I think that MiniDLNA is a good start and does the job simply (essential), but IMO, needs to be develop to be a killer Home server app. I was thinking of moving the database background of Minidlna to mySQL (manage to do it with the structure and datas from sqlite very easily) to let other app search/modify the metadatas of medias (internet search and completing, etc...), but unfortunatly my C knowledge left me 15 years ago :)
    Anyway, once more here, the key thing is to find a C developper to extend/modify the source code of miniDLNA to let it be more database independant. I looked at it and clearly see what needs to be done (by comparing it to Mediatomb code which is really database independant), and it's not very complicated, but clearly don't have the C knowledge :(

At the end, a good backup solution can be added by a CrashPlan or BackupPC plugin, to backup your home computers.

With that, you will have a solid ready to go NAS for 90% of the home users... but OMV needs more devs, clearly!

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups

Powered by OMV v5.6.26 & Linux kernel 5.10.x

• Zitat von "XoN"

From my user perspective, I think that in order to grow, you need more features… more plugins, such as owncloud, sickbeard + sabnzbd + couch potato, crash plan…. those kind of features to make OMV more "famous" or "known" (I don't know how to say it but I thing you get the point :D)… At the same time, this would bring more developers to help you improving the system.

Sorry to barge in on this very important topic, being new to the forum and all, but I have to share some thoughts.

As a start-up project or business, consider the extremely limited resources you have (money, time, experience, people) and the limitations of the choices you can make to use these resources. Most start-ups I have seen have failed miserably because they were externally focused, trying to have either a better product, a better price, or both vs. another mature product. It is impossible to compete directly with the bigger companies or projects already established in the same industry or service; they already have a well developed base to build on, more resources, and they are a lot more cost-effective.

It is tempting, but it's very, very wrong to not define some initial boundaries for what you want to do. Don't spread your resources thin by trying to incorporate many additional features. Most of them are not mission-critical, but just "nice to have". On the other hand, the constraint of available resources to create all these features means the product will not excel at any of them. And that, kind sir, is a lot of wasted energy into a product which fails to meet basic requirements of ANY user.

The start-up should be internally focused: define what you stand for and make the best out of it with what you have. Do just a few things at first, and do them well. Be recognized for creating a specialized tool which is THE most efficient and powerful at that particular thing. Grow a community of fans and supporters and outsource everything which is not critical for the product core, allowing others to bring in enhancements through plug-ins. When you have a solid core that will support your growth, start expanding to new features - maybe incorporate some of the additional functionality developed and matured by others into your core.

I got stuck with OMV for 4 simple reasons:
    1) Cost efficiency. Why buy an expensive NAS with mediocre performance or a VERY expensive NAS with decent performance, when I already have some available hardware and just need the software to make it work?
    2) Speed. OMV is by far the highest performance NAS software I have tried.
    3) Ease of use. I'm not afraid of a command prompt, but if it can be done a lot faster with a few clicks in a good web UI, why not?
    4) Reliability. I want the piece of mind that a crash will not make my data disappear. I've read enough horror stories from various dedicated NAS machines (even Synology) which lost data partitions or couldn't rebuild the RAID or it took a few days to rebuild a replaced hard drive, or from FreeNAS whose flaky reliability practically requires you to have a full backup of everything on the NAS.

Universal access? Sure, that would be nice... But then, 99.95% of the time I use the NAS from the local network. When I travel, I either carry the necessary data with me on a stick, or store it in the cloud, or even access my home computer remotely. And for that 0.05% of the time when I might actually need a file off the NAS, I can securely FTP in on a high non-standard port. And that's just an example.

It's a no-brainer that I would definitely like more features :) But they will come in time, as the product develops. I've seen this course of action with SmoothWall, a dedicated software router solution.

What the community CAN do to help is to spread the word. Use OMV, show its strengths, showcase it on blogs, create some buzz. People WILL come.

Thanks for reading :) Greetings and all the best to the OMV team!

• Zitat von "puterfixer"

Sorry to barge in on this very important topic, being new to the forum and all, but I have to share some thoughts.
    .../...
    What the community CAN do to help is to spread the word. Use OMV, show its strengths, showcase it on blogs, create some buzz. People WILL come.

+1 I fully share your point.

Offering more features based on plugg-ins... why not if time to develop, test and deploy it is not taken on time required to ensure that OMV as "storage platform" is as reliable and efficient as it can be :)
    Doing more than what is tightly linked to storage itself is very risky because you will always find here and there different views about what could/should be the best solution for "cloud" (I really don't like this word :evil: ) or web interface for file management, or webmin like approach ... while there is still room for improvement looking only at storage features like SAN, NAS, redundancy, backup...

I do understand that without new features from time to time, this is difficult to attract new users but reliability is really the first goal, then efficiency (performance) then administration easiness.
    As puterfixer wrote, IMHO other features will follow later.

• Hi all,

It's been a long time since I went here. I now visit from time to time where I was visiting each day in the last few month.
    Just add 2 cts here because when I now read the forum, I can only see people having problem because of plugin non ported, and so long...

Believe me, I love OMV, but it simply missed some "core" feature to be a real alternative to other NAS system manufacturer.
    I'm a lead system & network computer person since 20 years, and clearly, love spending my time to find solutions to computers problems, but most of people just want their NAS to work simply, without allways tuning or tweaking it.
    When you spend 1 hour to configure minidlna to have a correct DLNA solution, or spend hours to manage redondant storage/backup, torrents, etc... (put there what you want), we're clearly missing the target.

I know that developping plug-in is not an easy way to go with OMV, and IMO, it's probably here that the problem is. Marcel did (do?) a great work, but clearly we missed some devs at this point to secure/update the plugins that already exists. I know it's time consuming (I use to test/validate the greyhole plugin and believe me, it takes time), but something needs to be done if you don't want OMV to be more than a PHP GUI to debian.

If OMV is said to be entreprise targeting, ok, you should have a person to manage it, tune it...
    If OMV is said to be home targeting, clearly, most of us prefer spending their time to other things... (most ;) )

Well, I still continue to follow and support OMV, don't get me wrong (Volker, love your work, believe me), but I cannot help thinking that we are missing something here.

ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

Powered by OMV v5.6.26 & Linux kernel 5.10.x

• We are missing more Ian Moore's. I think one of the best things that could be done would be some documentation on making a plugin. A developer should not have to spend an inordinate amount of time in order to add their project into omv. Also, perhaps we as a group are failing in reaching out to other developers to ask for help. Has anyone contacted a developer of the program that they would like to see added as a plugin? Volker is not the problem. I think it is the community that needs to do more at this point. In all the social media today we can do more there alone to promote OMV.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Has anyone contacted a developer of the program that they would like to see added as a plugin? Volker is not the problem. I think it is the community that needs to do more at this point. In all the social media today we can do more there alone to bring more attention to OMV.

I can only speak for myself and a little bit for Marcel as we were developing the Greyhole pluging together.
    When we ask Gauillaume BOUDREAU some help for Greyhole, he just answers quick and sharp and that was very helpful. He also added some features we needed! But he doesn't want to spend time on the plugin, as he surely have to fix/update some stuff on the Greyhole core, or what else he wanted to do.
    That's a point of view I can clearly understand, and that I think most of the "core" apps dev will go.

Second exemple, I was planing to improve the minidlna plugin to be more integrated with OMV. Ask some help on miniDLNA forums to devs, but nver get a single response! That the way life goes...

So we have to do it ourself, the best way we can, but clearly, plugin aren't easy to write and update...