wd 8TB red disk (omv 3.079, poweredge t100) clicking sound every 3 seconds

• OMV 3.x
    • wd 8TB red disk (omv 3.079, poweredge t100) clicking sound every 3 seconds

I use phone to record so please ignore the constant background noise. it's the clicking sound every 3 seconds which I have concern with. the click sound is only noticeable when the room is quite.

hardware: poweredge T110, 4GB memory, 2 wd 8TB red disk (purchaed form bestbuy 2 months ago, removed from 8TB WD easystore USB 3.0 External Hard Drive ), raid 0

when I got it, I use crystaldiskinfo, WD drive utility to scan, and it looks good.

Is that noise typical? I didn't have file transfer, or music/video stream at this moment. and I checked system log, there is registered event every minute, but the clicking noising is about every 3 seconds.

thank you!
      Dell Poweredge T100 (Pentium E5400, 2.7GHz, 2MB Cache,800MH 2, 4GB DDR2 memory, 32-bit)
      OMV 3.0.39
      2 8TB WD RED, RAID 1

The post was edited 1 time, last by hiac ().

• Sounds like the beginning of the "click of death". Hope you have a backup. That would make me nervous.
      omv 5.0.10 usul | 64 bit | 5.0 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.1.1
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • macom wrote:

Do you use Advanced Power Management Settings in Physical Disks Properties?
      Hi macom,

you are everywhere :)

advanced power manager was disabled. After I read you other post, I just set it 127, disabled, and 60 minutes for the first 3 parameters. The click noise remain same. I use a external usb for omv. every 30-60 seconds, the usb's flashlight is on for about 3 seconds. The click noise is not sync with the usb drive's flash light.

In your other post, you mentioned you use hd-idle for almost 2 years now. I wonder if you use advanced power manager and hd-idle at same time? my usage is raid1, and use primary for file backup from a window pc.

Thank you very much for helping me out :)
      Dell Poweredge T100 (Pentium E5400, 2.7GHz, 2MB Cache,800MH 2, 4GB DDR2 memory, 32-bit)
      OMV 3.0.39
      2 8TB WD RED, RAID 1
    • Hi hiac,

I have disabled hdparm completely in the settings of the GUI. Additionally I run
      hdparm -B255 /dev/sdx
      for each drive as scheduled job at reboot of the NAS to be sure it is completely off.

You could post the S.M.A.R.T. info. For this you can use the command below (copied it from tkaiser :D ). Maybe somebody can point you to an indicator for a problem of the drives.
      for disk in /dev/sd? ; do smartctl -x $disk ; done | curl -F 'sprunge=<-' http://sprunge.us
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - OMV4.x | Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:

The post was edited 1 time, last by macom ().

• macom wrote:

Hi hiac,

I have disabled hdparm completely in the settings of the GUI. Additionally I run
      hdparm -B255 /dev/sdx
      for each drive as scheduled job at reboot of the NAS to be sure it is completely off.

You could post the S.M.A.R.T. info. For this you can use the command below (copied it from tkaiser :D ). Maybe somebody can point you to an indicator for a problem of the drives.
      for disk in /dev/sd? ; do smartctl -x $disk ; done | curl -F 'sprunge=<-' http://sprunge.us

Hey macom,

Thank you very much for your detailed instruction.
      I will give some time to "advanced power manager " and see how it behave.

I ran the S.M.A.R.T. command, and here is the result: sprunge.us/MOAL

I tried to educate me as much as I can by using this reference: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T. but I don't have a benchmark to compare how high or low is ideal. If you could do me a favor to take a quick glimpse and see if there is anything stand out, I am greatly appreciated.

A separate question, are you a technical writer by any chance?
      OMV 3.0.39
      2 8TB WD RED, RAID 1
    • macom wrote:

I do not see anything strange in the SMART report. But I am not an expert on SMART. So, if somebody else could have a look....

Until now I am not a technical writer. But who knows.
      What triggered your guess?
      Hi macom,

Thank you very much for helping me out :)
      OMV 3.0.39
      2 8TB WD RED, RAID 1